PDA

View Full Version : I'm an idiot...

DogHouse
11-08-2003, 05:12 PM
... but then you all probably knew that already!
Just traded a perfectly good 01 GMC crew 8.1/Allison for a new Dodge quad cab diesel six speed. Got over 20mpg on my first trip across town. That's only twice what I used to get and it ain't even broken in yet!
Now let's see where'd I put Keith's phone number, gonna have to chip it of course. 555 ft-lbs just isn't enough. ;) Or maybe I should put some decent wheels on it first. It looks pretty wimpy at the moment...
:D

Jordy
11-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Trading a Chevy for a Dog, I mean, Dodge, yeah, I see where the idiot thing comes into play... HA HA HA HA :D :D :D :D
Congrats Brian. Welcome to the wonderful world of diesel. I went diesel almost 10 years ago and I'll never go back.

DogHouse
11-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Thinking about getting a license plate that reads "STINKY"!

bigq
11-09-2003, 08:49 AM
There not that stinky anymore are they? Arn't they a lot more quiet now also?

fourspeednup
11-09-2003, 12:39 PM
Chevy was priding itself on it's new QUIET technology! What were they thinking??? I like my diesels loud and puking black smoke!...;)

DogHouse
11-09-2003, 01:34 PM
Yeah the newer ones are definitely better but still make a lot of noise compared to a gasser. Same goes for the smoke/stink. I haven't seen this one puke out any black smoke yet but it does smell the place up, especially when sitting still. Oh well I knew what I was getting into. Mileage is great and I'm looking forward to the easy towing performance in the hills.

HammerDown
11-10-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by DogHouse
Yeah the newer ones are definitely better
Well maybe when one is talking about noise....but my ol 7.3 IDI NEVER had any issues with injector problems etc thats associated with the new computer controled diesels...whats with all this reflash stuff? Leave it up to computers to f-up a Simple running Diesel Engine.

Outnumbered
11-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Congrats Dog House, you will love the truck. We have 9000 miles on our '03 Cummins 4x4 and we ave very happy with it. I'm not sure about the 6 speed as far as convenience goes, but it is a good tranny from what I hear. My wife would not go for a stick. We have the 48RE auto and it seems to be a good package.
As far as reliability, the Cummins is the way to go. From what I have read both GM and Ford are having problems of one type or another. Injectors I think? I have not found much, if any, bad press on the Cummins.
I have always been a Chevy guy until I bought my first Dodge in '01. I can tell you that I was always having problems with the GM stuff so I finally gave up. So far so good with the Dodges.
OL

jackpunx
11-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by DogHouse
... but then you all probably knew that already!
Just traded a perfectly good 01 GMC crew 8.1/Allison for a new Dodge quad cab diesel six speed. Got over 20mpg on my first trip across town. That's only twice what I used to get and it ain't even broken in yet!
Now let's see where'd I put Keith's phone number, gonna have to chip it of course. 555 ft-lbs just isn't enough. ;) Or maybe I should put some decent wheels on it first. It looks pretty wimpy at the moment...
Just out of curiosity.. Did you check out the Ford?.. And why did you go with your Dodge instead of anything else?... for real.. you got 20mph with that truck? is it a 4x4?

Outnumbered
11-10-2003, 03:53 PM
The best I have got with my 4x4 Auto is 19.7mpg on the freeway on the way to Phoenix. It averages 17+ most of the time in the city/freeway and only gets 14-15mpg on the mountain but that is stop and go hill driving never over 50 mph at over 5,000 ft elevation.
The reason I didn't buy a Ford is the quality of the finish etc, the reports of problems with the new power strokes, the trannys suck(from what I have read), and it was too big for the wife to park. The Dodge is about a foot of so shorter than the Ford/Chevy and is easier to park and garage. Oh, and the price was better on the Dodge.
OL

DogHouse
11-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Old Lavey, I remembered reading some of the positive things you were saying about your truck in various posts and that helped score some points for the Dodge. By the way, it's white like yours!
Jackpunx, yeah the Fords are great solid trucks but not quite what I was looking for. I like the size of the Dodge. It fits better in the garage and is much easier to maneuver in a parking lot than either the Ford or GM crews. Of course the back seat is smaller and the bed is 3" shorter, can't have everything I guess. I think the Dodge handles and steers better than the Ford because even though it's a solid axle, it has coil springs, upper and lower locating links on each side, and a lateral track bar to keep everything pointed in the right direction. It feels more nimble to me. Of course the GM with the IFS steers better than either of the solid axle trucks, but then they also cost a fortune to lift. I will be adding a shock upgrade, typical Dodge under-damped stockers need some help. Might throw a 2" leveling kit on there while I'm at it.
Biggest reason I bought the Dodge is because I wanted a Cummins motor, great mileage and years of proven reliability. Still don't trust the Ford 6.0, although I'm sure it will be fine once the bugs are worked out. Far as I'm concerned, they all make plenty of torque and all can be easily upgraded. Second biggest reason was price, got the 4x4 SLT with upgraded seats & stereo, locking diff, light package, and a few other small things for about 32.7k plus tax/license after all the rebates. I'm not sure what a GM/Duramax sells for right now but I'd guess that it's a lot more???
Yup, really, 20 mpg! After more stop/go city driving, it's down to 19.5. Just cruising 60ish on the freeway will give 21-22. Supposedly these things do better after they break in, so we'll see how good it gets. I do know that the odometer shows about 280 miles now and I still have over half a tank left!
Sorry for the book...

jackpunx
11-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the posts .. its all great info.. I have been thinking long and hard about what truck to get.. I have a killer GMC right now.. Im going to cry when its sold.. but I want a diesel.. Im just waiting to sell my truck.. Check my finances and see what other kind of debt I can get in

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Well, OL. I think you have sold me. When I retire the Burb, I will probably look into a Dodge Diesel. Of course that may be another 10 years, but...that mileage kicks ass... I am getting tired of feeding that big block 496...

Outnumbered
11-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Dr E, if Chevy made a Diesel Burb that was under 40k I would have probably bought one. Its not nearly as roomy and comfy as a burb but its a cool truck. The wife really wanted a Burb but the price of the 2500 4x4 LS/LT was up there. Add gas costs and a short warranty period and we took the practical route on the Dodge. 100k Powertrain warranty and big fuel savings. Used Burb was out of the question due to chronic problems with our last two Chevy trucks. Sold both before warranty expired.
OL

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Unfortunately Chevy stopped offering the Diesel in the burb with the debut of the Duramax. I know the truck is not as roomy and plush as the burb, but I got it even though my kids were gone thinking they would go to the lake with me to go boating. They go but bring their own toys and trucks. So it is usually me or my wife and myself in the burb. Of course I do own it...that is why I said I will probably just suck it up and feed it for another 10 years or so. I do have an extended warranty on it up to 100K, so that should help.
I did have a similar experience with my old 1992 Suburban, 1 transmission, 2 rear ends 1 transfer case, 8 alternator/battery combos, brakes sucked...it was an expensive beast to keep...