PDA

View Full Version : Back Trouble

MsDrmr
11-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Question,,,anyone out there suffer from severe back pain to the point where you can't breath and you can feel that your back is out. If you do please tell me what you do to relieve the pain.

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Yes and a four letter answer... TENS. Stands for Transcutaneous Electronic Neural Stimulator.
Buy one for about $100 get some pads and zap away. No drugs and fast pain relief. I have had one since 1990 when I had a herneated disc. I use it from time to time when my back gives me grief.
Here is one source, just do a search online and you can find one you will like.
http://www.qualitymedicalsupplies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=QMS&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TE-S&QTS=ADWORDS&QTK=TENS_UNIT

AZKC
11-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Normally I pop abunch of pain killers, use a flat frozen towel in a garbage bag and lay on it till I cant stand it. Try and do some stretching. And of course drink alot.
KC

Keithb87
11-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Soak it in cider. :D :eek:
Just joking.
Go to the Chiro, or have the Misses walk on it.
:D

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Actually the TENS saved my last Havasu trip, as I threw out my back getting the boat and the rest of the toys ready for the trip. One day of using it and I was fine. It will unwind your muscles and releases endorphins that mask or shield the pain. Oh yeah, and some ice will go a long way to helping out. Avoid the heating pad unless you use it for about 20 minutes following an icing. Used for longer periods it will increase the inflamation at the point of injury.

Kilrtoy
11-10-2003, 03:09 PM
The mrs has two Messed up disc. She was on demoral and it soon wasnt working wither. She deals with it now.....

Keithb87
11-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I don't suppose going to the Dr. or Chiropracter ever crossed anyones mind?
River"What's with the home remedies?"Dave
DUH! :D
Originally posted by Keithb87
Soak it in cider. :D :eek:
Just joking.
Go to the Chiro, or have the Misses walk on it.

Essex502
11-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Is that the same device my Chiropractor hooks me up to when my back muscles are aching?

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I don't suppose going to the Dr. or Chiropracter ever crossed anyones mind?
River"What's with the home remedies?"Dave
The Chiro was where I got the TENS. I don't go to the Chiro any more and if I have a prob. the unit takes care of it

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
Is that the same device my Chiropractor hooks me up to when my back muscles are aching?
Kind of like a dumbed down version of it. They do sell the EMS units (electronic muscle stimulation) too, but the tens is designed to relieve pain.

clownpuncher
11-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Just so happens that I just came home from the chiro. Severe muscle spasms in the lower back. My whole weekend was spent in take-your-breath-away pain. He adjusted me here and there then put my on the interferential machine (look it up on Google). That treatment along with some flexeril and a couple glasses of wine will do me good :D

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
thats what i do (chiropracter),find a good one ,some are "REAL DUMB SHITS" good luck
Problem with the Chiropractor is they never really fix you. It is not in their best interest. I have a friend whose girlfriend was a Chiro. He went to one of their conventions and in one of the seminars they discussed how to help just enough to guarantee that the patient will exhaust their chiro allowance (mine used to be $1500 or 30 visits a year back in 1990). I finally got the idea and stopped going to them, used what I had learned from their treatment and the tens unit.

clownpuncher
11-10-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Problem with the Chiropractor is they never really fix you. It is not in their best interest.
I disagree on the generalization. Yes, some chiros will take that approach, but, there are also good ones out there that want to give you some adjustments to get you back on track. Mine is the later. I've had some that wanted to put me on a three-times-a-week treatments, which I opted not to take. The one I use now is great. He'll treat me and I'm done. I might see him once or twice a year

ROZ
11-10-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
some flexeril and a couple glasses of wine will do me good :D
I don't have Chronic back problems, but once or twice a year I end up going to the Dr. to get tested after renching my back from working in the yard...
The last time was after shoveling 4 shortbed truck loads of gravel...
Doc gave me flexoril for in the evenings, and I took Aleve during the day as everything else makes me too groggy..
I took 1.5 flexoril and a Pacifico an hour before bed...Worked for me! :D

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
I disagree on the generalization. Yes, some chiros will take that approach, but, there are also good ones out there that want to give you some adjustments to get you back on track. Mine is the later. I've had some that wanted to put me on a three-times-a-week treatments, which I opted not to take. The one I use now is great. He'll treat me and I'm done. I might see him once or twice a year
Well, you are welcome to disagree. My Chiro did a good job relieving my pain, but it took a physical therapist to help me FIX the problem.
But the statement I made was based on someone I know and trust who attended the Chiro convention. I am sure many do not listen or subscribe to this thought process, but many if not most do. Looking back on the treatment, it started to make sense. No PT, just adjust, ice, muscle stim and out the door...$100 thank you very much... It helped, but did not fix the problem.
If you have one you can trust, awesome. I believe that those truly honest ones are fewer and farther between than you might think. Just my$.02

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
I don't have Chronic back problems, but once or twice a year I end up going to the Dr. to get tested after renching my back from working in the yard...
The last time was after shoveling 4 shortbed truck loads of gravel...
Doc gave me flexoril for in the evenings, and I took Aleve during the day as everything else makes me too groggy..
I took 1.5 flexoril and a Pacifico an hour before bed...Worked for me! :D
My problem is that I cannot function while taking Flex. NO matter what time of day, it will put me out...period. Even 1/2 a pill.
Soma, I can take but it doesn't do me much good.

mmered8299
11-10-2003, 05:44 PM
When my back goes out, I'm on the floor and can't move. Happens once, twice a year. I take a muscle relaxer and pain killer and go to sleep. The Tens unit works good also. It takes a day or two until I'm back to normal. I'm lifting weights now to strengthen the back and abs so I wont have any more problems.

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by mmered8299
When my back goes out, I'm on the floor and can't move. Happens once, twice a year. I take a muscle relaxer and pain killer and go to sleep. The Tens unit works good also. It takes a day or two until I'm back to normal. I'm lifting weights now to strengthen the back and abs so I wont have any more problems.
Yeah, I had the same problem when I herneated my disc. It put pressure on the siatic nerve and my back spazzed so bad it felt like a knife in the spine. I iced it and went to the Chiropractor for the first time. They got me a tens right away and started their treatment. Finally after a few months of feeling "a little better" went to the doctor and got drugs. When he got tired of renewing my prescripts I got physical therapy and that is what finally fixed it up...

Boatcop
11-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Steer clear of the Chiros. Find a good DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) They are basically MDs with additional schooling in skeletal/muscle linkage to health problems. My wife worked for one for 13 years, and their best business was fixing what the Chiros screwed up.
I've had back problems for 25 years. A minor birth defect in my L5 vertebrae (Spina Bifida Occulta) and all those years of small boats, walking on steel decks (and occasionally bulkheads) have raised havoc with my back.
An adjustment (AKA OMT - Osteopathic Manipulation Therapy)every 2 months or so. 1 Flexeril at bedtime when it gets tight and motrin keep it pretty much in check. (My whirlpool bath is also a godsend.)
The good thing about a DO over a Chiro, is that their services are covered by all Insurance Companies, while some don't recognize Chiropactors as qualifying "Doctors".
Some swear by acupunture. I tried it once, and it didn't seem to do any better than what my DO does, so I'll stick with my current regime.

Cas
11-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Problem with the Chiropractor is they never really fix you. It is not in their best interest. I have a friend whose girlfriend was a Chiro. He went to one of their conventions and in one of the seminars they discussed how to help just enough to guarantee that the patient will exhaust their chiro allowance (mine used to be $1500 or 30 visits a year back in 1990). I finally got the idea and stopped going to them, used what I had learned from their treatment and the tens unit.
If you see a Chiro or any other Dr, for that matter, that doesn't help out your situation,you're going to the wrong Dr.
My last Chiro didn't charge me for over 5 years, great guy. Current one has corrected the ailment within 1 or 2 adjustments, none of that "you need to see me 3 times a week for the next 4 weeks and 2 times for the following 6"
Anyway, mrsdrmr, find a good Dr or Chiro to take a picture or two to find out what you've got going on in their. It could be something simple or something that will take some time.
I've been seeing a Chiro since 1985 just to keep my back in shape. I don't want anything to go wrong so I like to keep it tuned up.

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Cas
If you see a Chiro or any other Dr, for that matter, that doesn't help out your situation,you're going to the wrong Dr.
My last Chiro didn't charge me for over 5 years, great guy. Current one has corrected the ailment within 1 or 2 adjustments, none of that "you need to see me 3 times a week for the next 4 weeks and 2 times for the following 6"
Anyway, mrsdrmr, find a good Dr or Chiro to take a picture or two to find out what you've got going on in their. It could be something simple or something that will take some time.
I've been seeing a Chiro since 1985 just to keep my back in shape. I don't want anything to go wrong so I like to keep it tuned up.
True, true, if you don't know what is going on with your back, i.e. what is giving you the problem, best to visit a pro and get some x rays to see if it is something that could be serious, or at least chronic.

CBLavey
11-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Two years ago I was in so much pain that I couldn't stand up much less walk. An MRI showed that my problem was actually a herniated disc.
After 5 hours of surgery and eight weeks of recovery I was just about as good as new and was water skiing within six months.
My point is that if you're in that much pain, go to your doctor and insist on an MRI. It's the only accurate way to diagnose the problem in my opinion.

MsDrmr
11-11-2003, 08:14 AM
Thanx for the help last night, went home and hubby rubbed by back for quite some time, soaked in a hot bath and took a numerous amt of pain killers. Went to bed not being able to breath. It scared the hell outta me. I have not been like that for a long time. Dr. Eagle,......I will take a look on the internet for the device you reccomended, thanks for the input. No amt of alcohol would have helped be to breath last night, however three margaritas didnt hurt.

Quality Time
11-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Get an MRI. It will tell you where you stand. I tried most of the above mentioned treatments. 7.5 hours of surgery and I'm back to normal (well normal for me). The only activities I was told to stay away from are skydiving and bungy jumping.
In my case, my nerves were impacted by the bulging disc and dislocated vetebrae. Prolonged impact may have eventually crippled me. If you venture down that path I suggest you see a neuro surgeon not a bone doctor.
Best of Luck

drbones
11-11-2003, 09:30 AM
First thing is go to doctor .... I have the same problems with my back..you need to get it xrayed and maybe a MRI ..but go to a doctor..I thought I could wait it out...wont happen..there is something wrong..or it wouldnt hurt...and get it adjusted...also the TENS UNIT IS GREAT....but the adjustment does me the best...been fighting back pain for over ten years....

HP350SC
11-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Yep-MRI and do your research on back surgeons in your area.Doesn't sound like muscle prob. IMO. Wouldn't place too much hope in the amazing claims of the electro-stimulation junk. I had back surgery 2 yrs. ago and it's been fine so far(a little stiff in the morning until shower/hot water).

HP350SC
11-11-2003, 09:37 AM
Get your mind out of the gutter!

Dr. Eagle
11-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by HP350SC
Yep-MRI and do your research on back surgeons in your area.Doesn't sound like muscle prob. IMO. Wouldn't place too much hope in the amazing claims of the electro-stimulation junk. I had back surgery 2 yrs. ago and it's been fine so far(a little stiff in the morning until shower/hot water).
Agree on the doctor and x rays and maybe mri, but don't rush to have surgery. I had a badly herneated disc and it was corrected with conservative care, PT, medication and an occasional adjustment.
It took a couple of years, but I have had bad luck in the Hospital going under the knife (Staph infection) and if you can avoid surgery IMO do so...

moneypit
11-11-2003, 11:30 PM
Im a Chiropractor. I will be the first to say that There are bad apples in all professions. The first suggestion would be to get it diagnosed....Chiropractic is great for some people and it doesnt help others, but but it depends on the condition and the person doing to the treatment. Get a good referral. Ask someone that you trust who they have gone to and if they were ethical. You dont wnat to someone who offers the platinum family plan. You want to find someone that is willing to get you better in the shortest amout of time. They should also be willing to give you a referral to someone if they cant help you.
I treat many professional Cage Fighters, Professional Baseball, golf, rodeo etc.. They didnt come to me because they found me in a phone book. They came to me because someone referred them to me. So dont beleive someone when they say get a Tens unit or a Interferrential machine, or go to an Osteopath (Although they can help). Go to someone that can diagnose the condition. It doesnt matter what kind of practitioner they are.
If you need a good referral in your area let me know. I can help.
Dave
Sportsdc@pacbell.net
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/84disc_surgery_2.bmp
Bas Rutten, 2 time UFC Champion
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/84basrutten2-med.jpg
Me and Juan Castro
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/84Simi_Valley_Chiropractor-med.jpg
My Empty Boat
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/84Cheetah_2003-med.jpg

MsDrmr
11-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Been to a chiro they are so painful for me. I am so tense that even hot baths, muscle relaxants and a massage from the MR. is not helping at all. It's been three painful days and days where my head is tingling because I can't breath. I am going to give up and go see my DR today, see what he says, I can't function like this another day. I can't even adjus my own back which I can usually do.
Thanks to all of you and your input, I appreciate it more than you'll know.

Mandelon
11-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Good, the doctor is the right place to start. There may be something else going on with your spinal cord or a bulging disc next to the spinal/nerve cord. Good Luck.
I had herniated disc in my neck, I heard it pop out.....wakeboard fall. I had numbness in the arms and could not feel my fingers, Doc told me option was to wait it out, or have surgery. I was not too keen on having my neck cut open. It took a few months of physical therapy and ice packs, plus sitting in my hot tub (not the boat, the real thing) but I am alright now.
Once you get better, keep up with a moderate exercise schedule.

Dr. Eagle
11-12-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by mrsdrmr
Been to a chiro they are so painful for me. I am so tense that even hot baths, muscle relaxants and a massage from the MR. is not helping at all. It's been three painful days and days where my head is tingling because I can't breath. I am going to give up and go see my DR today, see what he says, I can't function like this another day. I can't even adjus my own back which I can usually do.
Thanks to all of you and your input, I appreciate it more than you'll know.
Mrsdrmr,
You asked us collectively what we did if we had this problem, and I told you what worked for me. Of course I had already been to a doctor and had an x-ray and been through therapy (even though it has been years). I have had the problem long enough (14 years) that I can recognize what is going on or if there is something different that I need to see a Dr. about.
I did not mean to steer you the wrong direction, shoulda started at the beginning, get diagnosis, and treatment, guess it seemed like an obvious answer.
If it is indicated get a TENS, take drugs for pain and to relax the muscles, get conservative care, PT go the whole course before going the hospital and surgery route unless it is unavoidable.
Too many bad things happen in the Hospital. Too many germs in the Hospital. My Staph infection from the Hospital took 6 months to get rid of, 6 months of an IV direct line (PICC) threaded through a vein above my heart pumping in Vancomyacin twice a day. It cost me my job because I was ordered not to work and felt so crappy I couldn't if I had wanted to.
Take care of the problem, life is too short...

MsDrmr
11-13-2003, 07:55 AM
Broke down and went to Dr yesterday, found out it was not my back but my rib,,,,I have a rib out of place pressing against my spine and into my lung,,,Chiro today and pain meds lets hope this will solve the prob...No idea how this happend.

Quality Time
11-13-2003, 08:00 AM
Good Luck, I hope you are pain free soon!