PDA

View Full Version : Rat Fink, Ed Big Daddy Roth!

superdave013
11-11-2003, 07:34 AM
I'm telling ya, living is So Cal can be so cool some times as you just never know what you'll run into next. That's one reason that I pretty much always have my digi cam with me now days.
Anyway I was driving around Anaheim yesterday looking at some shop spaces. I drove by it and flipped a U turn to get the shot.
This car is not my cup O tea but I was a HUGE Rat Fink fan when I was a kid. I just had to stop and click a few pics of this car.
Enjoy, looks just like the hot wheels version that I had.
Higher res. pics of this are in the image center for all you Roth fans.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9Rat_Fink1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9Rat_Fink-med.jpg

Her454
11-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Thats pretty ccol!

THE VIKING
11-11-2003, 07:43 AM
I have read several articles about ed "big daddy Roth"
Cool dude, no doubt.
The viking

Infomaniac
11-11-2003, 07:43 AM
Wow that is cool.
I wonder if the shifter knob has ever been used LOL

JetBoatRich
11-11-2003, 07:51 AM
Cool looking car:D
Kinda curious, is it street legal? It has no plates

old rigger
11-11-2003, 08:07 AM
I'm a huge Roth fan too (duh, look it my avitar).
Superdave,
that car got a lot of press in the last few years. Believe it or not, it started out as a Model A coupe and built by a member of a Orange County club called the Shifters. You can still see the old belt line that's in the quarter panel and where the doors use to be.
They're a bunch of young Rock-a-Billy type guys that have kinda re-vived the build it your self, hands on rat rod movement that's caught on lately, as opposd to the billet, bolt on world of (ugh) fiberglass hot rods.
That car use to have a complete bubble top, but as you can imagine, it's like riding around in a microwave oven inside that thing.
Very cool!

superdave013
11-11-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by old rigger
They're a bunch of young Rock-a-Billy type guys that have kinda re-vived the build it your self, hands on rat rod movement that's caught on lately, as opposd to the billet, bolt on world of (ugh) fiberglass hot rods.
A bunch of them live down the street from me. Kid had an old Merc that was flat black, flamed, frenched, Roth style shifter, the whole deal. Was a cool car until a big tree fell on it last year. lol, He didn't give up on it. Last time I saw it he had it looking pretty good. Well it's getting there. Another has an old Rivira (sp) that's pretty cool. Another has a 50 Chevy truck that's just stunning. Show winner for sure. I'll snap some pics of it.

superdave013
11-11-2003, 08:20 AM
That car use to have a complete bubble top, but as you can imagine, it's like riding around in a microwave oven inside that thing.
Very cool!
The hot wheels version had the entier top. Wish I still had mine.

Itsahobby
11-11-2003, 08:32 AM
My buddy's dad use to build "rat rods". He had a bud who owned
a junkyard. He would just go down, pick out a roller, drag it home
and brake out the torch! Guys got to be close to 80 and still doing
it. Right now, he is working on a early 50s chevy truck. It has a
pontiac GTA rearend with discs and a all chrome straight axle, up
front. Check this out, no gauges, you plug in small panel when
driving. It's cool to look in and see a blank dash. No holes, nothing.
Hobby
I'm a huge Roth fan too (duh, look it my avitar).
Superdave,
that car got a lot of press in the last few years. Believe it or not, it started out as a Model A coupe and built by a member of a Orange County club called the Shifters. You can still see the old belt line that's in the quarter panel and where the doors use to be.
Very cool!

old rigger
11-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
The hot wheels version had the entier top. Wish I still had mine.
Hot wheels version of what? That thing was just built over the last 2 or three years. It was built in the style of a Roth car, but it's not a one of his.
I'd like to see his Riveria. My next car will be a 65 Rivi. Wanted one since they were new and the girl down the street got one for her birthday. This was in 65, she was 17 or so and I was about 9 or 10. I can still see her crusing down the street in that thing, her hair piled up bee hive style, and she always wore white mini skirts to match her white on white Rivi..................

superdave013
11-11-2003, 08:50 AM
Hot wheels version of what? That thing was just built over the last 2 or three years. It was built in the style of a Roth car, but it's not a one of his.
I'd like to see his Riveria. My next car will be a 65 Rivi. Wanted one since they were new and the girl down the street got one for her birthday. This was in 65, she was 17 or so and I was about 9 or 10. I can still see her crusing down the street in that thing, her hair piled up bee hive style, and she always wore white mini skirts to match her white on white Rivi..................
Oh, I thought it was his cars. It looks alot older then 2 or 3 years old. The inside was a rotten mess and that's why I didn't get a pic of it.

Blown 472
11-11-2003, 08:51 AM
A bunch of them live down the street from me. Kid had an old Merc that was flat black, flamed, frenched, Roth style shifter, the whole deal. Was a cool car until a big tree fell on it last year. lol, He didn't give up on it. Last time I saw it he had it looking pretty good. Well it's getting there. Another has an old Rivira (sp) that's pretty cool. Another has a 50 Chevy truck that's just stunning. Show winner for sure. I'll snap some pics of it.
Got to love the flat black hot rods.

THE VIKING
11-11-2003, 09:33 AM
The great thing about Ed Roth is that he don't just take a fibreglass bathtub, mount some wide wheels and then thats it, but really style and design his rods.
But i'm sorry to say that hot rod building in Denmark is illegal.
Almost as stupid as the oralsex forbidding thing.
The viking.

old rigger
11-11-2003, 09:45 AM
Oh, I thought it was his cars. It looks alot older then 2 or 3 years old. The inside was a rotten mess and that's why I didn't get a pic of it.
Well, there's a good reason they got tagged with the term
'Rat Rods'.
Viking,
actually, I think he did once take a bath tub and make a show car out of it, someone did in the late 60's or early 70's. ( I know you were talking about 'T' tubs) but you're right, his stuff was pure style. There are many who say hes the most influencial artist of the 20th century. I dunno, maybe he was. His influence is still felt today more than ever, hell even Plymouth is using 'monster art in their advertising. Roth and Von Dutch started it all, Dutch came first.
Roth would make his bodies out of plaster, sand grind and shape them to what was in his head then pop a mold off that and make a glass body. He'd then take his running gear, still covered with plaster to the chrome shop and tell them to chrome it all. that way he wouldn't have to clean up his mess, the chrome shop had to.

Bad Meds
11-11-2003, 10:14 AM
I really dig all the Rat Fink stuff. People say my car reminds them of an Ed Roth Rat Fink car.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/185GTO_PICS-med.JPG

THE VIKING
11-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Oh year, i believe his co-worker who did all the sanding and grinding of the fibreglass was named "Dirty Doug"he sanded in between scratching himself.
Ed Roth made his own stuff, he did'nt modifie or rebuild things, but did it all from scratch would love to one day own cherishe and take care of one of his cars.
The viking.

superdave013
11-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Bad Meds
I really dig all the Rat Fink stuff. People say my car reminds them of an Ed Roth Rat Fink car.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/185GTO_PICS-med.JPG
I love the high front end gasser look myself.
But dude, I have to ask. Is everything you own blown / injected?
I bet you have a hat on your lawnmower.

fourspeednup
11-11-2003, 01:24 PM
64 tempest/ lemans right?
Is that a straight axle up front? Hell yeah!
:eek: :D :eek: :D

Bad Meds
11-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Superdave013,I wish. I just have a thing for blown injected motors:D
Fourspeed, yes that is a straight axle . The car has been that way since 1970.It is a GTO. A real one even !

Her454
11-11-2003, 01:53 PM
But dude, I have to ask. Is everything you own blown / injected?
I bet you have a hat on your lawnmower.
No shit SD...you should see his Blown Injected blender....makes one hell of a Margarita...........!! :D :D