I quit COLD TURKEY ..
20 years. 1-2 packs a day.
Just thought I'd share that

DansBlown73Nordic
11-03-2003, 02:47 PM
Good for you. Keep up the good work!!!

mbrown2
11-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Good luck...after a month it will get easier...before then it is a little tough..

Jbb
11-03-2003, 02:57 PM
Here is some motivation for you to quit RD......
Take a gander at these beauties.....
Look Here (http://www.presmark.com/htmlfile/pictures.htm)

Cheap Thrills
11-03-2003, 03:03 PM
I quit every time I put one out .:D
C.T.:wink:

Keithb87
11-03-2003, 03:04 PM
I was having trouble getting in the boat after Skiing. and was so out of breath just attempting to get up.
Then I went camping and was out of breath in less than 1/2 mile hike up a moderate hill. I just decided it was time.
Every time I get a craving I just eat a Jolly Rancher candy.
I've gone through about 20 bags of candies, but they shouldn't pack on too many pounds.
I guess the main thing was just being ready to finaily quit.
My Fiance still smokes, and that made it hard at first, but now it dosen't bother me.
My Best advice is to;
be ready to quit,
have a lot of Jolly Rancher candies,
and expect your friends and co-workers to hate you for at least a week
:D

JetBoatRich
11-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Stick with it, you may be around longer now.
Never a smoker, so I don't know what you are going through.

jackpunx
11-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Don’t quit now.. Everyone hates a quiter..:D J/K.. good luck.. I have been smoking for a long time.. tried to quit once... it lasted for 5 1/2 months.. I thought of smoking every day.. I thought I would just have a cigar .... and it all started again.. I have been able to keep it down to one pack= 3 days.. .. its not a lot.. and sometimes I wonder why I even smoke at all.. Any way.. good luck.. :D

Keith E. Sayre
11-03-2003, 03:15 PM
I watched my dad quit after about 25 years. It was hell. If you
can do it---then do it. If you can't--keep trying to quit. One day-
you will.
Hats off to you for the effort!!
Keith Sayre

topgun
11-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Both drinking and smoking are a craving by the body that has been leached by nutrients and can be supplemented by vitamins.
I quit tobacco by drinking alka-seltzer (sodium bicarbonate) when I had a craving. You can have up to 4 glasses in an 8 hour period.
As weird as it sounds, it works. I was a non-believer until I tried it. Been tobacco now for 2 months. Idon't want to quit drinking, but I'll provide the name of the book that tells how to do it with vitamins.

NorCal Gameshow
11-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I wonder if there's a way to check out ones own lungs (without actually cutting them out) to see how far in the progression a smoker is.. ???
RD
how about a boroscope??
http://www.uxr.com/images/ff4cap.gif

clownpuncher
11-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Right on 87. Keep it up.
I wonder if there's a way to check out ones own lungs (without actually cutting them out) to see how far in the progression a smoker is.. ???
RD
Yes there is RD. Get a hi-resolution ct scan of your chest. It'll show you what's up with your bags. It takes just a few minutes, and you can veiw the scan right away with a radiologist. I have a good radiologist friend that owns an Imaging place here in the desert. I can ask him for prices if you're interested.
Quiting is tough

Stupid Fast
11-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Good For you. I have tried And tried. Good luck and I hope it sticks. The longest I have gone is six months. I still kick myself for restarting.
EMC

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-03-2003, 04:35 PM
i praise you for your quitting. i wish i had the will power to do so myself.
Topgun i would love the name of the book you mentioned. my kids bug me everyday about smoking. so i would like to do it not just for myself but for my 2 little ones. ;)

bigq
11-03-2003, 04:40 PM
I agree you need to want to quit, get scared or something. I chewed for about 15 years, woke up one day and threw it out and thats it. It was by no means easy and had help from the fake snuff. I also don't think that the niccotine is the major problem. I think it is the physical acts that are much harder to break not the chemical dependency.
Good Luck, it should be all downhill from now on.;)

missboatnam1
11-03-2003, 04:58 PM
when your done your done!!!!! just do it !!!
hang in there, you will be able to taste you food now!!! :D

NorCal Gameshow
11-03-2003, 05:00 PM
Do you think health insurance would cover that?
RD
there's something we can bitch about....
ins. co.'s aren't big on paying for preventive care...then again,
they're not big on paying for any care....

clownpuncher
11-03-2003, 05:15 PM
Do you think health insurance would cover that?
RD
You know, I don't know. Depends on your coverage. I'd call your insurance co. If they don't, you might be able to convince your personal Doc to refer you to a radiologist for "x" health problem, then insurance will cover at least a portion. That's not working the system, that's just making it work :D
I know a full body scan, head to toe, costs in the neighborhood of 700-1000.

Beautiful Noise
11-03-2003, 05:27 PM
Keithb87,Great job Man every day will get easier for you and you'll feel so much better in the long run,I quit over 24 year's ago :D :) :) :D
Steve

Jordy
11-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Any tips??
Don't drink. Everyone I know who trys and quits smoking is fine until they drink and then all the will power disappears. :D

Rick Byers
11-03-2003, 08:40 PM
:) :D Good for you on Quiting. As of today I have been 7 years and 17 days with out a smoke after smoking 4 packs aday. for 30 years. the first 6 months were living hell but then it got easier to be around me. Rick

rrrr
11-03-2003, 08:52 PM
Stay the course. I am going on three years, and I still eat two rolls of sugar free Breath Savers every day. I have to have something in my mouth.
I have seen some of my relatives die from emphysema, it isn't pretty.

hislittleho
11-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Keithb87
I quit smoking 2 weeks ago.
It was Monday
October 13, 2003
I quit COLD TURKEY ..
20 years. 1-2 packs a day.
Just thought I'd share that
I quit too! It is so hard but worth it. Good luck Keith:)

hislittleho
11-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
Here is some motivation for you to quit RD......
Take a gander at these beauties.....
Look Here (http://www.presmark.com/htmlfile/pictures.htm)
That should help :yuk: thanks :)

RiverRatMike
11-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Congrats on quiting!! I'm probably never going to quit. Been smoking 17 years, a pack and a half a day. Don't have enough will power here!

hislittleho
11-03-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by RiverRatMike
Congrats on quiting!! I'm probably never going to quit. Been smoking 17 years, a pack and a half a day. Don't have enough will power here!
You just think you don't have will power..everyone has will power..Try Smoke away ..it is working for me.:)

hislittleho
11-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by NorCal Gameshow
there's something we can bitch about....
ins. co.'s aren't big on paying for preventive care...then again,
they're not big on paying for any care....
Smoking has nothing to do with preventive care. To prevent
lung cancer and other smoking related diseases... don't smoke.
Only the person can prevent this. Health ins. steps in once the
disease is already there.:(

Keithb87
11-04-2003, 07:06 AM

Lady Rat Attack 1
11-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Good for you. My mom was a smoker since she was 14yrs old. In her 40's the Doc told her her lungs were so bad to quit now or die. It was her wake up call. She stopped cold turkey and now she is 66 yrs old . You should see the medication she has to take every day for the rest of her life. But guess what.....She has a life. Keep up the good work. We will be here for encouragement.:)