PDA

View Full Version : I should feel good

LaveyJet
10-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Last Friday I picked up the new boat, 21Â’ Lavey Xtski. Took it up to the local lake on Saturday, it ran great. As good as I hoped. I should feel good. But I feel sad.
We went up to Lake Silverwood Saturday morning. I needed to be back by noon. I live in Highland just east of San Bernardino; the lake is about 45 min away.
We were coming down I-15 through Cajon Pass, the wind was howling. We got into San Bernardino and saw the fire around 11 am. It was bad; the wind was gusting and blowing the smoke sideways. In 1980, I lived in the North end of San Bernardino and was evacuated with the Panorama Fire. This was much worse. My daughter still lives there with my Ex. They were away for the weekend. I called her and told her to get home. In the mean time, IÂ’d keep track of the news.
IÂ’ll never understand the mentality of a TV news director. If some low life loser doesnÂ’t stop for a traffic ticket, thatÂ’s all we see on TV for hours. Each channel has it own helicopter and you canÂ’t get away from it. At noon on Saturday, all thatÂ’s on TV is College Football, informercials, and horse racing.
There's an old quarry filled with water about a mile from my house. All afternoon the big Sikorsky Sky Cranes were filling up. I hoped for the best.
Finally sometime after 3 PM they started TV coverage of the fire, but houses were already burning. Some people didnÂ’t know there was a fire till a knock on the door telling them their neighborÂ’s house is burning. Well the ExÂ’s house is ok, my cousinÂ’s house is ok, two of his neighbors lost theirs.
A group of friends from work planned a trip to Park Moabi next week. This has been planned for months and I'm looking forward to taking the new boat. One of wont be going, she just lost her house.
Over 300 homes were lost, some were my friends.
Mike

lilrick
10-26-2003, 07:28 PM
sorry to hear that .That story bums me out,especially the lack of info on tv!

lilrick
10-26-2003, 07:31 PM
shouldn't the telivision have been using the EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM? what the **** good is it if they don't use it ?!!

JetBoatRich
10-26-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by lilrick
shouldn't the telivision have been using the EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM? what the **** good is it if they don't use it ?!!
there is a lot of red tape for that, because it covers such a broad coverage it may never be used. The closes so far has been for 9/11.
I have been involved in many discussions with different emergency services and that question comes up, when do we use it. Because E.A.S. would cover so many regions, they don't want to panic everyone........short version

jbtrailerjim
10-26-2003, 07:44 PM
I agree with you Second Chance. Yesterday afternoon I keep flicking through the channel's and I could not find any news on about the fires. WTF!! I guess it was more important to show some stupid ass infomercial or some old rerun movie. I was like where the hell is news about the fire.:mad:

v-drive
10-27-2003, 04:57 AM
We feel the same way. They should have one channel that handles these unfortunate events around the clock. v-drive