PDA

View Full Version : External Steering

Blown509Liberator
01-30-2003, 06:28 AM
I have some questions about external steering systems. I am going to add one to my convincor the system I am looking at is from world class marine. Has anyone used this system? There was a write up on one being installed in the Dec/Jan hot Boat but nothing was said on how the system worked. I like this system because of the shorter wing span on the cylinders ( the convincor is only 7.5' beam). But how dose that affect performance. Also thought on single over duel cylinders. This boat will never be a 80+ mph boat. 60's yes, 70's maybe but 80's no way. I was looking at a single system. Can you add a ram at a later time with out having to upgrade to total system. Under stand I am not looking a the full hydraulic system just the add on that uses the stock cable and pump.

1stepcloser
01-30-2003, 10:14 AM
I have no experience with the World CLass Marine system, but I did install a similar system from WPM. I used the single cylinder add on system and had to use a short ram also due to space consraints. I lost a small amount of turning radius, but got used to it quickly. Overall it was a very good improvement as far as performance was concerned, it made a big improvement to steering wheel input.
As far as single ram versus dual, like I said, I used a single, mostly due to the fact that I will most likely never see 80, and, in addition, will never make more that 500 HP. I felt the need for twin rams was not there.
With the WPM system, it can be upgraded at any time in the future with no hassle, including the hydraulic helm, if you decide to go that route.
I am very happy with the way my system turned out, and would recommend it.
If you have not made a purchase yet, may I suggest giving Dan a call over at WPM (Warlock Performance Marine). They're in California, but Dan is a great guy, he will do just about anything it takes to make a system work out right.
Heres a link (http://www.wpmracing.com/) to their website.
[ February 03, 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: 1stepcloser ]

Havasu Hangin'
01-30-2003, 10:36 AM
I gotta concur with 1step...Dan at WPM hooked me up. They don't make plates for my old drive, so he fabbed a custom plate, and installed a helm pump with the single ram.
Keep in mind that dual rams take more pump pressure to move...and a single ram is good up to 3,000lbs of pressure (or something like that).

Blown509Liberator
01-30-2003, 10:36 AM
1stepcloser and Dave
Thanks for the input. I like thw WPM system i was looking at it on CP site. Thanks for the link to WPM I tryed looking for them on the web but did not find them. I will give them a call.
one more question how is the low rpm steering? Ok or a little hard?
thanks again
MikeW

Blown509Liberator
01-30-2003, 10:42 AM
HH
I did not see you sneek in there. You have a full Hyd. system?

Havasu Hangin'
01-30-2003, 10:50 AM
Blown509Liberator:
HH
I did not see you sneek in there. You have a full Hyd. system? No, mine's a helm pump...I forget the name- it's the ones that the outbored guys use. I figure that if it can handle the torque of one of those big outboreds, then it can handle my little outdrive.
Dan told me that the dual rams should not be necessary for my application. He said that the dual rams would be a little tougher to turn, and alot tougher to install- they have to line up exactly along the pivot point of the outdrive...otherwise they can bind.
[ January 30, 2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

1stepcloser
01-30-2003, 11:35 AM
Blown509Liberator:
one more question how is the low rpm steering? Ok or a little hard?
thanks again
MikeW Low RPM steering feel was actually improved...prior to the change, it turned rather easily, it didnt really have any "feel".
After was a nice tight "solid" feeling through the wheel, at both low and high speeds.
To answer your question directly, yes it was O.K.
And yes it was a little hard, But I like it. :)