PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Fires Getting Worse....

Mandelon
10-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Heard this on the radio. No TV here at work. So correct this if wrong but I have heard that the East County is burning up!! The campgrounds along 79 on the way from 8 to Julian are going up, and potentially Julian too. Casa Picacho, and Green Valley.
The 8 is closed, Harbinson canyon on fire too..
http://www.kfmb.com/misc/sd_fires_2003/maps_1028/cedar_fire.jpg

Mandelon
10-28-2003, 03:45 PM
So CAl air quality is pretty bad right now.....
http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/modisrr/lg_fire/lg_fire_nifc_2003-10-28.pnghttp://www.kfmb.com/misc/sd_fires_2003/aerial_map_new.jpg

riverbound
10-28-2003, 03:50 PM
I have been watching the news all day and San Diego is looking bad. I am keeping an eye on the rimcrest fire they evacuated big bear and we can not get up there to empty the house. We have had fires get close before but there seems to be no control on this one.:frown:

STGP
10-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Air quality here in Temecula is bad right now too.

ROZ
10-28-2003, 03:56 PM
I just got of the phone with an SD Fire fighter who says that they are expecting the winds to pick up again...:(

77charger
10-28-2003, 04:07 PM
it is a mess down there i work in construction(waterproofing) and 1 of my scheduled jobs was on el monte road just east of lake jennings rd it was closed due to fire and downed power lines.1st job was very close to fires in el cajon area.I just did a job in descanso last week and it was a pretty nice house isolated in a dry tree area.Homeowner was happy his project was nearly finished.Hope he made it thru this or at least makes it thru.

MagicMtnDan
10-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Where on the Web can I go to find out fire & road conditions in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park area?
We still hope to go there this weekend and we'd drive the 210 East to the 15 South to 79 East to the park.
I called the park and they said the park is OK but there are fires nearby (it's a big park and a lot of it won't burn - sand/dirt/rock). I know there are fires burning out that way but can't find any decent info on the situation. Where did that picture/graphic in the first post come from?
Can anyone post a URL or other suggestion to find out the status? Thanks for your help...

cal-air
10-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Here's another map
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/images/031028fierypaths.gif

ROZ
10-28-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
Where on the Web can I go to find out fire & road conditions in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park area?
We still hope to go there this weekend and we'd drive the 210 East to the 15 South to 79 East to the park.
I called the park and they said the park is OK but there are fires nearby (it's a big park and a lot of it won't burn - sand/dirt/rock). I know there are fires burning out that way but can't find any decent info on the situation. Where did that picture/graphic in the first post come from?
Can anyone post a URL or other suggestion to find out the status? Thanks for your help...
http://www.kfmb.com/topstory19391.html

Hotcrusader76
10-28-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm over here at the shop near the drive in movie theatre and it's a near black-out again. The air is so bad we can barely breathe...
I wish this shit would subside
~Ty:mad:

ROZ
10-28-2003, 04:18 PM
Hows are the hills right behind the drive-in...My buddy lives right behind where the old chicken ranch use to be(homes now) against the base of the hill...

MagicMtnDan
10-28-2003, 04:19 PM
A friend turned me on to these sites - check them out:
Western US map (http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/archive/cgb2003300_0700.jpg)
City of San Diego emergency info (http://www.sannet.gov/newsflash/firealert.shtml)

Infomaniac
10-28-2003, 04:23 PM
I lived in Poway while stationed at NAS Miramar. 23 years ago.

summerlove
10-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Heard there was a small fire in Encinitas (where I live). Any confirmation???

ROZ
10-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
Heard there was a small fire in Encinitas (where I live). Any confirmation???
I heard it was sparked by a car's dragging muffler at the 5 and Encinitas BLVD..I heard it's already out though.....Hope I heard right..

summerlove
10-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
I heard it was sparked by a car's dragging muffler at the 5 and Encinitas BLVD..I heard it's already out though.....Hope I heard right..
Whew, Thanks! My kids are already freaked out by all of this! They remember the Harmony Grove fire well (we could see the flames from our home and were in voluntary evac stage). They are happy about being out of school though!

phebus
10-28-2003, 04:38 PM
The strike team I was on (SL1111 was also on it) was relieved from the Cedar Fire last night at aprox. midnight, after a week of hopping from different fires. The fire had really laid down throughout the day yesterday, and things were really looking good. With the weather change we are experiencing, the fire conditions should be beneficial for firefighters to get the upper hand.
The fire in Big Bear/ Arrowhead, now that is another story......

CMABadseed
10-28-2003, 05:51 PM
hey cal-air,
where'd you get that map deal. is there a new one yet and whree can i get find that.
quite jumbled i know but quite worried about the family back home
thanks
mike

Mandelon
10-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
Head out to Palm Springs and go south on 111 then 86, stay out of the mountains.

hd&boatrider
10-28-2003, 07:37 PM
My sister works for SBC down in SD and I just talked to her. Her old home on Lake Jennings in El Cajon is gone. They are working their ass off but things are very bad. She was trying to reestablish some service out in the Julian area but it looks like it is a lost cause. She really sounds stressed and needs some rest. I have a brother that is driving a bulldozer and trying to make some firebreaks and can't get in touch with him. He is strictly a volunteer. I hope they get a handle on it over the next day or so. :) The good news is that 2 of my sisters houses and my brothers house are out of danger.

ROZ
10-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by CMABadseed
hey cal-air,
where'd you get that map deal. is there a new one yet and whree can i get find that.
quite jumbled i know but quite worried about the family back home
thanks
mike
CMABadseed, I have a few friends who live in the Lakeside area near Jennings. If you pm me with a more defined area, I will ask them what has burned...One of my good friends lives right near the circle K off 67....I spoke to him today and was told that the fire split one way toward Santee and the other way toward Jennings...I think he said it split at Eucaliptus??? Pm me if you continue to not be able to get ahold of your camily, and I'll try to find out what I can about the area around there that has burned....
Chris

Hotcrusader76
10-29-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
Hows are the hills right behind the drive-in...My buddy lives right behind where the old chicken ranch use to be(homes now) against the base of the hill...
My shop neighbor and I drove up the 67 and couldn't get pass Lakeside. The 67 was closed down. That hill looked ok, but the night before you would've though different.
Nonetheless today looks alot better, but not so much so for Julian and the surrounding areas.
~Ty

75_Elim
10-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Has anyone heard from Nashville Bound ( Jeff and Stacy ) ?????
Looking at those maps it appears he's too close for comfort. I really hope they're okay.

Sea Esta
10-29-2003, 10:06 AM
I feel for you guys out there... ...Nothing worse than waiting and seeing and you can't do anything about it. Hope you get some much needed rain soon.