PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Question

Her454
11-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Cant find this anywhere in Calif DMV or on the web.....
You can turn right on a red in California.....but isn't it illegal to turn right, on the outside lane (when there are two right hand lanes).....?

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-10-2003, 04:25 PM
i have lived here all my life and i can't tell you either way. i'm not sure. sorry. :confused:

Her454
11-10-2003, 04:27 PM
DAMn I need to get off this Mountain More! LMAO!!!!:rolleyes:

Ziggy
11-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Her454
Cant find this anywhere in Calif DMV or on the web.....
You can turn right on a red in California.....but isn't it illegal to turn right, on the outside lane (when there are two right hand lanes).....?
I do believe its ok, same rule applies. Lets put it this way, I was followed a PD when I made that very move. No Blue/Red lights for me.

Her454
11-10-2003, 04:30 PM
Cmon, someone has to know ................???

Kilrtoy
11-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Im not following you
Go to the states web site
i believe it is ca. gov.....
did u get a ticket
ask Havasu Hangin he knows all the traffic laws......

Her454
11-10-2003, 04:33 PM
I did go there and couldnt find it.......No ticket, just made a statement and might have stuck my foot in my mouth...
AND, if its legal.......THEN I WAS WRONG, AND I APOLOGIZE MR BAD MEDS. ;)

Kilrtoy
11-10-2003, 04:38 PM
ok so u are on a four lane road(2 lanes in each direction )
and from the lane most center on the roadway you turn right. Is that what you are saying. Or are you saying there are 2 marked right turn lanes

Her454
11-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
ok so u are on a four lane road(2 lanes in each direction )
and from the lane most center on the roadway you turn right. Is that what you are saying. Or are you saying there are 2 marked right turn lanes
2 Marked right turn lanes. I think. Crap, now Im confused. Im pretty sure it was 2 "marked" right turn lanes.
Correct me BM if Im wrong?

Kilrtoy
11-10-2003, 04:43 PM
If there are two marked lanes and it is posted to turn right you are ok...........

Havasu Hangin'
11-10-2003, 04:47 PM
If there are two marked lanes and it is posted to turn right you are ok ...
I never thought I'd say this...
...but I think babytoy is right. Dedicated turn lane- OK (it's marked).

Kilrtoy
11-10-2003, 04:50 PM
I went from a KILRTOY to a RAIDER HATER to a BABYTOY
all in one day
SHit i'm a F#$@ Chameleon

Cheap Thrills
11-10-2003, 04:51 PM
say this is a controlled intersection IE. traffic light
the center lane may turn right on red following the pattern indicated by the arrows , now the outside lane cant do a right into the inside lane that would be concidered unsafe not to mention what the poor SOB in the right lane that was turning also that just ran over the shopping cart lady waiting at the bus stop called it .. (can you say run on sentence?) :rolleyes:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/images/dlhdbk/29bhop.gif
C.T. :wink:

MagicMtnDan
11-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Last time I went to traffic school, it was NOT legal for any lane other than the curbside lane to make a right turn on red (unless of course there's a sign prohibiting it then no one can).

Cheap Thrills
11-10-2003, 06:17 PM
You may be right .
Ive never had the pleasure of going to "Traffic School"
other than drivers ed before I got my licenses and then my CDL training .
22 years driving and zero moving violations in the past 20.
Just going by FMVR DOT handbook.
Your state may have other rules that are more or less strict .
ALBEIT I may be wrong. :D
C.T. :wink:

Kilrtoy
11-10-2003, 06:19 PM
both were marked for right turn DAN

MagicMtnDan
11-10-2003, 10:57 PM
both were marked for right turn DAN
Doesn't matter (at least it didn't - unless they changed the law). It didn't matter if three lanes were marked for right turn. The law used to (and still may) say ONLY THE ONE LANE AT THE CURB CAN MAKE A RIGHT TURN ON RED.

Kilrtoy
11-10-2003, 11:09 PM
And what section of the vc would that be

396_Z
11-10-2003, 11:31 PM
If I remember right ( 2 defensive driving courses, commercial drivers license and lets not discuss how many 'cause I got a ticket driving courses all in CA) the law is curb to curb turns only when against a red unless otherwise posted.
Meaning as long as you start and end in the curbside lane it's legal. Anything else is a no-no unless there is a sign saying it's cool.

Kilrtoy
11-10-2003, 11:33 PM
21800vc
21453vc
22100vc
nothing prohibits it ......

21rayson
11-10-2003, 11:35 PM
i'd say thats a catch 22 just depends on the officer. or if it is marked no right on red. just my opinion.

6 Dollar Boat
11-10-2003, 11:51 PM
I was told in traffic school right turn on red is ok from both lanes in this situation.
Circular Red or Red Arrow
21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).
(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.
(c) A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.
(d) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 21456, a pedestrian facing a steady circular red or red arrow signal shall not enter the roadway.

Hal
11-10-2003, 11:52 PM
I got a ticket for making a right from the center lane on a red light a few years ago in Corona. At the main st off ramp on the 91. I thought it was legal the cop said it was'nt. $135.00 :frown:

Her454
11-11-2003, 07:06 AM
I'm seeing conflicting answers here and Im still not clear .....?

Lady Rat Attack 1
11-11-2003, 07:08 AM
Just tell Bad Meds that YOU WIN ;)

Her454
11-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Lady Rat Attack 1
Just tell Bad Meds that YOU WIN ;)
That sounds good. A little white lie wont hurt. :D

C-2
11-11-2003, 08:27 AM
Geesh, good question, can’t believe how hard it was to find an answer. The long and short is the answer is……it’s legal.
If you’ve ever driven in downtown LA (actually most downtown areas that have a lot of one-way streets), that second right turn lane is a lifesaver when it comes to pedestrians crossing the street (you know, the a-holes that continue to walk even though the no-walk sign is flashing).
“Question: Is it ever legal to make a right turn on red from the second lane from the right?
Answer: If the lane is marked with a sign or a white arrow on the pavement to indicate a right turn, it is legal to make a right turn on red from the lane said Lt. Frank Emoto with the San Bernardino Police Department.
"You need to turn into the proper lane," he added. Turning into the wrong lane, the one farthest to the right, would result in a ticket.
Drivers must also check both lanes of traffic from their left. Also make sure there is no opposing traffic turning left or making a U-turn in front the driver making the right turn on red. A vehicle with a green arrow for a left turn or green arrow for a U-turn has the right of way, not a vehicle with a red light. "
Here is the actual VC cite:
22100. Except as provided in Section 22100.5 or 22101, the driver
of any vehicle intending to turn upon a highway shall do so as
follows:
(a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a
right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the
right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except:
(1) Upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in
one direction which terminates at an intersecting highway
accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in
the middle lane may turn right into any lane lawfully available to
traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.
(2) When a right-hand turn is made from a one-way highway at an
intersection, a driver shall approach the turn as provided in
subdivision (a) and shall complete the turn in any lane lawfully
available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being
entered.
(3) Upon a highway having an additional lane or lanes marked for a
right turn by appropriate signs or markings, the driver of a vehicle
may turn right from any lane designated and marked for that turning
movement.
(b) Left Turns. The approach for a left turn shall be made as
close as practicable to the left-hand edge of the extreme left-hand
lane or portion of the roadway lawfully available to traffic moving
in the direction of travel of such vehicle and, when turning at an
intersection, the left turn shall not be made before entering the
intersection. After entering the intersection, the left turn shall
be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available
to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered,
except:
(1) Upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in
one direction which terminates at an intersecting highway
accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in
the middle lane may turn left into any lane lawfully available to
traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.

Her454
11-11-2003, 08:35 AM
THANK YOU...............but we had already decided I was right......we'll keep the answer a little secret tho.
I WON, I WON. :p

Boatcop
11-11-2003, 08:36 AM
OK folks, I found the following:
22100. Except as provided in Section 22100.5 or 22101, the driver of any vehicle intending to turn upon a highway shall do so as follows:
(a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a
right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the
right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except:
(1) Upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in one direction which terminates at an intersecting highway accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in the middle lane may turn right into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.
(2) When a right-hand turn is made from a one-way highway at an intersection, a driver shall approach the turn as provided in
subdivision (a) and shall complete the turn in any lane lawfully
available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.
(3) Upon a highway having an additional lane or lanes marked for a right turn by appropriate signs or markings, the driver of a vehicle may turn right from any lane designated and marked for that turning movement.
This section allows a person to turn right from any lane marked for a right turn. Although not specifically mentioning a right turn on red light, this paragraph gives the same rights and responsibilities in the additional right turn lane, as the curb-side right turn laneas long as it's marked as a right turn lane.
It is still confusing as to whether the turn has to end in a specific lane, although according to paragraph "1" & "2", right turns may end in any lane available. The question arises as to whether a divided roadway can be classified as "One Way".
I suspect that Hal's $135.00 ticket was for making a right turn from a lane other than curbside, and not marked as a right turn lane.

Her454
11-11-2003, 08:41 AM
Well UH, thanks C-J and Boatcop........I guess there is no getting out of it now........
Ok, in the situation I described, I dont remember (that should save me somewhat) if it was marked, but it "probably" was....SO...there ya have it Bad Meds, I was wron.
For some reason I cant type out that whole word........;) ;)

Boatcop
11-11-2003, 08:53 AM
SO...there ya have it Bad Meds, I was wron.
For some reason I cant type out that whole word........
Are you my wife?????

Her454
11-11-2003, 09:10 AM
LMAO! I'd love to meet her someday, sounds like we have alot in common. :D