PDA

View Full Version : WHERE IS WATER COMING FROM

iceman
12-01-2001, 01:21 PM
THESE FORUM'S rock This is the first place I alway's come to when I'm on this machine,
Wishing I was on my water machine(chap.villian 2) 350 chevy with alpha,Ok I
have two ? water is getting in my boat while
It's running,I climbed back whith A light and
it's coming in where the drive shaft comes
trough the transom,how do I fix!? two I installed A new carb. and it doesn't have
A place for the plastic hose that went from
the fuel pump to the carb.

greg shoemaker
01-15-2002, 05:30 AM
Iceman, If you have water coming in where the driveshaft comes thru the transom then you've got problems . Either the bellows is bad, gasket between the gimble and drive is bad , shift cable bellows is bad,or the shift shaft seal is really bad. In all cases the drive has to come off and inspect fo damage due to water contamination. Ujoints, shift shaft seal, gimble bearing, or a bad bellows. Good luck Greg

Stupid Fast
01-16-2002, 12:35 PM
I think greg hit the nail on the head. Buddy had same problem. It was the shift cable bellows. He replaced the seals and drive bellows at he same time to to save labor. To check bellows- with boat out of water- tilt drives all the way up and poke and tug. good luck

RumRunner
01-19-2002, 04:09 PM
I'll agree with the bellows. As far as your carb deal, you can run the hose to any vacuum port (on the carb, or intake) or just put a fitting into your flame arrestor and run a hose to that.

Tinkerboater
01-19-2002, 06:10 PM
Don't hook it to a vacuum port. Drill a hole in the bottom of your flame aresster where it won't interfere with anything and screw in a barbed hose fitting.

spectras only
01-20-2002, 12:04 PM
All coastguard approved flame arrestors should have the plastic hose tube fitting in the top corner of the arrestors,with the tube reaching the center [next to the rod,that holds the arrestor].The reason for this is to direct the gas into the center of the carb in case of diaghragm failure.The reason to have a marine carb also is,because they're equipped with "J" tubes in case of flooding ! Drilling a hole in the bottom of the arrester may allow gas to leak ,in case of a bad gasket between arrestor and carb.

Tinkerboater
01-20-2002, 08:37 PM
When the engine is running it will draw the fuel into the carb. I have had OEM flame arresters with the fitting as I described.

iceman
01-23-2002, 06:26 PM
thanks for everybodys input.I accidently posted twice.I replaced the driveshaft bellow
the gimbal bearing and ordered a new flame arrester with a barb on it.It's warming up
here in florida,hammers down