PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

Mr.Havasu
11-02-2003, 10:19 AM
We all remember how well this turned out last time.
Todays Lake Havasu Headlines:mad:
MTV back in Havasu
Reality show
‘One Bad Trip’ airs tonight; network ponders return for Spring Break
By Brian Wedemeyer
MTV has expressed interest in returning to Lake Havasu City for Spring Break next year after receiving a less-than-warm reception from local citizens in 1995.
Dan Cunning, president of the Lake Havasu City Visitors and Convention Bureau, said MTV officials have inquired about making a site visit for a potential Spring Break production next year.
“They are desirous about coming here next year,” Cunning said. “We want to be very well informed about what it is they plan to do. There will be some concerned citizens, and we want to make sure we protect those interests.”
Meanwhile, Cunning said he was unaware that a new episode of MTV’s “One Bad Trip” was taped on Lake Havasu over Labor Day weekend. The episode, which first airs at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, will feature two party girls enjoying some “wet and wild fun” aboard a houseboat. The girls apparently are unaware that their fathers are spying on them.
“They’ll see their daughters tear it up and throw it down Lake Havasu style,” according to MTV’s web site. “But in the end, will these girls-gone-wild get a little too wild? Only their dads can decide.”
A preview of the episode shows two girls in bikinis dancing and kissing on top of a houseboat in Copper Canyon - a popular party spot on busy summer weekends.
“That is definitely not the image we as a bureau want to promote,” Cunning said Friday. “We believe in family values and promoting the positive aspects of the lake.”
Dallas Finch, owner of Synergy Productions in Lake Havasu City, said he rented a promotional boat to MTV for the episode. He said the company later agreed to help MTV stage a bikini contest on the boat, but stressed that nudity or any other illegal behavior would not be allowed.
“We do not condone using the boats for public nudity or that type of thing,” Finch said. “We’re out there to play music and have fun.”
Finch pointed out that another film company taping that same weekend was banned from renting boats in the future.
“They crossed the line after several warnings,” Finch said.
Although he supports the VCB’s desire to promote Lake Havasu City as a family destination, Finch said he is “pro-MTV.”
“For the tourism industry, I think we need all the exposure we can get,” Finch said. “And MTV is obviously great exposure for Lake Havasu.”
MTVÂ’s arrival in 1995 was a major source of local controversy in the months following.
Supporters claimed the weeklong Spring Break production provided a significant boost to the local economy - both directly and through worldwide television exposure. Opponents argued that MTV attracted gangs, drugs and other negative influences.
After a lengthy public debate, the City Council voted 6-1 to invite MTV back for the following year. The decision was contingent upon MTV paying for the cityÂ’s security costs, including 50 off-duty police officers from other agencies.
Less than two months before its expected return, MTV announced it was moving the show to Panama City Beach, Fla. An MTV official cited the companyÂ’s inability to negotiate for the use of Spectator Point as the production site.
Councilman Bob Crabtree expressed concern about a possible return to Lake Havasu City by MTV.
“If it’s anything like it was last time, I’m absolutely opposed,” Crabtree said. “There’s the rowdy and there’s the super rowdy, and that’s not the image we want to promote for Lake Havasu.
“We’ve been busting our tail trying to promote this place as a family-type resort, not this wild, out-of-control party stuff.”
You may contact the reporter at bwedemeyer@havasunews.com

HighRoller
11-02-2003, 01:23 PM
I'm glad that Havasu has finally realized what we all know.MTV is bad for the reputation of any town it visits because they want to make ratings by encouraging bad behavior.They came once and Havasu has been living with the consequences ever since.I hope Havasu tells MTV they are not welcome to come back...EVER!

Mandelon
11-02-2003, 03:52 PM
It is fun to watch on TV, but it sure has brung out a lot of "Yahoos" I would rather do without.
I hope they turn them down too. Keep em out of Parker too! :mad:

HighRoller
11-02-2003, 05:01 PM
Oh man,don't even joke about MTV being in Parker!That place would never survive!On the other hand,how hard would it be to*accidentally*bump into the cameraman and knock him off the bar into the river?I'd love to see people band together and give MTV some of their own medicine.Pay some really nasty,sleazy hookers to follow them around and jump in front of the camera at every chance.Then maybe add in some biker types to pour beer all over them and rough them up.You wanted a mosh pit,right? I bet they wouldn't like that too much.

Dusty Times
11-02-2003, 05:14 PM
I like the idea of knocking the camera in the water too. Let them go to Florida. We don't need anymore of our local spots ruined and then later closed because the gang bangers showed up.:mad: :mad:

thebull
11-02-2003, 06:12 PM
I cannot believe how closed minded you guys and gals are. So because you go to the river and bought houses/rentals in town, now nobody else can enjoy it. That is so foolish because my friends, one day we are gonna get old and pass away, and who will be in our place to take over the next generation. You are all starting to sound like a bunch of old people, that need to look at the long range picture. Now if MTV comes to town, they will bring more attention to Havasu, positive mind you(remember they are a business and need to make sure their advertising does not go away). Also there will be a thing called "Damn I a college kid, I will probably make good money and I would like to buy a house here one day, or boat. Now what that does is put more money into Lake Havasu city coffer and also improve the marketing the city hopes to promote. I agree I do not like the gangbangers, but you assume that, they are the only ones that are gonna come. Ahh contrare monfrae, most will be eduacated college students looking to unwind, and most of you don't go to Havasu until May 28th. I think this is nothing but positive for the city. If the City Council voted 6-1 in favor of them coming back there must be something right about this. I think we all need to grow up and be more open minded. I probably will get flamed but really I don't care because I know that this web board isn't real life.

RiverRatMike
11-02-2003, 06:37 PM
I'm not a college kid, never have and never will be and I still bought a house here! LOL

HighRoller
11-02-2003, 06:42 PM
It has nothing to do with closed minded people,it has to do with a network that promotes,condones and encourages bad behavior for the sake of filming it.While your"give it a chance"attitude is envious,track record shows that MTV brings in the wrong type of crowd.The city council will vote for anything if they see dollar signs,but it's the residents who have to deal with the trash that comes to town.Anybody who frequented Havasu in the pre-MTV days(as I used to)would agree with me that the changes have NOT been for the better.I'm not an exclusionist in any way.I think tourism is a good thing for places like Havasu and where I live(Laughlin)as long as people are respectful.And I'm all for people discovering boating and the water,but not in the context that the river is a floating strip club and sex show where they can get screwed up and act like complete A-holes.Call me a dinosaur,but that's really not the crowd I wanna share the river with.

DogHouse
11-02-2003, 07:02 PM
MTV = ghetto. Didn't use to be that way in the early days, too bad. Don't need ghetto at the river. My close-minded 2 cents...
:D

jbtrailerjim
11-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Havasu does not need anymore t.v. exposure. Plenty of people know about Havasu already. MTV just need's to stay away and I hope the city keeps them away. Call me closed minded if you want but I don't give a shit. Havasu is already crowded enough. I don't want anymore of the dirtbag and disrespectful people that MTV attracts comeing to Havasu. Just my .02 cents.

fourspeednup
11-02-2003, 07:33 PM
For those of you that don't know, I am a college student at ASU.
I am also a boater who enjoys a glassy river for speed runs more than drunk girls doing a strip show at the sandbar. Call me a foofer if you want but that's my preference.
Too many people have already tried to impress me after finding out that i was a boater by talking about how crazy and "off the hook" havasu is and how they rented jet skis and went out there over spring break. I just shake my head.
I'll tune in tonight to see my favorite spot on TV, but it'll probably just piss me off seeing all the stupid kids that make me look bad in the eyes of my fellow hot boaters.:rolleyes:

DogHouse
11-02-2003, 07:39 PM
The river (including Havasu) has always been a place to party, let loose, and have fun. Some people take that a little farther than others, but hey it's all good...
Some peeps just need to learn to keep the violence and bad attitudes at home and we'll all get along just fine! ;)

TCHB
11-02-2003, 07:45 PM
MTV in Blythe for 2004

TCHB
11-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Ok MTV at Desert Center and maybe they can clean up the restrooms with the money.

Dusty Times
11-02-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm not even going to flame you over this one.
I was born and raised in this area and on these waters. And I am on the lake year round. As are many others on this board.
I have no problem with the college students, the nudity, or anything else that may go with it.
The things I do have a problem with are the other crowds and the gang bangers that don't even enjoy the lake itself. And the violence they bring with them.
Did you ever go to Havasu before the closers these crowds have caused?
NO I AM NOT OLD OR DO I THINK I AM SOUNDING OLD!
But I would like to have a lake to hangout on when I am!:confused:

fourspeednup
11-02-2003, 08:05 PM
I wish I could have been part of the river crew back in the day. I've only been to copper canyon and the real sandbar on non holiday weekends. I was born a few years too late. Whoever had those pics of copper from the 70's, that looks like fun to me.

Dusty Times
11-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Definitly wasn't G Rated back then but didn't have the violence problem. Just the fun!

fourspeednup
11-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Best of all worlds:D

thebull
11-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Well I am starting to like what I'm hearing but you know we will always have the self rightous who think they own everything and think they have the answer to everthing thing. Like I said earlier, I do not like gangbanger, as much as I don't like thugs, white trash e.t.c.(and I am a black man). So for all of you that think that MTV is bad, I think you need a reality check. I would be more inclined to say that the dumb asses that drive thru the wake zone too fast, or the dumb asses that litter are more of a threat to us then a few dumb people that might wanna start trouble. I guess it really doesn't matter what we think, because as we all know money talks, bullshit walks. I think overall if you add up the pros and cons I don't think it will be too bad of a thing. By the way, I go to havasu from March thru October and I have never really seen any Gangbangers really during Spring Break, but I might be wrong. I think we should take a wait and see approach to this matter.

Dusty Times
11-02-2003, 09:25 PM
Didn't realize I was putting a color to the title gangbanger. I never intended to. It's not only spring break that MTV brings the wrong crowd to. Infact the episode tonight on MTV was not spring break.
As far as the violence you haven't seen in Havasu maybe you should ask a few that have. Stabbings, Shootings on the water, etc. And I do understand what you are saying about the littering and the guy in the no wake zone.
They are all examples of people that do not care about the place they are vacationing or its existence in the future. In no way was I puting you in this group. I just think you have been fortunate enough not to have seen the bad side to this story.

CAHotRodBoy
11-02-2003, 09:44 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/502/542hitit.jpg
This guy was there last time MTV was. But he wasn't a banger.:D

fourspeednup
11-02-2003, 11:07 PM
The show wasn't that bad. Kinda funny but why do girls have to scream every time they do anything? I love the whine of a blower motor but the high pitch of a girl screaming just doesn't work with my ears!:(

Havasu Cig
11-03-2003, 07:10 AM
I watched the show on MTV and was thinking the same thing many of you were.
The problem is that people see coverage from MTV nation wide and think it is the place to be. That is what attracts the dipshits looking for a party, but not caring about anybody else. I think the lake has gone down hill since the first MTV appearance.
We have talked about selling our house out there in the future if it continues to go downhill. I won't get near the water on the holiday weekends anymore.:frown:

manuel
11-03-2003, 07:18 AM
Many towns welcomed the MTV spring break crowd seeing $$$$
but after a few years they discover that the college group as a whole don't HAVE any money, they don't hit the bars and restaurants just fast food, they pile in 10 to a room and leave it trashed, they can't hold their beer, the cost of the extra police and damage and trash they leave behind doesn't come even close to the dollars they spend, Ft. Lauderdale got rid of them Panama City has had enough and is cracking down, Daytona dumped them but welcomes the bikers because they spend LOT'S of money, we used to go to Palm springs for spring break, slept in the car, brought our own pot, would meet girls that had a room with a pool to hang out at and cruise around, never spent $20.
the whole time, (1969-72) I would not want a bunch of ME's(then) coming to my river now, but I felt the same when I lived at the beach, the inland people would come to "our" beach and leave all their trash and broken glass all over the place, my priorities have changed but I have more fun now than I thought I was having then,

Essex502
11-03-2003, 07:27 AM
No thanks! Leave the trash, gangbangers and all the other lowlifes these shows attract in Florida or somewhere other than LHC. Don't want 'em & don't needed 'em.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-03-2003, 07:55 AM
No thanks! I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with people coming to Havasu to party and do what it is that they do at the Sandbar. I, like FourSpeednUp, do not go to Havasu to hang out at the Sandbar, but for those that want to, fine go for it.
My problem with MTV coming is that it gives people WHO HAVE NO CLUE that that what they see on TV is how Havasu is all the time all over the lake! What this does is bring people that show NO RESPECT for the river for what it is! And, like it or not, these shows attract the wrong element, gangbangers and the like. I disagree with Dallas that Havasu needs the exposure. LHC must get plenty of exposure on their own as the hotel receipts for July and August were the biggest months that LHC has ever seen! And that is without MTV and the BS that comes with them! Also, if we were to analyze it I'm quite sure that the money brought in by weekender boaters, and yes those of us with homes over there, is WAY more than the amount that MTV will bring in.
Give me a few seconds to get my flame-suit on.

HOSS
11-03-2003, 07:56 AM
UM, can I help?:D

AzDon
11-03-2003, 08:03 AM
That show sucked! I'm not buyin that it wasn't totally scripted, and I couldn't see what those girls were doing that was supposed to be so much fun. The lesbo shit was just sick, and I fully expected their daddies to bare the girls butts and give them a good spanking, but I guess "reality" t.v. hasn't lowered the bar that far yet! Those dads seemed so un-offended that the bust seemed pointless! Maybe all the grandparents should have been part of the spy party!
The "Bad Trip" show does make a point that few of it's viewers will get: That you shouldn't do things in public that you'd ever consider apologizing to anyone about, because you never know who might be watching or taping your behavior!
Too damn many people come out here and behave badly because they think nobody of significance to their life is watching or will ever find out and, unless they get themselves arrested, they are probably right!

BADBLOWN572
11-03-2003, 08:46 AM
I think that MTV coming to Spring Break in Havasu again is insane. What sucks about MTV is that 90% of the time they bring the wrong element. I am talking for the most part about everyone who simply does not respect other people's property or space. I would venture to say that over 75% of the people who will be coming to Havasu for MTV's spring break will be there simply to get trashed all day long and continue it into the night. Spring Break has nothing to do with boating, just partying. Many of the people in attendance will start shit which will cause problems for other people trying to enjoy their space. Additionally it negatively impact good boaters who are trying to have fun. I have been going to Spring Break in Havasu for the past 4-5 years. I usually go simply because friends want to go and it is the kick off of river season. To be honest, I do not like being there during the day. I do not like having to worry about my boat, our safety, etc. I have had several incidents that confirm that a large part of the population up over Spring break are complete and total dipshits. I do like the night time with parties, but overall it is just another river trip. If MTV is heading up there, there is no way in HELL that I will be anywhere near Havasu. We have enough idiots around there for Spring Break without MTV glorifying a huge out of control party.

Essex502
11-03-2003, 09:00 AM
We'll skip it too! Our house will be there before Spring Break and it will be there AFTER Spring Break. During Spring Break we will be elsewhere. I don't need the punk-ass $hit-for-brains on the lake and in town.

eliminatedsprinter
11-03-2003, 10:09 AM
I'm no prude and I used to kind of like MTV when they mostly showed music vidios. However, now they have shuch cheezey crappy shows I wish they would just go away. :yuk:
MTV likes to use young adults in their shows and pretend they are making them for young adults. But the last report I saw had their main audiance as 12-17 year olds and the average age of MTV's viewers was 15.:rolleyes: Shows as bad as MTV's just can't be good for kids this age. It's not so much the sex etc that bugs me it's just how stupid and cheezey they are in presenting it. :yuk: I think they should change the name of their network to The Shows For F'd Up Young Street Psycho's Network.:sleeping:

FastTimmy
11-03-2003, 10:24 AM
This is B/S. Even though MTV does suck including the disrespecting punks that will fallow the worst offence to me is what the politicians of havasu city define as there family town.
“We’ve been busting our tail trying to promote this place as a family-type resort, not this wild, out-of-control party stuff.”
If they have there way we can only drive bass boats on the lake. I know that most of us who have any BEAN'S in our boats will not even pass the noise laws. Why do these politicians kid themselves and think that havasu is anything other then a adult party place... Period. Every person there who brings there kids also has a beer and a drive to see hot chick or hot boats..rite?
Just my .02

Essex502
11-03-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by FastTimmy
This is B/S. Even though MTV does suck including the disrespecting punks that will fallow the worst offence to me is what the politicians of havasu city define as there family town.
If they have there way we can only drive bass boats on the lake. I know that most of us who have any BEAN'S in our boats will not even pass the noise laws. Why do these politicians kid themselves and think that havasu is anything other then a adult party place... Period. Every person there who brings there kids also has a beer and a drive to see hot chick or hot boats..rite?
Just my .02
Sounds like you're the perfect demographic for MTV. :rolleyes:

Havasu_Dreamin
11-03-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by FastTimmy
Every person there who brings there kids also has a beer and a drive to see hot chick or hot boats..rite?
Just my .02
No, they don't. I think you're missing the point of what everyone here has said. Not one of the negative responses has said that they think that what goes on in Havasu, specifically Copper and the Sandbar ,and WE ALL KNOW what I'm talking about, should be outlawed or enforced with a stronger law enforcement presence. On the contrary, many, including myself, say GO FOR IT! I/We know how and where to go to avoid it if we choose to.
What people are saying is that, again me included, is that it's the element that MTV brings with it. Like it or not, it brings out people that show no respect for other peoples stuff and the person in general. You think any of these MTV ganbanger types are RA? I think NOT!

FastTimmy
11-03-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm not quit sure what to say...
So let me try this. I am deeply opposed to MTV coming to havasu. For all the resones above mainly just the shitty people factor.
And yes I will say it again havasu is a adult party place. It is like going to one of those casino's in vagas that are all about the kids. Why do they have them you ask. So that ADULTS can take there kids to a casino and still gamble and have some fun. If it were just for the kids it would not need to be a casino. Hence you have Havasu... Havasu will always be about having fun with family and friends alike. That does not mean you can come here and rent a boat and shoot a porno... But it is still never the less a place to party. The only difference is what you r perspective is on partying. To me it is drinking some beers with friends wile watching the kids play at the sandbar. To some it might be going to BINGO night and to the wrong crowd it might be shooting a porno.
I'm just tired of having some old crusty havasu politician push BINGO as the only form of partying.
just my .02
Timmy

Kilrtoy
11-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Lat time i went to P.S. Spring break was in 90 . The last year of G-strings. Havent been back since. Yes gang bangers do go to the river and they are in all sizes and shapes and colors. They all suck........
That does not mean you can come here and rent a boat and shoot a porno
Does that mean we can't hang out anymore Tim...
Oh wait we didnt rent the boat, never mind:eek:

MagicMtnDan
11-03-2003, 03:37 PM
Maybe I'm missing something that's been already mentioned in this thread but...
Why would any boating enthusiast who appreciates having "their" lakes/rivers in the best possible condition for boating want MTV to be at their lake/river for Spring Break?
Exactly what value/benefit does it provide to anyone other than bars and possibly hotels?

summerlove
11-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
No, they don't. I think you're missing the point of what everyone here has said. Not one of the negative responses has said that they think that what goes on in Havasu, specifically Copper and the Sandbar ,and WE ALL KNOW what I'm talking about, should be outlawed or enforced with a stronger law enforcement presence. On the contrary, many, including myself, say GO FOR IT! I/We know how and where to go to avoid it if we choose to.
What people are saying is that, again me included, is that it's the element that MTV brings with it. Like it or not, it brings out people that show no respect for other peoples stuff and the person in general. You think any of these MTV ganbanger types are RA? I think NOT!
Scott, I agree with you 100%! Both posts! When I started coming to Havasu while the bridge was under construction, it was all families. The party scene started a few years later at Copper Canyon, then moved upriver to the Sand Bar, about 10 years ago becasue of LE. I have no problem at all with that! Have at it - there's a time and place for everything, and that's definitely the place ;)
Now, it's a damn shame that some of the "party" doesn't stay upriver, because I no longer feel comfoprtable hanging in the channel on summer saturday's with my kids (12 yr old twin daughters) due to the activities going on in there. I don't consider myself old, nor a prude - I'm 44 and have been going to Havasu my entire life. I just don't like some of the activities going on. I want to keep going, and my kids love going also! So, to MTV, I say, Stay Away!:mad:

Dusty Times
11-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Time to loosen the plug in their rental boat.
I wonder if gangbangers can swim?

Essex502
11-04-2003, 07:19 AM
I think they sink. ;)
If'n they don't give 'em a li'l lead to help them sink. The only problem is that they will rot and pollute the lake and river.

beached 1
11-04-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by TCHB
MTV in Blythe for 2004
Cool! We might actually be able to field a full team for our annual dirt clod fights.
:D

BADBLOWN572
11-04-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
I think they sink. ;)
If'n they don't give 'em a li'l lead to help them sink. The only problem is that they will rot and pollute the lake and river.
You know that they will sink. Those baggy jeans and shoes get heavy when they get wet. I have yet to see a gang banger at Havasu without at minimum a wife beater and shorts. Usually they have on wife beater, pants, and white adidas. Get them wet...Straight to the bottom. As for polution, with all of the grease that they put in their hair, we are screwed.

FastTimmy
11-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Does that mean we can't hang out anymore Tim... Oh wait we didnt rent the boat, never mind
Well I think people should have to own the boat to shoot a porno on it. NO out of townies just rentingÂ…
Man I am a MTV punk:D

roln 20s
11-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Alright, I guess I will give my opinion-
My first trip ever to Havasu was in 95 during MTV- I was in 8th grade. I have to credit Havasu with my first G-String sighting and my addiction to the sound of a big block ***boat. However, I was with my family and my parents have yet to go back.
I, on the other hand, love it but not for those reasons. I love the options you have on the lake- the channel, the sandbar, copper canyon, steamboat, camping, hotels, etc.. I love that place, and yes to second what others have said- what happens when you pass away. At 22 yrs old, I suppose many could consider myself and others the future of that town, but I feel I WILL NOT make or break it.
I went to Havasu for spring break in 2001 and have to say how disappointed I was-- It sucked. I haven't been back during spring break since and not really sure if I will. From college experiences, I can definately express how much money revolves around spring break, but you do attract the (some) wrong people. But lets look at it this way- you own a vacation house there, so stay at your primary home, you own a business there, for 3 weeks you make a TON of money. If you continue to drive business away, you will lose it for good. Daytona Beach will NEVER be like it was in earlier days because the locals pushed all away. I would hate to see Havasu like that because all businesses need year around support, and this is a great way to support the town.
But still, I'm not sure I will be participating in the activities, just because I don't want to deal with all the idiots. And those quotes with the locals saying "this is not what we want to portray, etc..." Do these people ever use the lake? There is always nudity, plenty of T&A, super loud boats, loud music and just a constant party.
Roln 20s

mbrown2
11-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Screw MTV...who cares if they show or not...I can care less, but Havasu is still a blast on Spring Break (just watch out for the rental boats)...weather is great and there is plenty of people and parties....I sure don't think Havasu should be pushing away Spring Breakers...they should deal with it, and learn to control it, not push it away...
Memorial, 4th or July, and Labor Day bring far more idiots to town then Spring Break...the lake is more packed and unwanted element is much more visible then on Spring Break...

Mr.Havasu
11-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Must of us don't want to push away spring breakers, that's not what this tread was about. We don't want MTV or the thugs that will come because of MTV.

Starloans
11-04-2003, 07:28 PM
I don't like crazies, lice, inexperienced rental boaters, drugies, gangbangers, TV companies that bring the wrong element or problem makers. There can also be TOO many people on certian weekends.
But I do have a fond preference for female nudity :D
IF someone needs to rent a boat for the weekend for some filming of women that may or may not include nudity and the local boat rental co wont step up to the plate, PLEASE EMAIL ME!!!!!!!
I promise to go to a seclude area with no kids and not offend anyone and they can do whatever the hell they want to.
FREE!!!! I'll buy the gas and they can use my 28 Extreme rather than a ****ing rental boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As long as I'm driving of course. :D
Thanks