PDA

View Full Version : You all wont believe this!!!!!

XLGPP
11-04-2003, 01:54 PM
remember last week when I asked about the scam where a guy from Arabia had a client that wanted to buy my boat?
well I got the bullshit cashiers check...and get this.....
THE FUNDS WERE GOOD!! the check was from wachovia/wells fargo bank. So I went to Wells Fargo to verify funds... they said there was 37mil in the account and they gave me a cashiers check right there on the spot.
this is strange, but I have the $. and they dont even have the goods, a title, any arrangement for shipping or delivery.

Her454
11-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Ya know that new money looks just like Monopoly money...dont spend it all in one place.......:eek:

Keithb87
11-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Good Luck. ;)
I still think it's a SCAM though.

hd&boatrider
11-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by XLGPP
remember last week when I asked about the scam where a guy from Arabia had a client that wanted to buy my boat?
well I got the bullshit cashiers check...and get this.....
THE FUNDS WERE GOOD!! the check was from wachovia/wells fargo bank. So I went to Wells Fargo to verify funds... they said there was 37mil in the account and they gave me a cashiers check right there on the spot.
this is strange, but I have the $. and they dont even have the goods, a title, any arrangement for shipping or delivery.
Somehow, someway you are going to get taken. Please don't come crying when they clear you out. You were warned by everybody on this board. If somehow you get to keep the money and nothing happens but good fortune then good for you.
Good luck

MsDrmr
11-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Interesting,,,,
Maybe I can help find out info about the co. who are they or what is thier phone # lets see if I can find out if this is legit.

Tom Foolery
11-04-2003, 02:03 PM
I say cash out! Go buy a new, better boat & screw what happens with the old one. Spend Spend Spend!!!! Boats, Houses, Reinvest elsewhere & get it out of the bank That way if it is a scam you have the money elsewhere & wells fargo can't collect.

XLGPP
11-04-2003, 02:05 PM
I hear what your sayin HD. I am still being very cautious. they dont have any of my acct info... I just went into WF and had them (wells fargo) make me a new cashiers check.

hd&boatrider
11-04-2003, 02:14 PM
I hear what your sayin HD. I am still being very cautious. they dont have any of my acct info... I just went into WF and had them (wells fargo) make me a new cashiers check.
I hope it works out :) How much did they send you and what boat are they buying from you? I forgot the details....

bear down
11-04-2003, 02:14 PM
I guess the next step that I would do is this:
If a cashiers check was sent I would cash the C. Check at the bank where it came from and not deposit it. Before signing over the cashiers check I would make sure nothing is written on the back on the check stating by you cashing this check you are obligated to something. I would then take the cash and sit on it. I would not deposit that check into any acct. of mine or release any info.

HOSS
11-04-2003, 02:15 PM
You are right. They do not have any of your info. In fact its completely the other way around. A friend of mine use to sell BSA motorcycles to overseas customers. If they don`t get in touch then hold the check. Don`t cash it until contacted.
When you cash the check you are entering a legally binded contract.

Her454
11-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Sorry RD, your a bit too trusting for me...
I wouldnt send that boat anywhere until I talked to an Attorney, period.

jackpunx
11-04-2003, 02:46 PM
It sounds to good to be true.. But .... I think you could do a little investigation.. (With the bank).. if your good .. do it.. There are people out there with so much money that will do a deal like this.. Unfortunately.. There are a lot of scammers.. What info do they need from you to cash a cashiers check?..

ROZ
11-04-2003, 02:57 PM
If you have the cash in your hand, send it.... Like HOSS said, you've entered a binding contract once taking the funds....Hope your bid for shipping it to the moon, or wherever, was accurate....

manuel
11-04-2003, 03:06 PM
The persian gulf has been into offshore and F1 boats for years,
Dubai and the UAE have hosted the UIM world championships before,
http://www.victoryteam.org.ae/News_2001/Dubai2001a.htm
some of the boats they run use 4! V-12 Lamborghini engines,
more along the lines of the European offshore style, I have read of owners giving the boats to the driver as a gift after a win !
Note: The Arabs hate being called towel heads, and since they are actually closer to sheets I guess it's ok to call them SheetHeads ?

C-2
11-04-2003, 03:11 PM
XLGPP
If you would like, I can run this by a think tank of private investigators I belong too. There are over 2,000 private investigators in the group, spread throughout the world and most are ex law enforcement. These folks know their stuff, and if it’s a scam, then they’ll know about it, and most importantly, exactly how it works.
Laveyman is LE, and if he sez it's a scam...I would check into it further.
Let me know,

NorCal Gameshow
11-04-2003, 03:16 PM
what's up with the bank telling you how much is in the account???they should just tell you if there is enough funds to cover.....

XLGPP
11-04-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by C-2
XLGPP
If you would like, I can run this by a think tank of private investigators I belong too. There are over 2,000 private investigators in the group, spread throughout the world and most are ex law enforcement. These folks know their stuff, and if it’s a scam, then they’ll know about it, and most importantly, exactly how it works.
Laveyman is LE, and if he sez it's a scam...I would check into it further.
Let me know,
I would appreciate that C-2... lemme know
I havent even got info where to send it to yet.. just an e-mail that said the sent the wrong amount but I could send the difference back after check clears, and they would pay for shipping. just to e-mail them when the check clears then they would arrange for pickup of the boat and give me info where to send the ovarage back.

NorCal Gameshow
11-04-2003, 03:42 PM
I havent even got info where to send it to yet.. just an e-mail that said the sent the wrong amount but I could send the difference back after check clears, and they would pay for shipping. just to e-mail them when the check clears then they would arrange for pickup of the boat and give me info where to send the ovarage back.
now it's getting good...an overage ???get some legal help, asap

topless
11-04-2003, 03:42 PM
http://www.silverlakebank.com/NEWSLETTER/page3.html
Sounds like the same scam to me.

Mr.Havasu
11-04-2003, 03:51 PM
The plot just thickened right there! How unfortunite they accidently sent too much. Any check ( including a chashiers check can be recalled(Stop payment etc) after you have sent them the overage back they will some how reverse the original check. Watch it.
And not to offend you or your boat, but why would a person or firm with that kind of $$$$ be buying a used boat they have never inspected when they can buy the best of the best.
Be carefull IT'S A SCAM!

BiggusJimbus
11-04-2003, 03:55 PM
You do what you want.
But clearly, this is not straight up.
Unless it's over like 5 bucks, they are scamming you. Your bank won't know it's a bad check for a couple weeks, at least. Then they will come to collect it from you.
Sit on it until your bank tells you the funds have been COLLECTED. Stolen Check, Fake check, Forged check, whatever. Not good check.
Until people quit falling for this, it will continue. Sit on it until the cops show up at your door, or until everything is clear.
Better yet, call the cops yourself. You now hold evidence of Fraud. Use it.

al cole'holic
11-04-2003, 03:56 PM
..you got to be kidding me, you actually falling for this? Do yourself a favor and put the boat back in the Trader or Recycler or whatever the ****..anyone interested in buying it should come to your doorstep, and that should be the extent of your delivery! :D
I once sold my dumped Chevy to some dude from Japan who came out and bought about a dozen others at the same time, they showed up with a briefcase of green...done deal, but this does not look like the situation for you XL....

Boatcop
11-04-2003, 03:57 PM
Scam-scam-scam-scam
What will happen, is you send them the difference. A week or so from now, once the "Cashiers Check" works its way through the system, the bank will find out it's non-payable, and come after you for the entire amount.
What you're stuck with is owing the money the bank gave you, and also sending them back the $5,000 or so "Overage", and no boat to boot.
Put the cash in an interest account and let it sit. DO NOT send any money to the "buyer" do not ship the boat to the "buyer", and do not spend the money.
The banks will be after yo ass for the money they are out.
This is a scam that's been going around all the various "enthusiast" sites. Boats, Cars, RVs, you name it. Any big ticket item. It's happened to people I know who were selling VWs.
DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU!
I'll find some web info for you to check out.
Found it: Overseas Shipping Scam (http://www.thesambaforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253)

al cole'holic
11-04-2003, 03:59 PM
...wait a second, this futher mucker is playin us!! :D haha XL...

XLGPP
11-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Ya'll quit bashing me! I KNOW ITS A SCAM...
thanks Boatcop.... that is exactly what I intend to do... let the $ earn interest for me until I have to give it back... no way in hell am i sending any overage back... I was just curious how the funds were verified in the 1st place and who the hell they are stealing the $ from initially that the bank can verify the funds.

EricU
11-04-2003, 04:33 PM
They tried the same thing on me last year when I was selling my Schiada, Then I decided to keep it and sell my Vette and I got the same bullshit again!
****ing Scum!!!
Eric.

NorCal Gameshow
11-04-2003, 04:38 PM
who's bashing you ?

Skullinator
11-04-2003, 05:45 PM
A cashiers check is drawn on a banks account, not on a personal account. How can you verify that the account has $37 million dollars in it, if it is a cashiers check. Even if the guy that sent you the cashiers check got the check from his bank and drew it from his account that has $37 million in it, it would be impossible for the bank that you are cashing the check at to verify, because the the guy that sent it to you does not have his information on the cashiers check. The only verification of funds would be that of the issuing banks account that the cashiers check was originally drawn from. Does this mean that the $37 million is how much that banks has in its account? WHATS THE DEAL???

H20Advantage
11-04-2003, 06:24 PM
Contact the Wells Fargo Security Department and let them know about the corrospondence you received along with the check. Since they potentionally could also become victims down the line they may want to look into it further.
You could also contact your local PD's Economic crimes investigator to see if they have any additional info for you or they may know of other victims in your area.

XLGPP
11-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Skullinator
A cashiers check is drawn on a banks account, not on a personal account. How can you verify that the account has $37 million dollars in it, if it is a cashiers check. Even if the guy that sent you the cashiers check got the check from his bank and drew it from his account that has $37 million in it, it would be impossible for the bank that you are cashing the check at to verify, because the the guy that sent it to you does not have his information on the cashiers check. The only verification of funds would be that of the issuing banks account that the cashiers check was originally drawn from. Does this mean that the $37 million is how much that banks has in its account? WHATS THE DEAL???
OK Skull, let me explain and I will answer this question and your other one from the other thread...
1) they (whoever the scammer is) said they would send cashiers check by mail... the check that was sent was not a cashiers check though, it was a business check and was redeamable at either wachovia bank or wells fargo.... with that being the case, I went to wells fargo (one of the 2 banks the account of the check was written on) and verified the funds for this business check. when they looked it up, the teller said "the check should be good, there is 37mil in the account" (yes I know he should not have devulged that info, but he did). next thing I did was have wells fargo cash the check and write me a cashiers check, in which I deposit into a money market account in seperate bank from wells fargo.
2)yes with wire trans info, they can NOT deduct money from your account... It has been told to me that what they do is use those acct #'s and routing #'s to make fake checks... they can also monitor the account and see when there is money in the account. As soon as they see there is enough funds to cover the check that they write to someone else (like me) they send it. Knowing that you will try to cash it right away while the funds should still be there. they send too much, so that you will send the difference back, before the bank comes asking for it all back.
to sum it up, they got your friends account info, made fake check, wait til the account has $150,000+ in it, then send me a fake check (which will clear) then hope I send them the overage back before wells fargo catches it when your friend says "I dint write a $150,000 check)

C-2
11-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by H20Advantage
Contact the Wells Fargo Security Department and let them know about the corrospondence you received along with the check. Since they potentionally could also become victims down the line they may want to look into it further.
You could also contact your local PD's Economic crimes investigator to see if they have any additional info for you or they may know of other victims in your area.
That's the initial input I'm getting as well, contact Wells Fargo Security. Not contact them in a few days, but ASAP. If anything, it might prevent some other unfortunate person from getting scammed.
I'm trying to get some specifics on how this dealio works.

Skullinator
11-04-2003, 07:32 PM
XLGPP Thanks for your info and your help in this manner,those were not my questions but the person you talked to on the phone.

Skullinator
11-04-2003, 07:35 PM
For every body that is worrried about doing bussiness this way wire transfers have different routing and account numbers if you request them. A routing number for a wire transfer is a one way highway (money can only come in) not go out.

C-2
11-04-2003, 07:51 PM
Too funny, there is this whole network of people who scam the Nigerian scammers for fun, kinda like a hobby! :D :D
I guess the scammers, or "lads" as they are known, even threaten to contact the authorities if you don't send them your money!
Apparently Nigerian scam rings are 1/5 of Nigeria's total industry. How sad is that. :(

H20Advantage
11-04-2003, 08:25 PM
Another interesting fact about the nigerians and their scams are that they are backed by Al Queda. They work in cells in the United States and are the number 1 group involved in check cashing scams here. Much of the money goes back to fund terrorist cells throughout the world.:yuk:

C-2
11-04-2003, 08:42 PM
Uh oh, here is what I am being told (and I’m putting it up publicly in case any other members/lurkers encounter this problem);
1. Contact Wells Fargo Security department immediately, let them know what has transpired.
2. Return the money to Wells Fargo ASAP.
3. Work with Wells Fargo Security and the bank, try to get them NOT to report the deposit to the IRS. This must be done ASAP
4. Close the money market account you deposited the money into. If you have other accounts with the same bank, irrespective of their location, close them.
5. Even if you opened the money market account with the cashiers check you had Wells Fargo write, you should strongly consider closing your bank accounts and opening new accounts with other banks.
Unfortunately there are always inside contacts at every bank. None of the bank security departments will admit there is a problem, but it is a reality. While banks have put measures into place that detect when tellers and customer service reps access peoples accounts without a customer’s inquiry – in this case an insider could access your account information and gather all your personal information that you submitted to the bank. Then six months from now, they clean out your accounts.
Apparently this scam is three-fold;
1. Some people actually fall for the scam and send the merchandise and the “refund.”
2. The scammers get the victims bank account info, or at least their identifying info they can use to open accounts in their name.
3. Victims are often scared into sending the scammers money since they often receive death threats as a result of the scam being exposed. In return, some victims actually pay the scammers to leave them alone.
Good luck on it. That sucks :(

Laveyman
11-05-2003, 06:17 AM
As Boatcop, C-2 and everyone else said...Even though you got cash...It is a SCAM
The only difference between what you experienced and what several of us have experienced is you received cash. Well, temporarily at least. It WILL turn up to be a fraudulent check and you WILL be out the money!
Follow C-2's advise to the letter. He has told yo to do exactly what Bank of Americas's fraud department did with my two cases. Most importantly...DO NOT SEND THOSE FOCKERS YOUR BOAT!!!

gqchris
11-10-2003, 10:13 AM
I got the same email last ngiht, to give everyone a heads up. I thought it was too good to be true without ever hearing about it and did my own investigation. Here is the email I got:
"My name is Joshua Adam, i am Located in UK, I'm interested in
buying your 1983 Addictor 190 Suzuki for one of my client and I have a
shipping agent that use to ship the Items that I bought from US so don't
bother yourself about the shipping and the titles, my shipping agent will
take good care of that. I want it to be delivered to my client as soon
as possible so I'll call my client in U.S to send a certified cheque to
you soon. I want to know why you want to sell it, also i want you to
send your bottom price and brief me a little
concerning the condition.
Waiting for your immediate response..
Regards
Adam"
His email is jeun_soke@outblaze.net
Stupid ass me sent my pictures back because I had just got back from the river, was tired and was not using my brain capacity to its fullest!
Here is the response I got and the red flag to quit talking to this moron...
Dear Chris,
Thanks for the mail, I'm glad that we could come to an understanding
on this tranction. I'm ok with the price and the reason of
selling/condition of the 1983 Addictor 190 Suzuki So i will instruct my client who
owed me some money to make a cashier's cheque out of $7,000 to you So
you will deduct your payment for the 1983 Addictor 190 Suzuki and send
the excess funds to my reliable and reliable shipping agent company here
in UK via Western Union to ensure them to come for the pick up at your
Location. My client needs following information to make you receive the
cheque easily by courier services.
1. Full Name on Cheque,
2. Mailling Address,
3. Contact home phone # including wireless phone#.
Hope to read from soon.
Cheers
Adam
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Needless to say, I told this goofball that I reported him to the FBI and I know he is a scam, anyways, good luck everyone and keep your eyes open to this crap..
Chris
:)

Rocket2003
11-19-2003, 04:23 PM
The same thing just happened to a guy on www.srceamandfly.com
:( How can they do this?
Plus the E-mail account had a virus on it!

bigq
11-19-2003, 04:39 PM
www.screamandfly.com (http://www.screamandfly.com)

Kilrtoy
11-19-2003, 04:51 PM
Wow,
Becareful you might findout where Jimmy Hoffa resides.....

NorCal Gameshow
11-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Wow,
Becareful you might findout where Jimmy Hoffa resides.....
i'm pretty sure he's buried in the grassy knoll...

Hotcrusader76
11-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Well here is my experience from earlier this year. I made an "engine builder" program sale to a client in the UK. He wanted 8 carburetors shipped out ASAP. No problem. Made the transaction via a Mastercard, all the security items checked out ok. Business as usual.
See I already deal with three engine builders in Germany who purchase from me monthly and have earned a very strong repore with me. I've been using them for over a year now without any issues. Matter of fact they plan to fly out to California for some vintage mustang events and to visist the shop.
Well as the story continues, Mr. UK man turned out to be a fake. Exactly 30 days after the sales and shipment of Qty.8 carburetors, my Wells Fargo rep contacts me to let me know they are holding $5k out of my account because the transaction numbers were fake and came up stolen, even though all of the security measures were met during the transaction.
Now I'm out $5k and 8 carburetors. The carbs shipped and the money was given back to the rightfull owner or creditor. Normally I accept Mastercard from my three current builders in Germany, but since then have been informed they need to pay via wire transfer to alleviate this problem from happening again.
My lesson learned was a hard one. The FBI and SS got involved with this case and it is still under investigation. Nonetheless make sure it's a wire transfer done through your bank.
Moral of the story.... "If it's an overseas transaction; sex, money, or material objects there's going to be something fishy going on"

phebus
11-19-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
Moral of the story.... "If it's an overseas transaction; sex, money, or material objects there's going to be something fishy going on"
Souds a lot like marraige! :D