PDA

View Full Version : How many miles on a Duramax

Just Tool'n
10-27-2003, 10:40 PM
How many, & what has needed to be replaced?

Jordy
10-28-2003, 08:24 AM
I've got 36K on mine, so far I've replaced the exhaust, the airbox, the computer program to make the engine run better, and pretty soon, I'll have to replace the tires. :D :D :D

jackpunx
10-28-2003, 08:33 AM
So the bottom line is your happy and haven’t had any problems with your truck?? What kind of performance did you see from those mods?.. I’m trying to decide if I want to stay with GM or go with Ford.. .. They say the Ford is bullet proof as far as 4x4.. but the trannie is weak.. I have also heard that the GM has an amazing drive train ... but its not a great 4x4.. What’s your experience with this...
thanks in advance
Mark

MissHavasuCig
10-28-2003, 09:16 AM
Be careful with choosing the Ford ~ I just got my '03 Excursion with the 6.0 PSD Lemoned! I had so many different problems with it that it was rediculous ~ and our friend has the same exact vehicle and is having many of the same problems!!! We just ordered a 2500HD w/Duramax...

Jordy
10-28-2003, 09:28 AM
I'm very happy and even more impressed with the overall performance. Granted, I work for the Allison dealer and I'm kinda partial, but the Allison is the baddest tranny out there right now. As far as performance gains, I don't have any hard numbers yet as I haven't gone back to the dyno after the programmer, gibson exhaust and K&N cold air kit, but it flat hauls ass. I had my buddy's 6 horse gooseneck this weekend and ran up to Payson (100 miles or so east of Phoenix) and there are some serious hills between here and there. Set the cruise at 70-75 and never slowed down. Unreal.

jackpunx
10-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Nice.. Thank both of you for the reply..
jordanpaulk ,
What kind of mileage are you getting? and did your upgrades void the warrantee?

Jordy
10-28-2003, 09:42 AM
I'm getting 16+ around town. That's with 285's on it and driving it like a race car. Perhaps I could get better if I slowed down a bit. As far as voiding the warranty, not that I'm aware of. The programmer stores the stock setting, so putting it back to stock is not an issue. I've never heard of exhaust or air filters voiding the warranty either. So my money is on no. :D
If you're thinking about the new 6.0 Ford, I haven't heard anything good about them, from injector problems to the tranny, nothing that would make me look twice at them. I'd get an older 7.3 if I was ever tempted to go that route, but I'd pretty certain that I'll never be that tempted. :wink:

fourspeednup
10-28-2003, 10:11 AM
So the bottom line is your happy and haven’t had any problems with your truck?? What kind of performance did you see from those mods?.. I’m trying to decide if I want to stay with GM or go with Ford.. .. They say the Ford is bullet proof as far as 4x4.. but the trannie is weak.. I have also heard that the GM has an amazing drive train ... but its not a great 4x4.. What’s your experience with this...
Are you planning on lifting?
GM
-allison doesn't like bigger tires w/out gears/ recalibration
-ifs sucks
-motor kicks a$$
Ford
-watch the tranny w/ power increase
-solid axle 4X4 rocks
-6.0 makes more power but has issues

JetBoatRich
10-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Looks like you are down to the top trucks out there,.
Heard nothing bad about the Chevy Duramax, like the feel of the Allison. I was talking to a dad on my son's football game with a 2003, he loves his truck.
The people on here told me about thedieselstop.com web site, I lurked there for some time before buying. Once I felt issued were corrected, I purchased a 04-Ford F-350 with the 6.0. No problems, pulls great gas mileage, lots of room. Awesome truck
I think if your buying new, it may come down to personal choice, drive them both and see what features you like.
Jordy and I talked about it, once you have a dielsel you will never go back.
Good luck

jackpunx
10-28-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
GM
-ifs sucks
-motor kicks a$$
Ford
-watch the tranny w/ power increase
-solid axle 4X4 rocks
-6.0 makes more power but has issues
Yea.. I would like to lift it a little around 6" .. I’ve seen the f350 dually with a small lift and off road tires (stock size).. Looked bad ass.. I haven’t seen that with the Chevy yet..Im in the middle of selling and buying a house.. as soon as I get that sorted.. I will be looking very seriously for a new truck.. Someone will score when they buy my truck.. it has all the goodies.. its going to be tough ($$$$) to replace it..

Jordy
10-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
I haven’t seen that with the Chevy yet..
How about this?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23DSC00434-med.JPG
A six inch lift with stock sized tires will look kind of silly. This is stock height with the torsion bars cranked up with 285/75R16's on a 16x10" rim. With a 6" lift and stock tires it will look very silly. With a 6" lift and big tires, you may as well not get a truck and get some kind of SUV so you don't have to deal with the mud flap issue, not to mention the fact the bed of your pickup just became completely useless.

jackpunx
10-29-2003, 08:48 AM
I would love to have it look like this.. but new
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/943Boat_and_truck-med.jpg

y2kboti
10-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
GM
-ifs sucks
-motor kicks a$$
I have thoroughly researched the Allison and large tire myth. I have talked with dozens of D/A owners running 35" or larger tires and I have yet to find a single owner with any problems. IFS may not be the best off-road setup however the ride is 10x better than any SFA vehicle and the durability is severly underrated.
Just Tool'n the Duramax is a great engine. We have an '02 in the family close to 50k miles on it, of that 15k towing a 5er, no major problems. Truck recently started smoking a little but GM is replacing a couple injectors and the fuel filter under warranty. Other than that no problems. I'll will be ordering an '04 3500 SRW CC Long Bed D/A.

Raskal
10-29-2003, 11:01 PM
jordanpaulk
nice truck
i have 305 75 16 on mine .with 16x 8 with no lift .just leveled it out .

Just Tool'n
11-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Just looking to see how high a milage of truck people have out there. And what was repaired.
I heard that in Dec 03 they are making a change in the Duramax, I think it was Injectors, & Pump?
Does anyone know?
I know that the problems they have had has been with the injectors. Due to fuel contamination.
I talked to the Ford guys & they are having injector problems. It seems your oil level goes up, then the injectors need to be changed in them.

GLWBEAR
11-02-2003, 04:59 PM
I've owned Fords, Dodges and now the Chevy Dramax 2500HD 4X4 Crew-Cab with the Banks 4 inch Exhaust and an after Market Chip. The DuraMax is by far the better truck, the Allison 6 speed is sweet. My Fords would always puke at around 50K the Dodge 24 valve was really souped up 397 HP to the rear wheels and it screamed even when towing a DCB Mach 34! Overall for ride, Transmission and motor I'll take the DuraMax any day. I've owned them all. The Ford and Dodges have weak auto trans. The Fords motors don't hold up to a lot of heavy duty towing. My Duramax screams away from my neighbors 2003 Ford Powerstroke and he has a Banks kit on it! For the best overall brute power the Dodge Cummins 24 valve was the best. But is was short lived. Go with the DuraMax, put on the Banks exhaust and buy an Aftermarket chip and you'll be a very happy camper! Gary Williams 408-842-1400 gwilliams@interphasepi.com

buck183
11-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Last time I checked the Allison was a 5 spd tranny.
While I like any GM product, the new 6.0 Powerstroke is going to turn heads. It's hard to beat a truck that outpulls the competition by a full second in the quarter mile (when loaded), has more HP and torque, a higher redline, and as of late, an equivelent transmission.
I have owned GMs my entire life. Still VERY loyal to the product. I have nothing at all against the Duramax. I hear comments about alluminun heads this, injectors that and it all goes in one ear and out the other. I think it's an awesome product. BUT....I have never had one outpull my new 6.0 like mentioned above. Again, not trying to down the product, just being realistic.
Buck

y2kboti
11-03-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by buck183
Last time I checked the Allison was a 5 spd tranny.
Correct
While I like any GM product, the new 6.0 Powerstroke is going to turn heads. It's hard to beat a truck that outpulls the competition by a full second in the quarter mile (when loaded), has more HP and torque, a higher redline, and as of late, an equivelent transmission.
I will reserve my final thoughts on the new 6.0 once Fords get all the problems ironed out. While some of your points are valid how many people drag race their trucks loaded down? More hp/tq, you know how it works...The big 3 rotate every couple years, right now it's Fords turn. Higher redline? Diesel engines are not meant to rev very high, them make a majority of their torque down low so a high redline isn't that important. If it was a gasser that would be a different story.
I know first hand the Duramaxs have had some injector problems, I don't know the details but they are covered under warranty and GM is aware of the issue. GM will be releasing a revised Duramax late this year/beginning of 2004. Everything on GM's website states 300hp/520 ft-lbs tq but sources inside GM say the numbers will meet or possibly overtake the new 6.0 Powerstroke. I'll believe it when I see it but in the meantime Ford holds the hq/tq title!

GLWBEAR
11-03-2003, 01:49 AM
Yeah, I stand corrected, my Allison in my Chevy Duramax is a 5 speed. The Allison in my Freightliner is a 6 speed.
My error....I stand corrected.
GLWBEAR

Jordy
11-03-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by buck183
and as of late, an equivelent transmission.
I don't know if I'd go that far... ;)

78Eliminator
11-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Hey jackass, why are you posting in "Tow Rigs"? Have you even towed the yellow boat with your new truck? When is the last time you have even put it in the water?
:D :D :wink:

Jordy
11-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Hey jackass, why are you posting in "Tow Rigs"? Have you even towed the yellow boat with your new truck? When is the last time you have even put it in the water?
:D :D :wink:
Ha ha ha, you're one funny focker today. I towed the yellow boat to Parker for RD's birthday... all in all I had it out half a dozen times this year... :p

78Eliminator
11-03-2003, 09:41 AM
No kidding!? Then I take it all back. Not that you aren't a jackass, just that you used you actually did use your boat.

Jordy
11-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
No kidding!? Then I take it all back. Not that you aren't a jackass, just that you used you actually did use your boat.
When exactly was the last time the 78 Eliminator saw water? RD's birthday last year? Or the last time the "carb guru" was tinkering with it. I don't want to hear your shit as my yellow boat has been wet far more than your Daytona Sailboat or the pimp ass green boat as of late... :p :D

y2kboti
11-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Just Tool'n
I heard that in Dec 03 they are making a change in the Duramax, I think it was Injectors, & Pump?
Does anyone know?
While GM has acknowledged the new Duramax(option code LLY) they have not released any details. Here is what was posted on another board.
Heads have been redesigned to make the injectors accessible without removing the valve covers. Injectors are supposedly of Tier III emission standards, so in 2006 all they have to do is some computer remapping at it'll be Tier III compliant. ALL TRUCKS will be equipped with catalytic converters and will be 50-state emissions certified, which means EGR will be a component as well.... damn EPA bastards. It will have a Garret Variable Vane Turbo, which is said to significantly increase low rpm torque, as the spool up time is reduced tremendously.

catcrazy
11-03-2003, 08:22 PM
HAD MY DURAMAX FOR 8 MONTHS NOW. 15,000 MILES ON IT ,BEST TRUCK I'VE EVER OWNED.CREW CAB 4x4 LT. THE ONLY THING I WANT THEM TO PUT ON IT IS THE QUADRASTEER SYS. :)

jackpunx
11-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Have you made any mods to the suspension?

Jordy
11-04-2003, 10:50 AM
The one thing I would strongly recommend to all the HD truck owners is to get rid of the dinosaur oil in the tranny and run Allison Transynd instead. 50,000 mile service intervals (you can actually run it 75,000 in heavy duty situations and 150,000 light duty) and it runs cooler as well. Highly recommended. :D

Havasu Cig
11-04-2003, 11:29 AM
When we ordered our's a couple weeks ago we were told by the dealer that if we lifted the truck and put larger tires on it the warranty on the tranny would be void. He said the memo had just come down from GM. This is only for trucks with the Allison.
Anyone else hear the same thing????

jackpunx
11-04-2003, 02:21 PM
that sux..

Party Cat
11-05-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
When we ordered our's a couple weeks ago we were told by the dealer that if we lifted the truck and put larger tires on it the warranty on the tranny would be void. He said the memo had just come down from GM. This is only for trucks with the Allison.
We picked up our 04 CC 4x4 Duramax Dually on Saturday and the dealer told us the same thing....he didn't know exactly what the problem was but told us that if we lifted....the warranty would be voided....:confused:

Jordy
11-05-2003, 07:48 AM
I'll see what I can find out. I can pretty much do whatever I want and it'll still be under warranty. :p :D

Just Tool'n
11-05-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I'll see what I can find out. I can pretty much do whatever I want and it'll still be under warranty. :p :D
Jordy, you the man!

Jordy
11-06-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Just Tool'n
Jordy, you the man!
Not really. It just so happens that I work for the man. The man being the Allison dealer here in Phoenix. ;) :D

buck183
11-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by y2kboti
Correct
I will reserve my final thoughts on the new 6.0 once Fords get all the problems ironed out. While some of your points are valid how many people drag race their trucks loaded down? More hp/tq, you know how it works...The big 3 rotate every couple years, right now it's Fords turn. Higher redline? Diesel engines are not meant to rev very high, them make a majority of their torque down low so a high redline isn't that important. If it was a gasser that would be a different story.
I know first hand the Duramaxs have had some injector problems, I don't know the details but they are covered under warranty and GM is aware of the issue. GM will be releasing a revised Duramax late this year/beginning of 2004. Everything on GM's website states 300hp/520 ft-lbs tq but sources inside GM say the numbers will meet or possibly overtake the new 6.0 Powerstroke. I'll believe it when I see it but in the meantime Ford holds the hq/tq title!
I am well aware of how Diesels make power. The higher redline has been mentioned in EVERY test I have seen between these three engines. ALL the testers commented on the ease of towing on grades with the new Powerstroke due to the engine operating at a more optimum RPM. This is due to the higher redline. There were comments made by all testers to the affect of not having to stand on the gas while towing up hill with the 6.0. They also said this was not the case with the Duramax and Cummins.
Don't get me wrong I like and respect the Duramax. Still love the comfort and ride quality of GM trucks. Always have.
Bottom line, right now the new king of the hill is the 6.0 Powerstroke. Probably not enough difference to matter between the Ford and the GM to scream about though. Although there was a difference.
This should about say it all http://ftw.truckmoxie.com/visit.asp?http://ftw.truckmoxie.com/visit.asp?http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/2003shootout/page1.html
That is consistent with all 8 shootouts I've seen between these three. If I were Dodge I would stay at home with performances like that.
Buck

GRASS PAY$
11-17-2003, 11:32 PM
Just Tool'n, I have a HD with 15,000 miles with a 13in lift on 40's and love it. The duarmaxs kicks ass, But the allison lasted about 10,000 miles same with the injectors.

Party Cat
11-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
I talked to my neighbor (service writer for a Chevy dealer) about this over the weekend.....the only thing he's heard is that some peeps were using resistors to correct the speedometer readings after lifting and putting bigger tires on the trucks....this was screwing up the trannys big time....as far as I know if ya correct the speedo with a programmer or chip....you're ok....the problem is with the homemade resistor fixes.....

life's a river
11-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Party cat, have you heard anything about lager tires making the turbo work better? I was at Robby Gordon's offroad shop a couple of weeks ago and they told me that 35's will make the truck/ turbo work better. Are they just blowing smoke up my A$$? Will a 2" lift hurt the tranny?
LAR

Party Cat
11-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by life's a river
Party cat, have you heard anything about lager tires making the turbo work better? I was at Robby Gordon's offroad shop a couple of weeks ago and they told me that 35's will make the truck/ turbo work better. Are they just blowing smoke up my A$$? Will a 2" lift hurt the tranny?
LAR
I haven't heard anything on bigger tires working better....mine is a 3500 CC 4x4 dually....I don't think I'll be putting anything bigger on mine so I won't be lifted.....I'm not a mechanic, but I don't see how a 2" lift can screw up the tranny.....screwing with the electronics to compensate for gear/tire size change maybe....but not a lift...If ya use one of the programmers to correct for tire/gear changes I'd say that you're safe too.....

life's a river
11-19-2003, 10:37 AM
Party cat, does the 2" lift void the warranty?

jackpunx
11-19-2003, 10:38 AM
how about a 6" lift and 35's

Mrs Luvnlife
11-19-2003, 11:17 AM
We have an 03 2500HD Duramax and we put a 6" with 35's and before we did it, I called the # in the warranty booklet and spoke with someone cuz I was concerned about voiding the warranty. He checked and told me that nothing is officially or automatically voided, if you have a problem and you take it in, depending on what the problem is, it is possible that they can point the finger at the bigger tires. So we took the chance, hopefully nothing will happen. :mad: We used the hypertech programmer for the odometer.

jackpunx
11-19-2003, 03:45 PM
how is that engine doing with the 35's?.. and did the milage change?(much):D

al cole'holic
11-19-2003, 08:40 PM
Only been about a week so far with the lift/tires, but so far the truck seems good. I can almost see the need to do the gears although I haven't towed the boat with her yet...
:D
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/trucky.jpg

fourspeednup
11-19-2003, 10:12 PM
I interned at a chevy dealership last spring and changed out several Allison tranny's on lifted HD's. Very important to do gear change and speedo correction esp. if towing. Basically, it thinks that you're going uphill all the time. It's a very stout trans but if the electronic controls aren't happy it won't live long.:eek:
The trans. tech that supervised me said he'd already done a few at or below 9000 miles:yuk:
Only been about a week so far with the lift/tires, but so far the truck seems good. I can almost see the need to do the gears although I haven't towed the boat with her yet...
The dmax has plenty of power to overcome the tall gears without feeling sluggish. Still hurting the tans though

Mrs Luvnlife
11-20-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by jackpunx
how is that engine doing with the 35's?.. and did the milage change?(much):D
Doesn't seem like the engine even knows 35's are on it, it's as good as the day we brought it home! We haven't had 'the best' gas mileage with it, we towed the boat one time to Laughlin recently and I think we got only around 11. We went to AZ last month not towing and we got around 15 or 16, I would have to ask the MR to be sure. We had absolutely NO problems pulling our 23' Eliminator. It's a keeper, I love the truck! :D

Froggystyle
11-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by al cole'holic
:D
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/trucky.jpg
Wheels look great on her!
Truck looks awesome.

Flying Tiger
11-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Our bigger tires gave the truck a smoother ride, and made the brakes feel softer.
They arent less effective, but compaired to the stone hard Firestone bicycle tires that came with the truck, the brakeing felt a bit softer.

life's a river
11-24-2003, 12:04 PM
FT, what size tires did you go with and do you know what is the largest tire I can put on without a lift kit?
LAR

jackpunx
11-24-2003, 02:31 PM
probably a 31

jm2drvr
11-24-2003, 05:14 PM
I love chevy's, but the duramax is driving my best friend crazy. He is a truck mechanic at a chev. dealer. He has been up to his elbows in duramax's for the last 3 months. Every day he is seeing more and more of them with one problem or another, mostly injector issues though. They are suppose to change the injectors to a new style by the end of the year, and say that the problem will be solved. We will see.

Just Tool'n
11-24-2003, 09:11 PM
So let's here how high of milage that you have put on them?
Who's got 50k-75k, or over 100k on there rigs yet?

Flying Tiger
11-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by life's a river
FT, what size tires did you go with and do you know what is the largest tire I can put on without a lift kit?
LAR
I have the Goodrich All terrains 285 75 16's.
I tried the 295's and they won't fit.
With the 285's on the 2500 HD, you have to trim a little of the inside wheelwell driverside front plastic. No problem and not noticable,, about 2".
Then as your stock shocks start to fatique, you have to trim a little more and a little more as time passes.
Plus:
You can tell when the rear shocks are pretty well gone by a smooth nicer ride, and a clunk in the driveline when you take off from a full stop. It feels like the trans is dropping in gear from neutral, it's not. The tired, sloppy rear shocks have lost their rebound and the driveline feels the slack.
More noticeable in warmer weather.

79EliminatorDC
11-26-2003, 07:11 AM
I have a 03 Excursion Ltd. 4 X 4 I've got 13,000 trouble free miles. There were some issues with the pre jan 2003 build dates Ford has that worked out now. If you read these pro chevy post's you need to do mods to get the kind of performance you get from a stock 6.0 stroke. As far as the tranny goes 2003 it's a new 5spd auto ( TorqShift ) the TowHaul mod is sweet you just need to go drive both and see what you like. These are the faces of Dmax owners I've come across after leaving them in the dust :( :confused: :eek!:

Flying Tiger
11-30-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 79EliminatorDC
These are the faces of Dmax owners I've come across after leaving them in the dust :( :confused: :eek!:
Not me brother, I have the 496 gas and haven't been passed by a Ford yet.
The tow haul mode is best used above 6000lbs.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939PB260056-med.JPG

LUVNLIFE
11-30-2003, 07:16 PM
FT you are right about the haul mode. It is not needed unless the weight is up there. We have a 23' Eliminator and I don't need to use the haul mode.

carreraelite
12-03-2003, 08:46 PM
2001 2500HD crewcab,s/b, 2 wd,8.1 Allison,3:73,23,000miles...No problems. I have never used the "Tow/Haul" mode.

Jordy
12-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by carreraelite
2001 2500HD crewcab,s/b, 2 wd,8.1 Allison,3:73,23,000miles...No problems. I have never used the "Tow/Haul" mode.
23,000 miles? Whaadya do, walk everywhere? My '02 just rolled 40,000 yesterday. :D

Washed Ashore
12-04-2003, 06:56 PM
I have an 01 1ton D-MAX with 50,000 miles,it had an electrical problem,about the third time in they found it.That was when it had about 10,000 miles,I have a 110hp Van Aeken box,ATS intake/air filter,4"exhaust and propane. I have had no trouble since,and yes it hauls ass!!!!

Wicky
12-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Flying Tiger
Not me brother, I have the 496 gas and haven't been passed by a Ford yet.
The tow haul mode is best used above 6000lbs.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939PB260056-med.JPG
Now that is funny!!!

Wicky
12-04-2003, 08:41 PM
03' 2500 HD-6.0 GAS
So far, 15K miles and still smiling. I had a 99' 2500 with the 6.0 with 87K and had zero problems. That is why I now have an 03 GMC 2500HD. I have nearly 15K and the truck is tits. I love driving it. I hauled nearly 4.0 tons of vinyl a few weeks ago from L.A. to Boise and averaged around 11.5@78-80mph and passing Fords at will.
I believe all new trucks are the shit. It doesn't matter what brand it is as long as you dont get a turd, which any automaker is capable of doing.
I did get a turd. Dodge made it right in the long run but, should have dealt with it better in the short run.
I am extremely pleased with the last two GMC's I have had.
Both had 6.0s but I still haven't been passed by a Ford yet either!!!!! I can't imagine what that 496 is like!!!
Mow,
Wicky

HEATHEN
12-07-2003, 04:24 PM
I am about to hit 900 miles on my DMAX.The power is unreal!

al cole'holic
12-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 79EliminatorDC
I have a 03 Excursion Ltd. 4 X 4 I've got 13,000 trouble free miles. There were some issues with the pre jan 2003 build dates Ford has that worked out now. If you read these pro chevy post's you need to do mods to get the kind of performance you get from a stock 6.0 stroke. As far as the tranny goes 2003 it's a new 5spd auto ( TorqShift ) the TowHaul mod is sweet you just need to go drive both and see what you like. These are the faces of Dmax owners I've come across after leaving them in the dust :( :confused: :eek!:
..this is a pretty funny post 79EDC, I have both and they both suck balls without any mods. Serious d o g s without a chip or something to wake em up..in fact I still can't figure out which is worse bone stock, the D-max or the P-stroke....?

Jordy
12-13-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by HEATHEN
I am about to hit 900 miles on my DMAX.The power is unreal!
Wait until you get some mods done. It will be a whole new ballgame. I'm in Vegas right now and paid STV Keith a visit at his shop yesterday. Got rid of my Superchips programmer and went with the Edge box and the Attitude display... All I can say is holy shit. I can now broil the tires from a stop off the line and light them up again when I hit second. Smoked some guy who thought he was a baller in his 6.0 POSD. :D
I can help you out with a Gibson exhaust if you want to go that route. :D

HEATHEN
12-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Smokin the tires in second?That would put a smile on my face!Still looking at all the options.First diesel I have owned and trying not to do things twice.Is it possible to program tire size for speedo with the Edge Attitude combo?Thinking of going with 285s.What are you runnin for tires?

Jordy
12-15-2003, 08:08 AM
I'm running 285/75R16 Mud Terrains on 16x10" Welds. There is a calculation for the Attitude box for tire size, but I don't think it has anything to do with the power, rather it is to calibrate the internal speedometer that displays the corrected speed on the display itself. It will give you boost, pyro, tranny slip, and a whole bunch of other information. You can pick up to 4 to display. It also gives you the ability to toggle through the power modes while under way without having to shut off the truck and go through that whole spiel (with a programmer). STV_Keith is the guy to talk to for all your diesel performance needs (Unless you want Gibson Exhaust, then you can talk to me). :D
Also, after you run it around for a while, I strongly advise changing out the tranny fluid and running the synthetic Allison brand "Transynd." It knocked 30+ degrees off the tranny temp and can run 100,000 miles in between services (it will actually go 150K, but I'm planning on changing it again at the 100K mark).

UnionJack
12-25-2003, 01:13 PM
I have the edge chip in mine, and I just turned 3k miles, the truck is great in and out

Kilrtoy
12-26-2003, 09:23 AM
I love how people say I passed everyone at will and so on.
DID it ever occur to you, that the person driving may prefer to tow slower than you.
I have never been passed while towing in my expedition, MAYBE CUZ I DRIVE LIKE A MAD MAN.
All 2500 and superdutys tow well. its the driver who dictates the speed......