PDA

View Full Version : Nautical Inn Sucks!!!

steve0123
10-28-2003, 12:20 PM
OK I just have to vent here. I'm totally F**king PO'd!
stayed at the Nautical at the end of Sept for the weekend. The guy at the front counter couldn't get either credit card to go through...( I thought it was strange since they both had plenty of credit, which the banks confirmed, he said he 'been having that problem all day') so I paid the $600 in cash for the weekend, and headed over to the bar for a couple of drinks (Thurs night)
Was supposed to check out on Sunday, but Saturday our room keys quit working. They had us checking out on the wrong date, no problem, went to the front to fix it, back on the water Saturday. Left on Sunday for that fun 1000 mile drive back to Denver.
last week got my credit card statement, found out they also charged my card a few days later (when I checked out) too!
After calling, being transferred, leaving two messages for Jenifer, never getting a call back, finally the third try reaching her in person, her and her supervisor Annita pretty much told me that without a cash receipt they wouldn't refund the card, so I got charged twice!
Needless to say I didn't keep a cash receipt for four weeks, I've stayed there before too. My wife and buddys couldn't believe it. Nautical refused to acknowledge their accounting system could have made an error in not showing the overage, they say they've never had any system card errors, and they apparently don't recall the incorrect checkout problem either. But Annita was plenty bitchy!
On top of all this, their lauch ramp is in about two feet of water, found this out the hard way with a new lab finished prop! At least I didnt' break off my lower like the poor guy in the glastron right behind me!
So I don't think I'll be staying there anymore!
Stu

mbrown2
10-28-2003, 12:28 PM
That sucks...can't you have your Credit Card company not pay it letting them know you already paid and have the Nautical prove you did not pay cash through their accounting from cash payments that day?

Dr. Eagle
10-28-2003, 12:30 PM
Ouch! I will make note of that fiasco. Pretty crappy customer service. I think that is akin to stealing your money...akin hell!
I would pursue this with the state of AZ they may have a consumer affairs dept or someone to help you!

HavasuDreamin'
10-28-2003, 12:36 PM
I would try a dispute with your credit card company. You would think the nautical would have documentation regarding your cash payment and also your credit card payment.
As much as you don't want to hear it, I would have made damn sure I kept the cash receipt if I had just plunked down $600 for two nights after some dimwit ran several credit cards through the machine claiming they did not work.
:(

Dr. Eagle
10-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Actually, I think you can get the credit card company to meidate the dispute for you. You have to write a letter to the card company, and explain the circumstances. I am pretty sure it has to be at least 60 days since the incident.
First I would write Nautical Inn a letter laying out the circumstances and telling them that you will be pursuing this matter up to and including challenging the charges with the Credit Card company, or as last resort go to Small Claims.
I just did this for my mom and dad with good ol Frys where they bought a computer. They got a series of 3 lemmons from Frys in a period of 3 months.
They tried to get their money back and the manager told them more or less tough luck.
I wrote them a letter telling them they were in breach of their warranty and we gave them 3 business days to fix it, or we go to the credit card company for mediation. They called on the 3rd day and gave my mom and dad a full refund.
Worth a try, I would not eat that crap!!!:mad: :mad:

Ziggy
10-28-2003, 12:44 PM
I'm always EXTREMELY wary of anyone who says my card won't work when I know damn well its good....I'd say you got jacked by the one who originally checked you in...sad story to hear, even sadder to hear it happen to one of our ***boaters...hope you have a chance to rectify it

THOR
10-28-2003, 12:47 PM
Note to self: Dont stay at the Nautical

Mandelon
10-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Definitely get a letter out to your credit card company, a letter to the hotel, and threaten another couple of letters to the LHC Chamber of Commerce and the Better Business Bureau.
The accounting should have come up with the extra money in the system, since the room was paid for twice their books won't balance properly. Tell them you will have their book subpoenaed if they don't get in line.

Tremor Therapy
10-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, and now all of my friends wonder why I will sleep in the Safeway parking lot before I stay at the Nautical Inn:mad:

JetBoatRich
10-28-2003, 12:57 PM
If they did not get the card to go throoug, did you sign a receit for it? They would have a copy of that:confused:
Let the Credit Card company help you:(

HavasuDreamin'
10-28-2003, 01:03 PM
You need to contact the credit card company immediately. Don't wait. After a certain period of time (I forget how long), the credit card company can't help you nearly as much as they can up front.

Dr. Eagle
10-28-2003, 01:14 PM
Regardless of what happened, I would definitely contact the credit card company and get them working on this right away. For the simple reason that there may be some criminal activity here, if nothing else. If that clerk pocketed the money and charged your credit card later, he needs to have a visit from Boatcop!

gnarley
10-28-2003, 01:17 PM
We ALWAYS keep reciepts! Sometimes for months or years just to avoid problems like this.
Live & learn

Dave C
10-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Call you CC company ASAP and dispute the overage.
I know if you dispute the charges, the Nautical will then have to produce the charge slips with your signature. So if they only have one slip then they can't charge you twice. In the meantime they remove the funds from their account until they produce the signed slips at which point they put the funds back.
Good luck.

TheEduKATor
10-28-2003, 01:20 PM
I've had a couple of similar cases with McCullough Reality. My family and I have been using them for the last 4-5 years to rent houses, or condos for week long vacations. For 4th of July we stayed there, payed the $1200 cash, and had to pay a $600 security deposit either cash or on a credit card. Since we already paid the $1200 cash, we just put the security deposit on a credit card. We stayed there again 2 weeks later and did the same thing. I get my credit card statement at the end of the month and come to find out they charge my card $600 for one of the visits, and once for $600 to my dad's credit card for the 4th of July vacation. I kept the receipts though, and made a claim with my bank but I ended up getting it cleared with the reality place, now I'm working on getting my dad his $600 back. They had a copy of the transaction on file, hopefully the Nautical does to. McCullough did not give me attitude they wanted to solve the issue because they know we are repeat customers. They sent me a letter appologizing plus credited the account the $600 immediately.

SCUBA STEVE
10-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
I'm always EXTREMELY wary of anyone who says my card won't work when I know damn well its good....I'd say you got jacked by the one who originally checked you in...sad story to hear, even sadder to hear it happen to one of our ***boaters...hope you have a chance to rectify it
I was thinking the same thing. :frown:
That is complete b.s. I hope you get your $ back, with out much more hassle.

Troubles No More
10-28-2003, 01:47 PM
What if the clerk(s) that check you in pocket the money and destroyed the paper work and charged your card. The management at the Nautical Inn would have no documentation showing you paying in cash. It would be up to you to provide a receipt for the room.
But you would thing that Nautical Inn would provide you with a copy of the receipt with your signature and with the correct date you check in/out. The policy in most establishments is to show proof of payment with a CC or a large cash deposit to protect the room in case you damaged the furnishings / room before you can stay in the motel.
Did the clerk ask for a deposit?
Why would the clerk let you stay in a room with no deposit and no CC ?
Why would the clerk wait until you are back in Colorado to charge your card?
I have learned the hard way that you have to keep all paper work….

carreraboat
10-28-2003, 01:55 PM
what dave c said if they do not have your signature on a charge slip they cannot charge your account period if they try to take you to court they will loose no signature no deal period
good luck

steve0123
10-28-2003, 01:56 PM
both the credit card company and Nautical said they won't help me unless I provide the Cash receipt.
Y'know that was actually my plan all along, drive 1000 miles, stay there four times this year, bring along the 150k boat, but then, at the last minute one time try to screw Nautical out of $600 cash because its worth my time away from my own business aaaarrrgghhhh!!
so, uh I'll be saving cash receipts from now on, and anyone know somewhere else nice to stay lol
Stu

MagicMtnDan
10-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Tremor Therapy
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, and now all of my friends wonder why I will sleep in the Safeway parking lot before I stay at the Nautical Inn:mad:
Look who's here - it's TT! Hey Alan, what's up?! :cool:

carreraboat
10-28-2003, 01:59 PM
had a bad experince with the nautical (long story) vowed i would never stay at that over priced s@#t box again now i stay a the island inn cant leave the boat in the water but atleast the people are nice

Ntwotrance
10-28-2003, 02:00 PM
This may be a stupid question (never been at Nautical), but do they have a camera there? Most hotels and Inns have cameras running 24/7 not only to watch people coming in and out, but to watch the clerks to avoid them pocketing money....

MagicMtnDan
10-28-2003, 02:01 PM
Sounds like the desk clerk who checked you in ripped you off and took your cash. And that's why (a) they charged your credit card and (b) have no record of you paying.
Do you have the name of the person who checked you in and the time you checked in? That kind of info would be helpful when you talk to Nautical Inn management.

NoCal NoBoat
10-28-2003, 02:03 PM
I worked a front desk for seven years. Hotels "close" their books nightly. The auditor comes in on the graveyard shift, balances all departments, and posts room & tax charges.
The good Dr and Mandelon nailed it. Your $ 600 cash payment was not posted (and possibly pocketed), or it was posted to the wrong room, and somebody else got a big surprise at checkout and said nada...
Dispute the charge with your credit card company ASAP.
Hotels customarily request a credit card at check in. If you don't stop by the front desk to check out, they will charge any balance to the credit card and tell the company "signature on file" (the registration card).
There should be enough of a paper trail that the Nautical's accountant should be able to recreate what happened...

ROZ
10-28-2003, 02:07 PM
I thought that was just because you're a cheap bastard :p :D

Tremor Therapy
10-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Okay so I now have to say hi to both Dan And Chris.
Dan I have lurked here forever, and finally had enough of one topic to post......you know where it goes from here.
As far as Chris goes......cheap bastard? I'll remember that the next time I want to buy stereo gear at 45% off!

gmocnik
10-28-2003, 02:18 PM
those bastards pulled the same crap with me several years ago..
we checked in late..."the card won't go thru, give me cash.."
luckily i figured it out only a week after and the cc company took care of it.....
i hate that friggin place....

ROZ
10-28-2003, 02:30 PM
As far as Chris goes......cheap bastard? I'll remember that the next time I want to buy stereo gear at 45% off!
Exactly!...lol . :D ..Things must be slow at the RRX site for you to come over here a slummin' ;)
Hows the air in your building...
Oh and um, hows the new dog?:eek: ;) :D

M.P. PERFORMANCE
10-28-2003, 02:59 PM
You have no idea how bad they suck!!!!!!!
I went to stay at the Nautical on memorial day and one of my friends had prepaid for rooms for everyone( 9 ROOMS ). When I pulled in on Friday night the lady at the front asked me for a credit card so that she coulud put a 500.00 saftey deposit on the room incase it got f*cked up. I thought that was completely understandable but if nothing got messed up I was supposed to get the money back on my card. Well I put it on my company card thinking that I would get it back. Durring check out the woman at the front desk told me that the card had been credited. So it was over, right? WRONG. When my company recieved the statement I had been charged for all 9 f*cking rooms. How do you think my boss felt when he got a 2500.00 dollar charge on my card. To top it all off, it took them 3 months to get it corrected.
I will never stay there again!!!:yuk: :mad:

jackpunx
10-28-2003, 03:24 PM
That really sux .. Sounds like horror stories.. Sorry about your experiences there..
But for the record.. I have never had a problem there...
This is a pic from our room... Been there and had a lot of fun .. as a result of that.. I purchased a time share..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/943sunrise_from_room-med.jpg

Tremor Therapy
10-28-2003, 04:10 PM
Hows the air in your building...
Oh and um, hows the new dog?:eek: ;) :D
The building is 155,000 square feet, and there is so much smoke in the air that there is a haze when look accross the floor. We have issued masks to all 100 daytime employees that are left.
As far as the dog, I got your dog.....rightovahe!

MagicMtnDan
10-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by M.P. PERFORMANCE
You have no idea how bad they suck!!!!!!!
I went to stay at the Nautical on memorial day and one of my friends had prepaid for rooms for everyone( 9 ROOMS ). When I pulled in on Friday night the lady at the front asked me for a credit card so that she coulud put a 500.00 saftey deposit on the room incase it got f*cked up. I thought that was completely understandable but if nothing got messed up I was supposed to get the money back on my card. Well I put it on my company card thinking that I would get it back. Durring check out the woman at the front desk told me that the card had been credited. So it was over, right? WRONG. When my company recieved the statement I had been charged for all 9 f*cking rooms. How do you think my boss felt when he got a 2500.00 dollar charge on my card. To top it all off, it took them 3 months to get it corrected.
I will never stay there again!!!:yuk: :mad:
Uh, 9 rooms x $500 each = $4500
In any case the hotel clearly has a problem and is losing all kinds of business (maybe they don't care cuz they're so busy?). Has anyone checked with Better Business Bureau (BBB)? Has anyone called to talk to the manager/owner? Has anyone called Lake Havasu City Police?
They could have a "policy" of taking whatever they can from credit cards for as long as they can and keep whatever $ isn't asked to be returned. And even if the customer gets it back they got a float (loan) for the months they had the ca$h.
Sounds like a place not to stay. I know we won't stay there again based on this info.

NoCal NoBoat
10-28-2003, 04:44 PM
Here's how it should work - admittedly the "old school" version.
You check in - paying cash. I ask you for a credit card for "identification" or "security deposit" or "signing privledges"
You give me your Visa, AMEX, whatever. I would imprint your card
and run it for $ 1.00 - just to find out that it wasn't lost, stolen, or over limit.
Or I collect room and tax times the number of nights you're planning to stay. In advance. Then I lock the minibar, and keep a close eye on your long distance phone charges. No in-room movies for you, and don't plan on signing that room service check.
Some properties will estimate your total bill at check in, and put a "hold" on that much of your credit line.
(Causes problems sometimes, though, when their guest goes out to dinner, tries to charge it, and finds out that his host hotel has "grabbed" the remainder of his credit line)
At check out, it has to be a) Cash or b) Credit Card or c) Direct Bill by prior arrangement.
In Steve0123's case, they should look at the registration card. At minimum, there should be a date/time stamp. Either manual or computer generated. They can figure out which cashier(s) were on shift, and go from there. Cash over/short ? Somebody should be $ 600 over, or ???

tool'n'around
10-28-2003, 04:57 PM
Hey! man just call your credit card company and say it was a fraudulent charge... if you didn't sign the receipt your not responsible for the charge... Ha Ha stick it to those punks...

burtandnancy
10-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Had the same problem last month with the Nautical, however in my case, both Jennifer and Anita were very helpful. I had over $600 of overcharges, and I got them to reverse them. Also, Visa said not to pay that portion of the bill. I'll know if it all worked on next months statement.
The Nautical is continually having computer problems in all departments. At the charges they get, they can afford new or at least a service contract...

GlastronGuy
10-28-2003, 05:40 PM
I am shocked that your CC company won't help you. Call them again and speak to someone else.

locogringo
10-28-2003, 09:12 PM
You would do that Alan???

Essex502
10-29-2003, 07:03 AM
Two words: American Express! I've traveled all over the world and used the Amex card everywhere. Whenever I had a problem with anything related to a charge Amex does all of the work cheerfully and usually with only 1 phone call. I've been a victim of fraud in a couple of instances...."Sir, call us when your statement arrives and we'll take care of it."
Another recommendation....most CC companies make your account activity available online...I check ours weekly so that I know its status in a timely manner. No surprises.
Yet another recommendation: Keep your receipts until you do your taxes or 1 year...whichever comes last! That way you always have proof of purchase for issues like this or warranty issues on purchases. Doesn't take much...just a show box or three.
Last recommendation...I once used a bank issued Visa card and had a dispute with a local merchant...Letters back and forth to the bank on the dispute and they basically said: "tough luck". I wrote their president a formal letter stating that since I had been a good customer for several years that I was going to close my account and move the funds to another institution if this dispute wasn't settled (BTW the disput was over $80 but there is a principle!). I week later I received a letter - ostensibly from the President of the bank - saying that the dispute would be settled and my account credited for the charges. When they looked at the amount of business I didwith them they, I guess, felt it wasn't worth losing me over that amount. Try it - it might work as a last resort.

Dr. Eagle
10-29-2003, 07:51 AM
I would not let this go if it were me. A formal demand letter is a very powerful thing just like Essex502 said. It is easy to blow you off on the phone, but put it in writing and suddenly people get the picture that a paper trail is being laid. I would send the letter to the attention of Nautical, lay out the circumstances and send under separate cover letter a copy of the Nautical correspondence to the Visa card company. I would also tell them in writing that you dispute the charges as a double charge or potential fraud. If it is in writing, they have to answer you in writing.
Also a copy of the letter with a separate cover could be sent to the Chamber of Commerce and Better Business Bureau. Who knows, might just be able to prod them into doing the right thing.
The other is to contact the Sheriff and report it as a fraud. There has to be a paper trail on this at Nautical, and if not someone pocketed the money...

MAXIMUS
10-29-2003, 08:31 AM
I just spent a week there oct 10-17 & could not say enough about the rooms & accomadations! Very choice spot to be but very pricy! We are going to make it an annual thing!:cool:

Essex502
10-29-2003, 08:35 AM
To expand on Dr. Eagle's suggestions..."cc" all of the involved parties on each letter you send so that everyone knows that what you are saying is being told to all.

AzDon
10-29-2003, 08:43 AM
Lake Havasu City does not have a Better Business Bureau and most entities here will probably work hardest at sweeping this thing under the rug. If you had a cash reciept and a police report, the local newspaper might be interested in your story (or maybe not) I'd definitely write to the Arizona Atty. General and let the Nautical and newspaper know I did so!
I recently attended a timeshare presentation at the Nautical, and they told me that their entity had bought the Nautical property to the tiki terrace and that they would own the entire property by the first of the year, and eventually it will no longer be a hotel.

Dr. Eagle
10-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
To expand on Dr. Eagle's suggestions..."cc" all of the involved parties on each letter you send so that everyone knows that what you are saying is being told to all.
Thanks for the assist 502!;)

Dr. Eagle
10-29-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by AzDon
Lake Havasu City does not have a Better Business Bureau and most entities here will probably work hardest at sweeping this thing under the rug. If you had a cash reciept and a police report, the local newspaper might be interested in your story (or maybe not) I'd definitely write to the Arizona Atty. General and let the Nautical and newspaper know I did so!
I recently attended a timeshare presentation at the Nautical, and they told me that their entity had bought the Nautical property to the tiki terrace and that they would own the entire property by the first of the year, and eventually it will no longer be a hotel.
AZ Don, I agree that the businesses and resort interests will likely try to sweep it under the rug, which is why you need to make as much noise as possible. like Essex said write letters and cc everyone under the sun. SOMETIMES it will work. SOMETIMES you just have to accept the fact you got screwed. Personally I would not give up without at least a skirmish, if not a full scale battle.
:mad:
And no BBB? Hmmmmmm...........................wonder why? Not enough businesses in town to support it? Maybe so...maybe no one wants one...will we ever know...??

steve0123
10-29-2003, 12:21 PM
thanks for all the good ideas. I think I will write to the Nautical, and follow up further with the CC company. And you guys are right, now that I think about it, the guy made a stink about the room being prepaid when I checked in, and I'm pretty sure they have camera's too....
OK now I'm getting worked up again.
thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.
Stu