PDA

View Full Version : boat buyer

kgeeeee
10-29-2003, 08:42 AM
Just checking to see if anyone of you that is selling your boat out on the classifieds page has been contacted by person that is representing someone from United Arab Emirates. I don't know if this is a phony or not. He wants to buy my boat.
My thought process is that if he is contacting anyone else on Hot Boat Classifieds he is trying to rip off the individual.
Let me know.
cagey@direcway.com
Later
Thanks

Mr.Havasu
10-29-2003, 08:45 AM
I've had an ad in there for a few months with no contact from him.
Does he want you to ship your boat to him?

kgeeeee
10-29-2003, 08:51 AM
warlock 25
He said he would be responsible for the shipping.

BIGTYME
10-29-2003, 08:55 AM
Its a SCAM, other people have had the same problem on these boards. I don't know of very many lakes in arab nations

Laveyman
10-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Iwill give you a 99.9999% guarantee is is part of the scam that has been going around the internet for a few years. I had two similar replies to a classic car I had advertised online. Here's the scam:
The person is ALWAYS buying the car, boat, jewelry... for someone they are representing.
They will give you full price, or very near it.
They will send you a cashier's check for the full amount, plus $2,000-5,000 for shipping the item overseas to them.
You will be instructed to deposit the check and IMMEDIATELY wire the shipping money to another party(The alleged shipping agent). They will also insist on your being 100% confidential with what you are doing when you amke the money transfer due to their "clients" status.
You deposit the check and wire the money. The check is a counterfeit, they get the money you have wired them, and they don't give a crap about your boat, car,...
I went through two transctions exactly as you describe. One was from somewhere in Africa, the other was from Great Britian. Both sent me counterfeit checks, but I was aware of their scam before this all started. I went directly to the bank's branch manager with them before I tried to deposit them. They didn't get a penny from me. Unfortunately, according to the bank managers, they get a few customers a month who have fallen for this scam and are out the $2,000-5,000 with absolutely no recourse!
Even if you don't fall for it, you will also be put on their email list and get emails every day from some jackass in Ethioipia, Botswana, Nigeria...needing cash or having to dispose of a huge sum of money to you.
Anyway...IT'S A SCAM, FRAUD, HOAK...DO NOT FALL FOR IT!!! If you have any other questions, send me a PM.