PDA

View Full Version : Tip Hustlers

Trailer Park Casanova
11-06-2003, 09:59 PM
I tip.
How much do you tip?
I mean,, percentage, or do ya just leave a few bucks no matter what?
Or nothing?
Do you work a tipping job, so in turn you always tip, and tip generously because you work a tipping job?
Come on,, honest, do you tip and how much?
My beef in this post is tip hustlers.
The best tip hustlers are at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas. The Hard Rock used to be part of the Hard Rock Cafes, but now they are split and have seperate owners.
The Hard Rock Hotel has this line of BS they feed you at the check in counter; " AAHH Mr. Casanova,, I've upgraded you to a very special room,,, no extra charge".
Nahhh, when I hit the room, its' the same 20 X 30 forty bucker they always give me.
First time this happened though,, the deskclerk stung me and I tipped him a $10 figuring I'm getting special treatment.
That's OK, I got the room free anyway because I used the ol: "It was better when the old man ran the place" comment on the guest comment cards,, and it always gets me a room comp'd for a few days for the next trip.
I stung them.. they bit back.
In the ladies restroom at the Hard Rock (notice I didn't pluralize it to restrooms because their's only 1 restroom and remember that when you use the pool for 2 obvious reasons).
They have an attendant that likes to follow girls outta the restroom,, and she has a bit of ass gaskett material in her hand, stops the customer, and the attendant acts like she removes the piece of ass gaskett material from the customer that would have been so embarassing if not caught,,, The attendant pulls that stunt all night long and the exiting girls tip her for that courtesy from their trust fund money.
Another tip hustle is the Las Vegas Flamingo. If ya have a boat in tow, make sure to PM me before ya go,, I have boat parking down at the Flamingo. And for free.
Boat parking is excellent at the Las Vegas Flamingo,, secure and safe,, abso****inlutely outstanding. The vallet parkers don't want you to know that fact,, and they pimp each other off to you when ya pull up to register and park, telling ya a story that one of them has backing and parking a boat down,, and they usually don't accept boats, but $80 will take care of your rig and float.
Screw them,, theirs' a system to park boats there and it's free.
Any tipping stories?
How much do you tip?

91nordic29
11-07-2003, 08:14 AM
at restaurants, 20% and if service is bad, i take it down from there. if service is good, it goes up. bad attitude andor rudeness?? 15%-
i leave the houskeepering 5 bucks per day.
i cant see myself falling for thr "ass - gasket" deal. (i always check before i walk out!!) :D

BIGTYME
11-07-2003, 08:53 AM
At restaurants i usually double the tax and that is my tip. the tax x2 = around 15%. Have been known to not leave any tip for shitty service. The double the tax thing is not always accurate. I will NEVER pay someone 15% at ruth chris because they're food was more expensive. They do the same amount of work as the servers at denny's. 2 bucks for valet usually works. At River Palms I gave the guy 5 bucks when i left and now I always get to skip the line and my truck gets left up front.

mbrown2
11-07-2003, 08:57 AM
Good service approximately 20%, bad service < 15%...
The Hard Rock sounds like their smoking crack:D

MsDrmr
11-07-2003, 08:58 AM
I typically tip double the tax amt on the bill. Just a standard rule....of course that does vary depending on service

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-07-2003, 08:59 AM
if the service is good we tip very geneously. we knew a man that would put $20.00 one dollar bills on the table(depending where we were give or take where we were.) if the waitress would come by he would leave it. If she would get something wrong he would remove a dollar at a time. what ever was left on the table would be the tip. I didn't like that too much. so we started leaving the tip after he left the table. some people don't realize how many people they are waiting on and wether it is bad service or not i feel something should be left wether big tip or small. just leave something. :D just my 2 cents.

NoCal NoBoat
11-07-2003, 10:45 AM
My first seven working years were in a hotel front office.
I do tip at restaurants, usually 20%.
My tip "tips" ?
1) From reading the boards, I know a lot of the members take cruises (the really big ships on the really big water) in addition to the river and lake adventures. So, unless you're sailing with Seabourne or Crystal, you're used to the "envelope" dance at the end of the trip. (Cabin steward, maitre d' waiter, waiter's assistant, wine steward, etc).
I tipped my cabin steward half in advance, when he introduced himself before sailing. Told him there would be another envelope at the end of the sail. Great service the whole week long. All my needs were anticipated.
2) A good attitude and plenty of $ 1's, politely dispensed, will save one from being constantly hassled for $ 20 dances at your local SC...

mirvin
11-07-2003, 11:19 AM
I hope this doesn't piss anyone off, but it's called gratuity...as in "thank you for gong above and beyond" or, thanks for whatever, not "oh, here's your standard %15 for being human".
I tip based on my percieved experience. The waiter is the conduit. If I don't get good service to start then the tip I leave starts going down.
I know it's not the waiter's fault if my steak sucks, but what am I gonna do, go dock the chef,s pay? Thhe whole scorecard goes toward the tip..
In some cases I've actually left no tip! but usually it's 15 to 20%.

Gman
11-07-2003, 11:39 AM
I always tip 20% or more. If the service is bad 15% if it is great they get 25%. My mom use to be a waitress when I was little and my ex-wife when we first got together. These people live on there tips. They make shit for hourly and eat on what ever there tips are for the night. I can't count how many times as a child or even as a new husband I sat on the floor and counted tip money. If it was a good night we could get what ever we wanted at the fast food restaurant if it was a bad night it was Taco Bell. So, needless to say I hardly ever eat fast food now and can't remember the last time I ever went to a Taco Bell. If you tip good you will get good service every time you go back to that restaurant. Trust me waitress/waiter people remember who the good tippers are.:D

mickeyfinn
11-07-2003, 07:56 PM
I tip good when service warrants it. My thinking is when I sit down there is no tip and it goes up from there. If service was excellent I'll leave 20%-25%. If service sucks I will leave a quarter. I never leave absolutely nothing. If service was so bad that I don't leave a tip the quarter is to let them know that I didn't just forget or just a cheap bastard that doesn't tip. The tip is a gratuity and is for services provided. If the service is good the tip will be good. If they turn a 50.00 or 100.00 meal into a bad experience you can count on the quarter being left on the table. One of my pet peeves is a server that lets your drink go dry. If the food takes 30 minutes to get to the table that's cool. Just keep my glass full while I'm waiting.
I've always wondered though when paying with a credit card what would happen if the service was really bad and you leave a negative tip?...LOL

sandblasted
11-07-2003, 08:10 PM
I always plan to leave 15%..If service is average to ok they get 15%...I go up from there..usually leave 20%-25% if service is really outstanding...
The lowest I ever left? 4 cents and the waiter deserved it...
There were 4 of us eating and we all left a penny...believe me the waiter was lucky he got that...One rude ass s.o.b.
I once tipped a cab driver in Vegas about 32 cents...Bastard picked up me and the wife at the Excaliber and we headed to Treasure Island for a wedding...This rude s.o.b. spent the entire ride complaining about people from California even after i said we were from Californina..then he pulled into the slowest lane and stopped for a signal he easily could have made...I sat there in traffic and watched the meter rack up $$...since the ride is based on distance and time...Man, I was fuming...We finally get to Treasure Island and the dude say thats $9. 68...I hand him a ten and say "keep the change for the tip, you really deserve it"!

mickeyfinn
11-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Geez some people are cheap and rude. We went to dinner with another family tonite and the place added the tip to the bill since we had more than a party of 8. The waitress was a lttle slow but she was slammed. Poor girl was doing her best. The wife of the other couple made a scene and caused a 30 minute delay in getting out of there because she insisted that the gratuity be calculated on the amount of the meal after the discount coupon she had. Once she did that she insisted the gratuity be taken off completely because she thought she should decide how much to tip and then stiffed her.....What a bitch!!!

Kilrtoy
11-08-2003, 07:06 PM
I always leave huge tipslike
NEXT TIME DONT SPIT IN MY FOOD
OR
NEXT TIME YOU GRIND MY GEARS I'LL KILL U
OK
REALLY I DO LEAVE GOOD TIPS:eek:

superdave013
11-08-2003, 08:40 PM
I tip pretty good most of the time. 20% + on an ave. I kinda gauge it on how long my Ice Tea is empty. Never empty = over 20%.
But sometimes the service just sucks. I'm not talking about a busy night or a server that just got slammed with 5 tables at once. I'm talking about down right shitty service. In that case I fill in the tip line (always pay with ATM these days) with "service suckes!". I've only done it a few times.

AzDon
11-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Never less than a dollar when I go to Buffets and the server deals the drink refills properly....Never less than 2 dollars if I'm served food (alone) no matter how cheap the prices are. Usually 20% for competent service at a normally-priced place, but if the prices are double what they should be, the help is gonna hafta be happy with 10%