PDA

View Full Version : launching with 2wd ?

BOBALOO
11-12-2003, 06:09 PM
I know 4wd is preferred but who tows with a 2wd 1/2 ton? My concern is pulling up a launch ramp and not sliding backwards like some lake lice amatuers. I currently have stock tires on my 2001 silverado extended cab and would think that putting some BFG's on might help. B.T.W. it has the limited slip and the boat is a 25' Eliminator Eagle. I would like a new truck but got the boat in sept and my chevy was in an accident 3 days later so I havent towed with it yet. What is the biggest boat you trailer with a 1/2 ton?

Akamatsu
11-12-2003, 10:44 PM
2WD should not be a problem for "most" launch ramps. Is this your first boat? I have seen people slide backwards, but this is usually while they are stepping on the gas harder while the tires are spinning. If you have no traction, panicking and stomping the gas causing the wheels to spin faster does not help. Ease into the gas. With a 25' boat, that means you have 25' of trailer as well. You probably won't even need to get your wheels wet to launch at most ramps. There are exceptions, telephone cove comes to mind. Where do you typically boat, or plan to boat?
Akamatsu
P.S. I have 4WD and have engaged it once while launching(actually I was retrieving), just as a precaution. Otherwise I am in 2WD all the time.

SchellSchock
11-13-2003, 09:21 AM
The biggest issue with pulling out with 2wd is to make sure you "ease" in to it. Second is to get weight over axle if slippage does occur. Last month at the launch ramp some dumbass is tryin to pull a Regal 24 footer out with a 1/2ton 2wd pu. As soon as it started to slip he nails it and result is "smoke". Funniest part I walk by , tell him "have the 4 people, (all adults), in the boat get out and get in the bed of pu result no problem.

fourspeednup
11-13-2003, 09:54 AM
Yeah, don't be that guy on the ramp who has his boat full of people and sits there roasting the tires. Don't get me wrong, I love burnouts and tire smoke just not on the launch ramp while I'm waiting in line.
Shoudn't have a problem, worst comes to worst, toss the useless non-boating buddies who didn't bring any beer in the bed as dead weight.:D

mbrown2
11-13-2003, 10:11 AM
We used to launch and retrieve my dad's 28' Sleekcraft with his 1500 Chevy 2WD...all the time....and we did not even need any tricks to do so...just go easy on the gas and the key is to not let is slip....
Now if you launch on steep slippery ramps, there are a couple of things you can try....
1. Take the people out of the boat and put them on the bumper...it will allow the weight to get over the axles and help you to pull out....
*** And my favorite...how to turn a 2WD into a 4WD drive ***
2. Once you have your wife or friend back down the trailer, you get it on the trailer and secured, strapped at the front, get everyone out of the boat, and as you signal the person to start pulling out slowly.......
Pull your outdrive up a little bit, start the boat motor, put it into gear and apply the gas a little bit in the boat just to assist the the truck get up the ramp....Obviously, once the truck starts moving up the ramp and the boat starts to leave the water, put the boat in neutral and shut it down immediately..
Used to have a 2WD Tundra and pulled the 23 Eliminator out on a steep, slippery Parker AZ ramp all the time that way...
Good luck...no reason to trade in just yet, if you can try the above and make it work...:)

jackpunx
11-13-2003, 10:19 AM
I have a big 4x4.. I never use 4 wheel dr to pull out.. The trick is easy on the gas.. Just use the brake like a clutch.. Give it a little gas .. and let off the break.. easing into it.. DO NOT SPIN THE TIRES.. if you do.. Start over.. I promise.. you wont have a problem.. Just go slow.. Be safe .. and have fun.. :D

rivercrazy
11-13-2003, 11:43 AM
I have a 2000 Tundra that is 4WD. I pull a 25 Shockwave Tremor all the time out in 2WD without problems. In fact, its really 1WD cause I don't have a limited slip diff. As others have stated, its all in controlling wheelspin.
I think my Snugtop shell helps a little with a 150 pounds or so over the rear axle.

BOBALOO
11-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have owned 3 other boats before this one but they were all less weight. I was concerned because the 2wd crew cab super duty I rented sucked on the ramp. wheel spin is my concern but the wife does a great job keeping that in check. starting out in 2nd gear (automatic) seems to help on slippery ramps. the wife needs a new car so if I can put off buying a new truck it will help. Gonna buy some tires and keep a bunch of chit under the tonneau cover like normal.

jbtrailerjim
11-13-2003, 05:55 PM
I have a 2 wheel drive Ford F150 Super Crew and I pull out my 24' Ultra with no problems. My father used to have a 2 wheel drive F150 that he used pull his 26' Sleek Craft. He also never had a problem.

Jrocket
11-13-2003, 08:43 PM
Just hammer the throttle,then drop her in drive!:D

HotHallet
11-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Ease into the throttle and if the tires start to slip turn the wheel to the right and the truck will grab.

fourspeednup
11-25-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by HotHallet
Ease into the throttle and if the tires start to slip turn the wheel to the right and the truck will grab.
Really? Cool trick:cool:

OutCole'd
11-25-2003, 03:11 PM
I have never launched with anything but a 2wd. And never had a problem.

CrazyHippy
11-25-2003, 05:26 PM
I have 4wd, and have never used it...
With the diesel you dont even have to touch the gas most of the time.
BJH:D

Back To Havasu
11-25-2003, 07:15 PM
I too have a 4X4 (2001 Tahoe). Never had to put it in 4-wheel drive to launch or retrieve.;)

HammerDown
11-26-2003, 06:15 AM
If your real wheel start to slip...a little trick is to apply the emergency brake (just a few clicks). What this dose is stop the wheel thats slipping and sends traction to the other wheel. Try it it works.

BOBALOO
11-26-2003, 07:09 PM
I didnt think many people read the tow rigs forum,but it has been slow around here. Thanks for the replies, I will finally be able to use the boat at Havasu for the light parade so I can test it out at site 6. If it is good there, it will be good just about wherever we go. Hope to see some of you out there. I had to take some time off boating to work on the house. For some reason nothing gets done in the summer.:rolleyes: ::

Bumn_a_ride
11-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Don't sweat it Bobaloo, if your chevy can't do it, you know My Ford will!! Can't wait!:wink:

TheLurker
11-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by mbrown2
*** And my favorite...how to turn a 2WD into a 4WD drive ***
2. Once you have your wife or friend back down the trailer, you get it on the trailer and secured, strapped at the front, get everyone out of the boat, and as you signal the person to start pulling out slowly.......
Pull your outdrive up a little bit, start the boat motor, put it into gear and apply the gas a little bit in the boat just to assist the the truck get up the ramp....Obviously, once the truck starts moving up the ramp and the boat starts to leave the water, put the boat in neutral and shut it down immediately..
I can see how it would work but..God Dam I cringed reading that

cc322
11-29-2003, 08:55 PM
I have a 4x4 Expy that I have never had to use . But when I need it it is thier for me. I do use it every year out in the sierra range trout fishing and shootin and it always gets me home :D

Kilrtoy
12-01-2003, 01:15 AM
I just bought the F250 SD V10, 4X2 with 4:30 rear end gears. Its a towing monster from everything I have read. But I have no clue. YET
Had a 99 Expedition5.4L 4X2 and it towed and pulled up ramps like a champ. Just dumped my 02 F150 supercrew 5.4L Towed like a honda and got stuck twice, slipped up every damn ramp. That is why I have my new truck

likwidsukr
12-05-2003, 09:57 PM
You decided to go with the 4x2 instesd. Have you sold the black truck? And man was that a tuff dec. 4x4 or 4x2? Now go back to the site and look at the blower set-up for the v-10. You will not believe it!!!!
Congrats on the new FORD post some pics!!!!

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 10:07 PM
The wife was upset, She loved that truck, BUT she hated the way it towed she always drove at and around the lake/river. She always complained. Now she is in love with the new truck and wants to do all this stuff to it. Since our boat isnt big and the new boat wont be big either the 4x2 should not have any trouble.......
The dealer drove it off right infront of her as we were leaving, SHE WAS PISSED.......
That truck did look awesome though.....

Danhercules
12-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by HammerDown
If your real wheel start to slip...a little trick is to apply the emergency brake (just a few clicks). What this dose is stop the wheel thats slipping and sends traction to the other wheel. Try it it works.
This helps a lot. Also helps when backing in and the front tires lock up on a wet ramp.
My bro use to pull a 30' pontoon out of the water with 1/2 ton standard cab, short bed 2wd cheby, Had to jump in the bed for that one. Not jsut sit in the bed, but jump!! That was funny!!!!

MarkHB
12-20-2003, 07:04 PM
My Excursion is only 2WD and have no trouble pulling this out.
Mark
http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL196/1452905/2769743/33740132.jpg

Bow Tie Omega
12-21-2003, 06:21 AM
Well, in the odd chance that you do have problems, before going and spending thousands on a new truck, you could just go an get a locking differential (Posi). Most vehicles these days are limited slip, 4x4's included meaning they are not true 4 wheel drives. Most 2 wheel drives are not really 2 wheel drives either. Now, that said, their are exceptions, upgrades, etc . But, the majority are not true. If you go with a locking diff, that will make your 1 wheel drive 2.

Nubbs
12-23-2003, 09:14 AM
I tow my boat with a lowered half ton 2wd chevy pickup. I've had no problems launching/retrieving my boat. I've had my back wheels in mud, sand, slime, etc, and I've never had a problem. My pickup has a limited slip rear end and if I go slow, it just crawls right out. Granted, my boat isn't very heavy, 18' jet.