PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever see anything this strange?

XLGPP
10-30-2003, 08:51 AM
jonny jones is inquireing about a listing you placed in the ***boat.com classifieds title Cougar 27MTR (oct 01 Hot Boat cover boat).
Comments:
Dear Sir, We have a client who is very interested in purchasing this boat you have for sale and he is agreement with the price you have quoted on the internet and our client would be responsible for the shipping cost to DUBAI,UAE and his preferred method of payment is either by cashiers check or bank wire-transfer, please advice on which method you prefer and if the boat item is still available, thanks. Jonny Jones 971504692468
Phone:() -
E-mail:jonnyjones004@yahoo.com
At 1st I thought it was one of you joksters playing with me for asking way too much for my boat... but I called the number at it is for real.. I wonder what it will cost to send a 27' Cat to Arabia? I guess we'll see if it goes thru.

Ntwotrance
10-30-2003, 08:54 AM
This same scam was discussed a few weeks ago....don't do it...it is a scam.

MANIC MECHANIC
10-30-2003, 08:55 AM
There was a thread simular to this just a couple days ago. It's a scam! Tim

Ntwotrance
10-30-2003, 09:05 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33713&highlight=scam

Keithb87
10-30-2003, 09:12 AM
I would make real sure that the money is clear and transfered into your account before I 'd ship anything. Maybe even set up a different account just for the wire transfer. Then transfer the money into your own account.
If they can put the money in, they can most likely take it out.
I'd be careful

Keithb87
10-30-2003, 09:14 AM
I forgot,
With a name like Johnny Jones from Sauadi Arabia ......
Watch it

Picklefork
10-30-2003, 09:16 AM
ARABIA? I wonder were this guy intends to use the boat, and why would an oil barron want a used boat?

bear down
10-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Picklefork
ARABIA? I wonder were this guy intends to use the boat, and why would an oil barron want a used boat?
I would agree, when I puchased my boat from Eliminator last year they had a guy from an Arab country purchase about 6 220 eagles and had them all shipped at one time to the country for him and his family. Some people have the buck$$$ must be nice.

eliminatedsprinter
10-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Be very careful, I've heard they say they want to wire money to your account in order to get account info.

Tremor Therapy
10-30-2003, 09:34 AM
Its a scam. They used the same format to let you know they were refugee's that had millions of dollars, and to keep it from getting confiscated, they wanted to transfer it to your account, and they would let you have a mil or so. Big time scam, they get your account number and drain you accounts.
DON'T DO IT!

XLGPP
10-30-2003, 09:40 AM
thanks for the responses... I am wary. I did check out the # and it is a real # in that country... looks like a resort city. I called the guy and he was very hard to understand (imagine that), but it is strange that he has a name like Johnny Jones.

Infomaniac
10-30-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Very valid point Ntwotrance, but all those usually deal with fake/counterfeit cashiers checks..
This guys willing to wire transfer. How can it be a scam if he transfers the funds to you?
RD
Once he has the account he will transfer money out !!
I bet he would be much happier with a sand rail.

hd&boatrider
10-30-2003, 09:50 AM
Don't be a sucka'. If you do you deserve what will happen. You WILL be taken.

Ntwotrance
10-30-2003, 09:58 AM
All I know about this particular scam is that it's called the "spanish prisioner" con...not sure the details of how it works, but maybe Boatcop can explain it.

MagicMtnDan
10-30-2003, 10:01 AM
Dude, I can't believe you'd even call that number! Wait til you get your phone bill...don't be surprised if that call cost you $100+! (Another scam people run on the Web)

Laveyman
10-30-2003, 10:31 AM
I will give you a 99.9999% guarantee is is part of the scam that has been going around the internet for a few years. I had two similar replies to a classic car I had advertised online. Here's the scam:
The person is ALWAYS buying the car, boat, jewelry... for someone they are representing.
They will give you full price, or very near it.
They will send you a cashier's check for the full amount, plus $2,000-5,000 for shipping the item overseas to them.
You will be instructed to deposit the check and IMMEDIATELY wire the shipping money to another party(The alleged shipping agent). They will also insist on your being 100% confidential with what you are doing when you amke the money transfer due to their "clients" status.
You deposit the check and wire the money. The check is a counterfeit, they get the money you have wired them, and they don't give a crap about your boat, car,...
I went through two transctions exactly as you describe. One was from somewhere in Africa, the other was from Great Britian. Both sent me counterfeit checks, but I was aware of their scam before this all started. I went directly to the bank's branch manager with them before I tried to deposit them. They didn't get a penny from me. Unfortunately, according to the bank managers, they get a few customers a month who have fallen for this scam and are out the $2,000-5,000 with absolutely no recourse!
Even if you don't fall for it, you will also be put on their email list and get emails every day from some jackass in Ethioipia, Botswana, Nigeria...needing cash or having to dispose of a huge sum of money to you.
Anyway...IT'S A SCAM, FRAUD, HOAK...DO NOT FALL FOR IT!!! If you have any other questions, send me a PM.

prosthogod
10-30-2003, 10:31 AM
It's a total scam!!! I get at least one of these a week. You should actually go to the CIA or FBI web site and report it. Christmas only comes once a year and it ain't now!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: