PDA

View Full Version : Marine Parts

H2OT PURSUIT
10-26-2003, 10:09 PM
I have heard more than one person say that you don't need to use the marine starter,alt., carb, Dist. IF you do not have a covered engine. Opinions???

gnarley
10-26-2003, 10:31 PM
If you want to be sure don't ask here, call your local USCG office & ask them.

Moomawnster
10-27-2003, 12:41 AM
I don't think it matters what you can get away with , the subject here is FIRE ! the USCG rules concerning marine electrics are for the safe use of gasoline engines on the water ......... Gas vapors go BOOM when ignited! , So .... how much $$$$$ did you want to save ? :rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
10-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Moomawnster
I don't think it matters what you can get away with , the subject here is FIRE ! the USCG rules concerning marine electrics are for the safe use of gasoline engines on the water ......... Gas vapors go BOOM when ignited! , So .... how much $$$$$ did you want to save ? :rolleyes:
Gasoline vapors are heavier than air. So they sink into the bilge and can create an explosive mixture. If you do not have a marine alternator, starter, carburator or distributor, the effect can be...well explosive!
The electrics have spark arrestors or shields on them, the carburators have holes drilled in the butterflies to let any standing gas drain into the engine. This keeps it from boiling off and filling the bilge with vapors.
They also have j tubes on the bowl vent/ float overflow to direct any gas that is coming from these orifices down into the engine. I couldn't agree more...get the friggin right stuff, it might just save your boat, if not your ass...