PDA

View Full Version : can you hear me now ?

Cheap Thrills
11-05-2003, 10:20 AM
When it's too cold to play outside heres how I pass a little time .
any other amateur radio nuts in here besides me ?
C.T.:wink:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127radio_station-med.jpg
Live view Panama Canal.

RiverToysJas
11-05-2003, 10:44 AM
I thought that was Riverdave's desk. :confused:
RTJas :D

Cheap Thrills
11-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Radio and electronics has always been a passion of mine ,It's second only to building cars and boats .
Live view Panama Canal.

Kurtis500
11-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Cheap Thrills. We are looking to pick-up some Motorola style radios for the races. About 5-6 of them. Is there something besides the FRS frequency that can be used with the Motorola radio? Can they have new crystals put in (if thats still the way to do it.) Do we need a licsense for anything other than FRS?

MagicMtnDan
11-05-2003, 11:31 AM
I've got a Yaesu VX-5R handheld that I have no idea how to use (and I don't have a license! :eek: ) but those of us who go boating and offroading with these things can talk a lot farther than the lousy FRS (and we can talk to FRS radios too).
The Yaesu VX-5R is a triple band (6M, 2M & 440 MHz) HT with extensive receive coverage, and leading-edge features. It receives the AM and FM broadcast bands, shortwave (AM) to 16 MHz, VHF and UHF TV audio, VHF Air and public service frequencies. The specific ranges covered are: 0.5-16, 47-729 and 800-999 (less cellular). The die-cast aluminum housing, augmented by an extensive gasketing system sets a new standard for water resistance among amateur HTs. This robust construction has earned it a MIL-STD 810 rating.
The supplied FNB-58LI 7.2 V 1100 mAh Lithium-ion battery provides 5 watts out on 6M and 2M and 4.5 watts on 440 MHz. Features include: 16 digit 9 memory DTMF autodialer, CTCSS/DCS, 220 memories, aluminum die-cast case and 8 character alphanumeric display.
At only 2.3 x 3.4 x 1.1 inches (58x87x28 mm) it will go with you everywhere. Hikers and mountain climbers may connect the optional SU-1 Barometric Sensor for direct air pressure readings. The VX5R comes with SMA Antenna, FNB-58LI Lithium Ion Battery, NC-72B Battery Charger, Belt Clip and Wrist Strap.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/1795.jpg

Cheap Thrills
11-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Kurtis500
Cheap Thrills. We are looking to pick-up some Motorola style radios for the races. About 5-6 of them. Is there something besides the FRS frequency that can be used with the Motorola radio? Can they have new crystals put in (if thats still the way to do it.) Do we need a licsense for anything other than FRS?
Yes most newer Motorolla radios are "Dealer"programable to the frequency desired , the FRS frequencies are shared freqs. with GMRS (General Mobil Radio Service ) Business band .
Just low power.
Yes you need a licenses to transmit on freqs. outside of the allocated "Public Use" freqs FRS. 470.00 mhz. and 11 meter 27.00 mhz Citizens Band . 46.00 ~49.00 mhz low power (old cordless phones baby monitors ect. ) and several others.
Transmitting on a freq other than the non licensed freqs. without a licenses is a felony and carries a hefty penalty if one was to get caught. (10 yrs and or $10,000.00 max.) depending on the mode of operation.
a business licenses is fairly inexpensive and opens you up to more frequencies, more power .and no worries.
C.T.
:wink:

Cheap Thrills
11-05-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
I've got a Yaesu VX-5R handheld that I have no idea how to use (and I don't have a license! :eek: ) but those of us who go boating and offroading with these things can talk a lot farther than the lousy FRS (and we can talk to FRS radios too).
The Yaesu VX-5R is a triple band (6M, 2M & 440 MHz) HT with extensive receive coverage, and leading-edge features. It receives the AM and FM broadcast bands, shortwave (AM) to 16 MHz, VHF and UHF TV audio, VHF Air and public service frequencies. The specific ranges covered are: 0.5-16, 47-729 and 800-999 (less cellular). The die-cast aluminum housing, augmented by an extensive gasketing system sets a new standard for water resistance among amateur HTs. This robust construction has earned it a MIL-STD 810 rating.
The supplied FNB-58LI 7.2 V 1100 mAh Lithium-ion battery provides 5 watts out on 6M and 2M and 4.5 watts on 440 MHz. Features include: 16 digit 9 memory DTMF autodialer, CTCSS/DCS, 220 memories, aluminum die-cast case and 8 character alphanumeric display.
At only 2.3 x 3.4 x 1.1 inches (58x87x28 mm) it will go with you everywhere. Hikers and mountain climbers may connect the optional SU-1 Barometric Sensor for direct air pressure readings. The VX5R comes with SMA Antenna, FNB-58LI Lithium Ion Battery, NC-72B Battery Charger, Belt Clip and Wrist Strap.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/1795.jpg
Thats a nice rig.
they have the new VX7R out now it's 4 bands
and passes Mil.810 standards for ruggedness . it's even submersable for like 30 min. in 3' of water .
be careful with your transmit freq. these things are capable of transmitting on Public service freqs. Police fire rescue ect.