PDA

View Full Version : used ice makers--who's got 'em?

RiverForUs
03-22-2006, 11:58 PM
looking for something that makes at least 100 lbs. per 24 hours with maybe a 50 lb. bin. All the units I can find on-line are new for $1500-$2000. I thought someone on here found a couple (or had a coulpe for sale) last year for around $500-$700.
I went by a restaurant equipment supply place that has auctions once a week that I may check out next week.

Hardly Satisfied
03-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Check home depot website ,I think that they sell 3 different ones starting at799.00 899.00 999.00.

Ivan Dan
03-23-2006, 12:16 AM
looking for something that makes at least 100 lbs. per 24 hours with maybe a 50 lb. bin. All the units I can find on-line are new for $1500-$2000. I thought someone on here found a couple (or had a coulpe for sale) last year for around $500-$700.
I went by a restaurant equipment supply place that has auctions once a week that I may check out next week.
If you find some let me know...I need one too!

BoatPI
03-23-2006, 05:57 AM
Go to e bay. There is a palce in Chatsworth that sells on e bay, they have the good stuff. Expect to pay 600 to 1000. Remember in Havasu the machines produce up to 50% less than the stated generating rate due to high air temp and water temp. I had 4 sold two, and need to get the last one, and ice-o-matic going. It is a 1/2 cube 150 model and will fit under a countertop. i know HD has them, but I would rather have a used commericial one. The weak link is the water pumps, they go out. So try to find a pump for a HD made in China model??

OGShocker
03-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Ebay has this one.... (http://cgi.ebay.com/CORNELIUS-500-CUBER-ICE-MACHINE-MAKER-WORKS-GREAT_W0QQitemZ7600583175QQcategoryZ25378QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

phebus
03-23-2006, 07:26 AM
When you go with an icemaker, you need power water, and a drain, right? I'd like to put one in the garage, and have the powere and water source, but the drain would be the trick part, unless you could just run a line through an exterior wall, and let it drain to the ground. If that works, I could just dig a hole, and fill it with gravel.

OGShocker
03-23-2006, 07:39 AM
When you go with an icemaker, you need power water, and a drain, right? I'd like to put one in the garage, and have the powere and water source, but the drain would be the trick part, unless you could just run a line through an exterior wall, and let it drain to the ground. If that works, I could just dig a hole, and fill it with gravel.
The set up is pretty easy. We ran the drain into the driveway for the road runners.:D

mbrown2
03-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Go to e bay. There is a palce in Chatsworth that sells on e bay, they have the good stuff. Expect to pay 600 to 1000. Remember in Havasu the machines produce up to 50% less than the stated generating rate due to high air temp and water temp. I had 4 sold two, and need to get the last one, and ice-o-matic going. It is a 1/2 cube 150 model and will fit under a countertop. i know HD has them, but I would rather have a used commericial one. The weak link is the water pumps, they go out. So try to find a pump for a HD made in China model??
I bought from the place on ebay (chatsworth)...for $700...
Also, bought from you....
Yours lasted 2 years (I did not pay much so it probably paid for itself).....and the one on ebay lasted a year if that...
Althought I can probably have them repaired it is a dam pain to bring things back and forth from parker.....and I don't know of anyone in Havasu that will repair.....I want something with a warranty next time...
I will definitely buy new....those scratch/dents on Ebay are a crap shoot and not worth the headache unless you are good at fixing your own appliances...which I am not

INSman
03-23-2006, 08:03 AM
Rick
If you elevate the unit a little, you can 'T' into the drain for the softwater unit in the garage.

Havasu1986
03-23-2006, 08:04 AM
When you go with an icemaker, you need power water, and a drain, right? I'd like to put one in the garage, and have the powere and water source, but the drain would be the trick part, unless you could just run a line through an exterior wall, and let it drain to the ground. If that works, I could just dig a hole, and fill it with gravel. Thats what I did with at my house. Also we bought a coffin type freezer from HD. The ice that comes out of the ice maker is still to wet and doesn't last as long. So we make the ice then put it the freezer and thats enough ice to last us about 3-4 trips without having to run the commercial ice machine. Less on the elctric bill.

OGShocker
03-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Thats what I did with at my house. Also we bought a coffin type freezer from HD. The ice that comes out of the ice maker is still to wet and doesn't last as long. So we make the ice then put it the freezer and thats enough ice to last us about 3-4 trips without having to run the commercial ice machine. Less on the elctric bill.
We always have 10 - 15 bags of ice ready to go using this method. :cool:

RiverForUs
03-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Ebay has this one.... (http://cgi.ebay.com/CORNELIUS-500-CUBER-ICE-MACHINE-MAKER-WORKS-GREAT_W0QQitemZ7600583175QQcategoryZ25378QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)
...is exactly the one I saw at the restaurant equipment place I went to yesterday. He said it would auction for $500-$100 and this one sold for $1009.99. Pretty damn close to what I was told.
Quote:
The ice that comes out of the ice maker is still to wet and doesn't last as long.
Is it too wet to use in the ice chests? Or will it work o.k. but just not last as long?
Remember in Havasu the machines produce up to 50% less than the stated generating rate due to high air temp and water temp.
Good thing my house is in BHC :rollside: J/K! So, I need to look for a 200 or 250 model?

Flying Tiger
03-24-2006, 04:37 AM
Buy new and it's essential to put a quality water filter on the fill line.

RiverForUs
03-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Buy new and it's essential to put a quality water filter on the fill line.
How about soft water? Good or bad for the ice maker? I've heard both.

BoatPI
03-25-2006, 06:57 AM
all of these can be repaired, but the most costly part is the compressor. In Havasu there are at least 2 refer guys that will repair ice makers. Self fix parts are relays, and the water pumps. Remmember always allow air flow through the openings in the grills. A good fast producting unit is a 200 pound unit, for one boat ice chest a 150 will do. It takes 24 hpurs to really get them pumping to full production in Havasu. All need drain lines for purging and overflow. Some parts are sold on e bay too, like water pumps the weakest part. like a swamp cooler pump. And if u keep tem outside, wrap them in plastic or whatever so dust does not enter the electronics and ruin the relays.

Havasu1986
03-25-2006, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=BoatPI]all of these can be repaired, but the most costly part is the compressor. In Havasu there are at least 2 refer guys that will repair ice makers.
Are you counting Brady over @ Kool Wave. His guys take care of my AC, Swamp and commercial Ice machine.

RiverForUs
03-25-2006, 08:45 PM
How about the soft water question? Before the loop or after it?
...A good fast producting unit is a 200 pound unit, for one boat ice chest a 150 will do. It takes 24 hpurs to really get them pumping to full production in Havasu.
The new house is 3 bedroom plus den and a sofa bed in the living room. We may have 5 families out there at a time. So that means 5 ice chests. At 2-3 bags each, I'll need up to 15 bags a day. I'm guessing the 8 lb. bag size so that equates to 120 lbs. a day. An earlier post said to expect 50% efficiency in the summer heat so I'm thinking 250 lb. rating at least.
... All need drain lines for purging and overflow.
How much runoff will there be? Does it absolutely have to be plumbed to a drain? Or can it flow into a bucket or pan and be emptied every so often?

RiverForUs
03-28-2006, 11:55 PM
If you find some let me know...I need one too!
I'm sending the wife with a fistfull of cash to see if we can score one. Looking at a Cornelius 500 and a Scottsman 400. The other 2 were Manitowoc's, one a 600 lb. and the other a 1200 lb. Overkill for my needs.

OGShocker
03-29-2006, 06:32 AM
We run soft water into ours. Two years and not one problem.
Buy a deep freezer. We crack it to the coldest setting and throw the ice in. The ice lasts two days and we only lose 40-50% back to water.

BoatPI
03-29-2006, 06:41 AM
I found that a good 200 pound machine will produce 100 pounds from the time that u start it up, in the first 24 hours. After 12 or so hours it really gets cranking. All of them have insulated bins, u do get some melting but it is not much, the ice stays loose as oppose to freezing it afterwards in a deep freezer then it becomes nearly a block. Any machine over 400 or so pounds really needs a 220v power source.

SDLifesaver
03-29-2006, 06:45 AM
I was going to do this last summer but was talked out of it by the salesman at the ice-maker company. He said that unless it is in the house it will not get cool enough to make good, usefull ice. I was also told that if you end up using the ice for drinks, DO NOT use soft water because it will taste like crap from all the salt and I guess it's not good for you to drink. He told me to conect the water line to the RO and go that route. It was going to cost a few grand to do it right and I just figured I would help the local economy instead. Good luck. It's a great idea but our garage is not plumbed for AC and I really don't have a good spot inside for it.

OGShocker
03-29-2006, 06:50 AM
I was going to do this last summer but was talked out of it by the salesman at the ice-maker company. He said that unless it is in the house it will not get cool enough to make good, usefull ice. I was also told that if you end up using the ice for drinks, DO NOT use soft water because it will taste like crap from all the salt and I guess it's not good for you to drink. He told me to conect the water line to the RO and go that route. It was going to cost a few grand to do it right and I just figured I would help the local economy instead. Good luck. It's a great idea but our garage is not plumbed for AC and I really don't have a good spot inside for it.
I run a thick enough mix of the Capt' I can't even taste the Pepsi, let alone the salt..:D

Havasu1986
03-29-2006, 07:37 AM
I was going to do this last summer but was talked out of it by the salesman at the ice-maker company. He said that unless it is in the house it will not get cool enough to make good, usefull ice. I was also told that if you end up using the ice for drinks, DO NOT use soft water because it will taste like crap from all the salt and I guess it's not good for you to drink. He told me to conect the water line to the RO and go that route. It was going to cost a few grand to do it right and I just figured I would help the local economy instead. Good luck. It's a great idea but our garage is not plumbed for AC and I really don't have a good spot inside for it.I've had a commercial ice machine in my non air cond. garage for 3 years now and haven't had a problem with the ice, make it ,freeze it and put it in the coolers and lasts all day. Its nice not getting your coolers ready at home and not stopping to buy ice. I have about $1000 invested. I have put alot of money back into Havasu over the last 20 years in beer and gas alone.

SDLifesaver
03-29-2006, 08:10 AM
I just wrote all that crap to make myself feel better about being a cheap skate and not buying the damn thing that I really wanted.

Havasu1986
03-29-2006, 08:19 AM
I just wrote all that crap to make myself feel better about being a cheap skate and not buying the damn thing that I really wanted.Since I am in the fire sprinkler business and am freinds with alot of O.C. fireman who all are cheap to. Thats why they have so many houses in Havasu. If you need a couple bags of ice and your near the high school I have plenty.

SDLifesaver
03-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Since I am in the fire sprinkler business and am freinds with alot of O.C. fireman who all are cheap to. Thats why they have so many houses in Havasu. If you need a couple bags of ice and your near the high school I have plenty.
Our house is on Riverboat Dr. off Industrial. We are just west of Acoma. I am pretty sure the HS is close and maybe my cheap ass will take you up on that free ice. We sign our boat loan papers today so after that I will know exactly how cheap I have to be.

Havasu1986
03-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Our house is on Riverboat Dr. off Industrial. We are just west of Acoma. I am pretty sure the HS is close and maybe my cheap ass will take you up on that free ice. We sign our boat loan papers today so after that I will know exactly how cheap I have to be.My snow birds leave on 4-27 so the ice machine and beer vending machine will be open for the summer

SDLifesaver
03-29-2006, 10:05 AM
My snow birds leave on 4-27 so the ice machine and beer vending machine will be open for the summer
Ours leave tomorrow and we will be out there on the 6th.

Havasu1986
03-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Our house is on Riverboat Dr. off Industrial. We are just west of Acoma. I am pretty sure the HS is close and maybe my cheap ass will take you up on that free ice. We sign our boat loan papers today so after that I will know exactly how cheap I have to be.Checked your street. Your just a golf cart ride away. Were on Bamboo Dr. off Empress. Or I could throw a couple bags out as we head towards Windsor.

SDLifesaver
03-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Checked your street. Your just a golf cart ride away. Were on Bamboo Dr. off Empress. Or I could throw a couple bags out as we head towards Windsor.
I knew the HS is close but I need to orient myself with the neighborhood a little more. I can go back streets to just about anywhere but there is still SO much of Havasu that I have not seen. PM me when you are going to be out there next and we can meet up and I will sample your ice. Better yet, you bring the ice and I'll have the liquor.

Hardly Satisfied
03-29-2006, 10:51 AM
signing your paper work today for your boat, does that mean you are picking up your new boat??

clownpuncher
03-29-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm in the restaurant biz and have good experience with ice makers. Id buy new if I were you. Although the intitial cost is way more you'll be blessed with good ice at a better rate of production than if you bought a used one.
I had to replace my commercial 500# Hoshizaki a few weeks ago and am keeping the old one for the river. The old Hoshizaki has had pretty much everything replaced over the years and should be in fairly good condition. Although I have a used 500# quality commercial machine, I'm not optimistic at all that I'm gonna get anywhere near 500# from the used machine stored in my swamp coolered garage. Just ain't gonna happen. I'd be lucky to get half that in the summer.
Buying used from a private party might save a few dollars, but, think about where you're gonna use this thing. You'll need a very efficient machine just to do an acceptable job. No matter what you do, put a quality filter system on the machine. Good filter systems are easily over 100 bucks.
Good luck in your search. If I come across another restaurant selling a used but otherwize good ice maker I'll let you know. At least you'll know the history of it.
ROC

SDLifesaver
03-29-2006, 11:05 AM
signing your paper work today for your boat, does that mean you are picking up your new boat??
We sign the loan docs today and they have to overnight the check up to Howard so the boat can be released to us. The boat is being shipped to Havasu on April 6th and that is the day we get it. I guess there are new rules for out of state registration and delivery must be done by the manufacturer. We have to get the recieving papers notarized????? It is better than us driving to Valencia and then to Havasu. I have done that before and it SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RiverForUs
03-29-2006, 11:19 PM
While I was at work the wife went and was the high bidder on a Scottsman 400 lb. unit. They run it the day before the auction for people to preview and it seemed to be working fine and was full of ice. 4 hours after picking it up and leaving it in the back of the truck it was still full. Had to dump it all in the driveway to lift it out of the truck. Kids had fun playing in it like it was snow.
At 50% efficiency 200 lbs. will be more than enough. I might even be close if it runs 25% in the hot garage during the summer. I do have an 18,000 BTU window A/C in the garage to run for the time we are out there. Plumber I spoke to in BHC said I might need to run an R/O system and a booster pump for it. I'm hoping that a good in-line filter or 2 will be all I need as it will only be used for a 4-day weekend each month, with a few weeks vacation over each summer.
Still getting conflicting advice on whether to put it before or after the water softener.

Ivan Dan
03-29-2006, 11:42 PM
While I was at work the wife went and was the high bidder on a Scottsman 400 lb. unit. They run it the day before the auction for people to preview and it seemed to be working fine and was full of ice. 4 hours after picking it up and leaving it in the back of the truck it was still full. Had to dump it all in the driveway to lift it out of the truck. Kids had fun playing in it like it was snow.
At 50% efficiency 200 lbs. will be more than enough. I might even be close if it runs 25% in the hot garage during the summer. I do have an 18,000 BTU window A/C in the garage to run for the time we are out there. Plumber I spoke to in BHC said I might need to run an R/O system and a booster pump for it. I'm hoping that a good in-line filter or 2 will be all I need as it will only be used for a 4-day weekend each month, with a few weeks vacation over each summer.
Still getting conflicting advice on whether to put it before or after the water softener.
If you don't mind me asking...what did you pay for it?

RiverForUs
03-30-2006, 08:41 PM
If you don't mind me asking...what did you pay for it?
$600 plus a 10% auction fee or some shit plus tax for a total of $711 and change!