PDA

View Full Version : Lost 3 brave firefighters out near Julian today.

Mandelon
10-29-2003, 02:19 PM
KFMB Radio is reporting the fight to save the town of Julian is not an easy one. 1 Firefighters was reportedly killed and 2 severly burned when they were trapped by fire today, at 78 and Orchard. :( Other injuries have been reported as well.
This fire sucks. Over 1100 homes lost and nearly 20 killed. :mad: over 300,000 acres burned, the largest fire in state history.
The town of Cuyamaca was destroyed last night.
(Updated as per radio reports)

Waldo
10-29-2003, 02:33 PM
I just heard about it on the channel 7 news....Total Bummer. I just keep adding to the prayer list. Will it ever freakin' stop???

Her454
10-29-2003, 02:33 PM
THIS IS SO TRAGIC........those guys they caught should be hung
for starting this fire. :burningm:

rvrtoy
10-29-2003, 02:34 PM
My prayers are with the families of those firefighters who lost their lives trying to save our homes and businesses. I'm also praying for those families who have lost everything. This fire is devastating our communities.
Thank you again to our firefighting heroes who are still out there fighting a loosing battle.
God speed...and come home safe!

Mandelon
10-29-2003, 03:02 PM
Evacuations may start again in Ramona.....wind is shifting and gusting out there. :(

ROZ
10-29-2003, 03:28 PM
yup, just got a call from the boss.....san diego country estates is being evacuated again!

Petrofied
10-29-2003, 03:59 PM
I just heard it was corrected to 1 death and 2 injuries. Still just as tragic..

summerlove
10-29-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Her454
THIS IS SO TRAGIC........those guys they caught should be hung
for starting this fire. :burningm:
They got the moron that started this fire - he was the hunter that got lost and set off a flare so his friend coulld find him - at 5:30 in the afternoon! What an idiot... :mad: :mad: :mad:
Totally bummed about the firefighters. They do such a great job day in and day out, and now they lose one (and maybe more). How sad and unncessary...
:frown: :burningm: :burningm:

Rocket2003
10-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
They got the moron that started this fire - he was the hunter that got lost and set off a flare so his friend coulld find him - at 5:30 in the afternoon! What an idiot... :mad: :mad: :mad:
Totally bummed about the firefighters. They do such a great job day in and day out, and now they lose one (and maybe more). How sad and unncessary...
:frown: :burningm: :burningm:
????? I thought the story who started the fires where two guys in a van? What gives?:confused:

eliminatedsprinter
10-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Different Fire.

JetBoatRich
10-29-2003, 05:16 PM
I heard the news tonight, these fires are incredible:mad:
They said the weather is suppose to get better, maybe even rain over the weekend. Lets hope it happens.:frown:

Kilrtoy
10-29-2003, 05:26 PM
Thats messed up shit. I feel for those guys, I was watching those guys work for the past 3 days in Chatsworth. They are earning there money and ITS NOT ENOUGH....

Keithb87
10-29-2003, 05:27 PM
They got the moron that started this fire - he was the hunter that got lost and set off a flare so his friend coulld find him - at 5:30 in the afternoon! What an idiot...
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Haven't these guys heard about 2 way radios??

NoCal NoBoat
10-29-2003, 05:37 PM
KGO 810 AM, San Francisco, is reporting that the firefighter who died today is from Novato, CA. Novato is in Marin county, north of San Francisco.
Prayers for him, his family, and all his fellow firefighters

j-rod
10-29-2003, 05:49 PM
I know those fire fighters had radios/ but if the supervisor doesn,t
know when things are gonna go south you will be in a world of sh/t real quick. "In memory of the fallen firefighters"

mtndewdrops
10-29-2003, 08:13 PM
That is a very upsetting news. I heard about one fatality on the radio, but 3?. These people are all heros. We need those Firefighters to "Pass around the Boot" for the families that are affected by this catastrophy.
I feel that our fire preparedness was pretty lax. We need to override the tree huggers and clear some dead wood. Controlled burns should be administered on a timely basis. Sure hindsight is 20/20, but now is the time for some "Lessons Learned".
This is for the hunter:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/550cartoon3-med.jpg

little rowe boat
11-01-2003, 01:46 PM
San Diego Fire Kills Novato Firefighter
Three Firefighters Injured in Attempt to Protect the Town of Julian
LISA LEFF
Associated Press Writer
NOVATO, Calif. (AP) -- The firefighter killed when a fast-moving wildfire overtook his four-man crew as they tried to save a home was remembered at his home firehouse Thursday as a hard worker dedicated to the job.
``He wasn't sent there. He asked to go,'' Deputy Novato Fire Chief Dan Northern said, fighting back tears as he stood beside a makeshift shrine of flowers, photos and the gear Steve Rucker had left behind.
Rucker, 38, was the first firefighter killed battling the blazes that have ravaged Southern California since the Santa Ana winds began blowing through the parched hills last week. Twenty people have died in wildfires still raging in San Diego, San Bernardino and Ventura counties.
Rucker and his crew from the Novato Fire Protection District, north of San Francisco, were in San Diego County on Wednesday fighting a wildfire that has burned more than 230,000 acres and nearly 1,100 homes.
They were trying to save a mountain home near Wynola when the fire flared up. The crew was overrun so quickly they didn't have time to reach their engine, said Fred Batchelor, a state fire marshal. He said they tried to take refuge in the house they were trying to protect.
``It's calm one moment, and the next moment you have an explosive situation,'' Batchelor said. ``In this case, it flared up and rolled in there and engulfed them.''
One of the three surviving crew members, Capt. Doug McDonald, was in critical condition Thursday with burns over 18 percent of his body. The other two, Shawn Kreps and Barrett Smith, were treated for minor burns.
At the site just off Highway 78 and Orchard Lane, yellow police tape cordoned off the area where Rucker died.
Hundreds of miles to the north in Novato, Rucker's fellow firefighters remembered the 11-year veteran firefighter and father of two as they stood around the memorial in the firehouse lobby.
``We're all struggling, trying to make sense of the situation,'' Northern said. He said Rucker was always happy, involved in his community and loved his job.
Fire Chief Jeff Meston prepared to fly to the San Diego area with members of the firefighters' families Thursday. He said Rucker was ``really one of those firefighters that we all love.''
``He's the kind of guy that organizes for the families -- the Easter Bunny coming, Santa Claus coming for the kids,'' Meston said. ``He was just a great man.''
At a morning briefing in the San Diego area, many firefighters wore black bands on their badges in memory of Rucker as they prepared to go out and battle the blaze that had killed him.
``We know our job is dangerous,'' said Jim Venneau, a 31-year-old firefighter stationed in nearby Julian. ``We know the chances we take when we do these kinds of things. It bothers you. You want to know exactly what happened because you don't want it to happen to you.'

clownpuncher
11-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the update LRB. Sad news to say the least. My guys were about a mile from them at the time they got ran over. I heard it was nuts. Considering the magnitude of all the fires it's amazing more guys weren't hurt. Thoughts and prayers to the victims, families and Novato Fire