PDA

View Full Version : Denali XL

NorCalCat
11-12-2003, 10:48 AM
Anyone towing with the Denali XL 6.0L? Thoughts? If so what are you towing?

boxscore
11-12-2003, 12:56 PM
I'm towing w/ an '04 GMC 2500 with the 6.0. Good power, even on hills. Mileage is horrendous. I won't even look at the in dash mpg computer anymore... just gets me depressed. <10mpg. Towing is about 9 mpg. But overall, the motor has gobs of power. Of course, not like the duramax. Best feature is the "tow mode" on the tranny. Holds the lower gears much longer on the grades, getting in and out of the gas doesn't result in gear hunting with the tranny. When is GM gonna offer the deisel in the burbs and yukon xl's? Now that would be a sweet ride.

NorCalCat
11-12-2003, 03:10 PM
What are you towing?

Party Cat
11-12-2003, 03:23 PM
I've got a neighbor that has a 6.0 Suburban and pulls a 25' Daytona.....Don't know about the fuel economy, but he says it pulls just fine....

anxious
11-12-2003, 05:03 PM
8.1 crewcab on 42's gets about 8 around town not towing anything:cry:

boxscore
11-12-2003, 05:45 PM
i'm towing a 26 DCB. Pulls fine, good on hills... but again, only about 9 mpg. I saw some time ago, someone popping off about the 8.1 (496 cu) getting something like 15 mpg's . Thats fantasy at best. I'm only getting about 10 overall non towing.

Rick Byers
11-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Well let me POP OFF again about my gas mileage on my 8.1 powered Avalanche. 15-16 on the hiway. 11-12 pulling 6000 pounds of boat trailer and stuff. I bought the 8.1 because of the fact it gets better gas mileage than the 6.0. Anyone who thinks I am blowing smoke I will invite to come by the house some weekend and we will drive from Fairfield/Suisun Ca. to Redding or Yereka and I will let you pump the gas to fill it up prior to starting our trip then let you pump it when we get back with gas still in the tank to top it off and figure out the mileage for our trip. I don't make statements that I can't back up with facts.
Rick

Dr. Eagle
11-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by boxscore
I'm towing w/ an '04 GMC 2500 with the 6.0. Good power, even on hills. Mileage is horrendous. I won't even look at the in dash mpg computer anymore... just gets me depressed. <10mpg. Towing is about 9 mpg. But overall, the motor has gobs of power. Of course, not like the duramax. Best feature is the "tow mode" on the tranny. Holds the lower gears much longer on the grades, getting in and out of the gas doesn't result in gear hunting with the tranny. When is GM gonna offer the deisel in the burbs and yukon xl's? Now that would be a sweet ride.
Wow, my 01 K2500 8.1 does better than your 6.0 for mileage. I get between 11 and 13 mpg around town, 13 to 14 hwy. I got about 8 when towing the 9500 lb Eliminator but I barely notice any difference in the mileage from non towing with my Ultra. I get about 10 to 11.
I am pretty light on the foot to try to keep the mileage up. If you have a lead foot, it gobbles the gas. If I drive it hard I can get as little as 8 around town, that is why I lightened up on the throttle and drive it as smoothly as I can.
I am a little surprised at your mileage, maybe it has something to do with terrain or something...pretty flat most places I go round here.

boxscore
11-13-2003, 06:39 AM
Wow! 16 mpg is amazing. Could it be because I've got 4:10 gears? Nonetheless, that's superb mileage. How did you know before you bought that the 8.1 gets better mileage than the 6.0? I never inquired about it, just made the assumption it wouldn't. Was your estimated mileage printed on your window sticker?... mine was not because the GVVR rating on the truck is high and they are not required to do so. What is the cost diff between the two motors?.... It begs the question as to why GM would even offer the 6.0. The 5.3 gets the mileage your talking about. I shoulda spent a few hundred bucks more, eh?

SchellSchock
11-13-2003, 09:14 AM
I can vouch for the mileage figures on the 8.1. Have the Chevy 2500 8.1 with 4:10 gears. After I learned to quit "Jack rabitting from the lights etc. (hard to do though cuz' the tank flat get's with it) and keeping cruise set at 65 I'm getting average's of 11.5 around town, 14-15 San Diego to LA and back on freeway, and 10 pulling 4000# boat from here to river and back. I did research on the net prior to buying and the 8.1 to 6.0 mileage figures aren't very much different. The HP figures are within 40 of each but the big block generats alot more torque and at a lot lower RPM than the small block so it stands to reason that they are pretty much even in gas consumption. As I stated earlier the biggest problem is curbing the "I can nail it and smoke your but" tendencies.:D :D :D

Dr. Eagle
11-13-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by boxscore
Wow! 16 mpg is amazing. Could it be because I've got 4:10 gears? Nonetheless, that's superb mileage. How did you know before you bought that the 8.1 gets better mileage than the 6.0? I never inquired about it, just made the assumption it wouldn't. Was your estimated mileage printed on your window sticker?... mine was not because the GVVR rating on the truck is high and they are not required to do so. What is the cost diff between the two motors?.... It begs the question as to why GM would even offer the 6.0. The 5.3 gets the mileage your talking about. I shoulda spent a few hundred bucks more, eh? \
They don't test the 8.1 it is exempt from EPA fuel economy tests as it is considered a commercial truck.
The numbers are pretty good now, but it has as much to do with how I drive as the engine itself...I think. It just has so damn much power you can keep your foot out of it, accelerate normally and coast as much as possible...

jackpunx
11-13-2003, 10:42 AM
7.4 ,4:56 gears.. 6-8 mpg..:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
11-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by SchellSchock
I can vouch for the mileage figures on the 8.1. Have the Chevy 2500 8.1 with 4:10 gears. After I learned to quit "Jack rabitting from the lights etc. (hard to do though cuz' the tank flat get's with it) and keeping cruise set at 65 I'm getting average's of 11.5 around town, 14-15 San Diego to LA and back on freeway, and 10 pulling 4000# boat from here to river and back. I did research on the net prior to buying and the 8.1 to 6.0 mileage figures aren't very much different. The HP figures are within 40 of each but the big block generats alot more torque and at a lot lower RPM than the small block so it stands to reason that they are pretty much even in gas consumption. As I stated earlier the biggest problem is curbing the "I can nail it and smoke your but" tendencies.:D :D :D
That is consistent with what I get. I have 3.73 gears so my numbers might be a little better, but I think they seem to be down right close to the sameo.
I had a 92 with a 350 and TB injection, when I sold it I had 145K miles and it was getting about the same mileage as the big block. Of course with an engine with that much use, the 350 was likely getting 20% less mileage than when newer.
It is all about torque with this motor. 70 ft lbs less than the Duramax. I don't need much gas pedal to get it going from a signal and I am not driving like a grandma. You just smooth out the take off and just touch the gas pedal to accelerate from a signal. If you punch it (jackrabit) and then back off, mileage goes in the toilet. Took me a few months to figure that out.

Rick Byers
11-13-2003, 09:23 PM
I am the Service Manager/Shop Foreman for an Automotive repair Shop> We work on quite afew trucks and I am always asking my customers what they get for mileage. My Avalanche has the 8.1 4L80E trans 4X4 3.73 Locking differential. My wife hates it because I get the same mileage as she does with hers 2WD 5.3. I think it has alot to do with the pressure on the pedal.
GVWR is 8600 with a tow rateing of 11900 pounds. I love the power of this thing. The fly by wire throttle took some getting use to.
Happy Boating Rick

Dr. Eagle
11-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Rick Byers
I am the Service Manager/Shop Foreman for an Automotive repair Shop> We work on quite afew trucks and I am always asking my customers what they get for mileage. My Avalanche has the 8.1 4L80E trans 4X4 3.73 Locking differential. My wife hates it because I get the same mileage as she does with hers 2WD 5.3. I think it has alot to do with the pressure on the pedal.
Rick
Do you work in Concord????
I agree, it lets you drive it nice and easy so you don't have to get so far into the throttle...

Rick Byers
11-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Hey Dr. Eagle
I work in Benicia at a place called A-L Gears on Park Road Been there about 4.5 years. Ben an Auto Tech for 40 years. Gave it up for awhile to work on Boats but went back to cars and trucks no challenge in working on boats. Used to be into Drag racing but gave it up to play with fast boats.
Rick

Havasubum
11-13-2003, 09:40 PM
i got the 7.4 4.10 gears and gets 14 to 15 mpg

Kilrtoy
11-17-2003, 01:45 AM
I dont feel so bad with my F150 getting 8 when towing

NorCalCat
11-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Rick
You are telling me that your 8.1 L is getting better than the 6.0 L?
I just picked up the 6.0 and before break in I am getting 12mpg. Gee can't wait to tow to Lake Tahoe 5 mpg...

jackpunx
11-18-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Havasubum
i got the 7.4 4.10 gears and gets 14 to 15 mpg
If I got that.. I would keep my Gas motor.. With the wheels and gears.. Its not happening over here.. I will be getting a diesel in the next couple of months.

Raskal
11-18-2003, 05:46 PM
my 6.0 gets. 10 when i pull and 11 empty .it dose have alot to do with the way i drive thou i just love the sound of the motor when in it <witch is all the time >.when my wife drives it she can get about 13 t0 14 .she did get 15 mpg one time towing the boat home from powell but that was following the motor home at a whooping 55 mph all the way home .:D

beach gomer
11-18-2003, 07:38 PM
I have a 03 burb running 35s with a 6" cal supper trucks lift .6.0 with 4:10 gears was getting 10mpg. After i instalded the super chip I started to get 12 and if i take ny foot out of it ,it can only get better

Dr. Eagle
11-18-2003, 09:22 PM
Hey Dr. Eagle
I work in Benicia at a place called A-L Gears on Park Road Been there about 4.5 years. Ben an Auto Tech for 40 years. Gave it up for awhile to work on Boats but went back to cars and trucks no challenge in working on boats. Used to be into Drag racing but gave it up to play with fast boats.
Rick
Cool, I didn't know if you were working at a dealer or at a shop. Benecia is a nice place except when all the traffic is pouring through going to Concord, Walnut Creek and SF...:D

Rick Byers
11-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Hey NorCal Cat Wecome to Chevy's Land of Bigger is better.
My boss's son and boss both have 6.0 Chevy's.

NorCalCat
11-19-2003, 02:13 PM
My CPA sent this to me. He said it will no longer be available starting January 01, 2004. So I guess it is a good time to go buy your new tow rig without feeling guilty.
I hope you can read this. If no PM me and I can send it to you.

jackpunx
11-19-2003, 03:48 PM
what is it?

RandyH
11-25-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by NorCalCat
My CPA sent this to me. He said it will no longer be available starting January 01, 2004. So I guess it is a good time to go buy your new tow rig without feeling guilty.
I hope you can read this. If no PM me and I can send it to you.
My CPA told me today that this might be pulled backed for O4. Too many complaints about it. Local IRS auditor told him that they will cut this back for sure but how would he really know. Laws are written by Congress. Tree huggers are really up in arms about the whole deal. Last week I picked up 7 customers at the airport in my Yukon XL. Try that in a Taurus?? I hope they keep it another year at least.
RandyH

Mandelon
11-26-2003, 01:17 AM
I have been contemplating that purchase and wondered about that tax break, I will check with my tax guy ASAP. thanks.

MagicMtnDan
11-26-2003, 07:35 AM
Well let me POP OFF again about my gas mileage on my 8.1 powered Avalanche. 15-16 on the hiway. 11-12 pulling 6000 pounds of boat trailer and stuff. I bought the 8.1 because of the fact it gets better gas mileage than the 6.0. Anyone who thinks I am blowing smoke I will invite to come by the house some weekend and we will drive from Fairfield/Suisun Ca. to Redding or Yereka and I will let you pump the gas to fill it up prior to starting our trip then let you pump it when we get back with gas still in the tank to top it off and figure out the mileage for our trip. I don't make statements that I can't back up with facts.
Rick
Funny stuff. You gotta be driving it like you're trying to make it last a million miles - 45MPH on the freeway, no fast starts, etc., if you're getting 15-16MPG with an Avalanche (6000 pound truck). I know lots of Av owners and many with 8.1L motors (including me) and you're the ONLY one who claims 15-16MPGs...

boxscore
11-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
Funny stuff. You gotta be driving it like you're trying to make it last a million miles - 45MPH on the freeway, no fast starts, etc., if you're getting 15-16MPG with an Avalanche (6000 pound truck). I know lots of Av owners and many with 8.1L motors (including me) and you're the ONLY one who claims 15-16MPGs...
You said it. I thought it. You have balls. I apparently don't.
I can't quite swallow that story either. (here comes some ruffled feathers)