PDA

View Full Version : Ultra boats and Fried Chicken

Trailer Park Casanova
11-12-2003, 11:42 PM
My son and I were heading out to the desert to try out our new YFZ 450 Yamaha quads.
We stopped off at a roadisde KFC and parked next to a very nice silver truck towing a burgandy Ultra boat.
The ultra was covered and the truck had boatshow access stairs in the bed so it looked like it was returning from a show of some sort.
Ultra does it right. The truck looked excellent, raised,,, millions of shock absorbers,, and Ultra written in Ghost Flame lettering over the sides.
The Ultra boat had a matching Extreeme trailer,, the whole rig looked excellent. If ya saw it at the boat show,, you'd stop and check it all out,, maybe even come back for a second look, hey maybe even buy one.
We started eating our KFC chicken while checkin out the Ultra, when my son,, while looking out at the Ultra,,, mentioned to me that everyone that we know that ever bought an Ultra,, still owns it.
Through layoffs, divorce,, lean times,,, desire to buy something else,, everyone we know holds on to their Ultra.
Then the conversation turned back to the chicken we were eating.
My son asked why I have 4 free chicken dinner passes framed on the wall of the living room with classic amusement park tickets framed as well.
I told him how I got the chicken dinner passes.
I was on the grand jury in Orange County Calif with Marion Knott, the daughter of Walter Knott that founded Knotts Berry Farm Amusement park and famous chicken dinner restaurant in the "OC".
Marion and I got into a conversation and she was amazed about how much I knew about her dad Walter.
Me being in the refrigeration Biz,, once I was curious how the whole refrigeration biz started,, and how they did it in the old days. I hit some libraries and got some history:
The search brought up Walter Knott,, of Knotts Berry farm fame.
The Knotts were well off financially before the amusement park,, and even before Walter stumbeled onto the Boysenberry.
Her dad Walter, was a successful Orange County Farmer,, and through his fame as a farmer, he promoted refrigeration so he could move west coast produce East.
Through connections from this fame,, he got word of Mr Boysens abandoned but sucessfull development of the Boysenberry of which propelled the Knotts to national fame in the food biz when they brought the Boysenberry to market.
Anyway, back on the grand jury with Marion Knott, she gave me some free passes to the Famous Knotts Family Chicken dinner restaurant. The passes quote the dinner at $1.65. I Imagine a dinner there now is flirting with $20.
We were investigating the Lockheed Bribery Scandal while I was on the Grand Jury with her when she gave me the passes.
Lockheed was trying to re enter the commercial jetliner biz with it's excellent jumbo jet, the Tri Star. Lockheed ran up huge cost over runs,, so turned to greasing some palms to get sales moving.
That's against the Law in the US, and only against the law in Japan if it gets publicity.
From her experience on the grand jury with this trial,, Marion learned so much about corporate bookeeping and accounting,, that her families company went from using cigar boxes as cash registers, and the old longhand ledgers to keep the books, to a full blown modern computerized accounting system. On the strength of what she learned in the Lockheed scandal.
We finished our KFC meal, got out and checked out the Ultra and cool truck,, then headed out to the desert for some riding.

Dr. Eagle
11-12-2003, 11:58 PM
TPC,
I grew up in Anaheim and Los Alamitos. My Grandma used to come from Bellflower to Anaheim to pick me up (she watched me while mom worked). She would take me over to Knotts and we would sit and watch people, the train and sometimes would take the train around the park. That was wayyyyy back before they had an amusment park that they charged admission to. I have a great deal of admiration for their family and how they built that business into what it became.
Great story!

Infomaniac
11-13-2003, 06:55 AM
Is the berry farm place still there?
I remember going ther as a kid.
I did live in Westminster and on the base at El Toro about the 5th and 6th grades before going to Hawaii.

MagicMtnDan
11-13-2003, 07:00 AM
You have 4 free chicken dinner passes framed on the wall of your living room!
(and you never explained why)
OK, to recap the subjects, in order, hit on in your post:
* Yamaha quads
* Ultra boat
* Truck with "millions of shock absorbers"
* KFC chicken
* If you own an Ultra you keep it
* You have 4 free chicken dinner passes framed on the wall of your living room
* Grand jury in Orange County Calif with Marion Knott
* How the whole refrigeration biz started
* Boysenberry propelled the Knotts to national fame
* Free passes to the Famous Knott Family Chicken dinner restaurant
* Lockheed Bribery Scandal
* Full blown modern computerized accounting system
Yup, that's pretty much a genuine TPC post :confused:

haulina29
11-13-2003, 07:13 AM
I found it very interesting thanx , considering most topics of late IE poo poo etc. very informative imagine that the lazy L trying pulling fast one. :)

hot_diggity_dog
11-13-2003, 07:30 AM
Great story TPC
I lived in Buena Park from childhood through the early 80's.
I was going to Knotts Berry Farm when it used to be free.
My Knott's story is as follows:
As a local General Contractor in the area, we used to do a little work with Knott's.
I was there one morning around 7:00AM before the Chicken Dinner Restaurant opened for breakfast. I was walking the roof and above the ceiling with the construction manger (CM), to review some additional support we were adding for some new HVAC equipment. I was above the restaurant ceiling when I stepped on the cat walk platform, only problem it wasn't the platform but a piece of insulation.
BOOM there goes my leg through the ceiling, with my balance I didn't fall but was able to pull my leg back through the ceiling. One of those embarrassing deals.
Now the radio calls go out for emergency repairs needed in the Chicken Restaurant due to contractor falling through ceiling.
As I'm walking back with the (CM) we are passing maintenance guy's going to the seen, they were saying things like I heard the contractor broke his leg, I heard hell fell through and landed on the floor, etc. etc. etc.
One of Life's embarrassing moments I guess
HDD:cool:

6 Dollar Boat
11-13-2003, 07:39 AM
Impossible to post a reply, TOO MANY subjects to choose from.:confused:

hot_diggity_dog
11-13-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by 6 Dollar Boat
Impossible to post a reply, TOO MANY subjects to choose from.:confused:
Pick one don't be afraid.:p :p :p
HDD:cool:

rvrtoy
11-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Where do I begin to respond? How about....Oh never mind:p

Dave C
11-13-2003, 09:22 AM
another great story. I'm glad I had coffee before I read it.:D ;)

mbrown2
11-13-2003, 09:30 AM
My late Grandmother used to work in that Knott's Chicken restaurant in the early 70's....I remember taking a tour (could not have been older than 5), and she worked in the section where the Chickens were prepared......before being sent to the kitchen...kind of scared me to see all these freshly killed chickens on some sort of assembly line....All of my dads family were raised working on Chicken Farms in Mississippi..

Keithb87
11-13-2003, 09:30 AM
I read it, I got lost, I started over, I think you said the boat was on a Lifted Trailer?
Oh HELL I'm lost again. :(

ULTRA28
11-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the compliments TPC. That was us on the way back from SEMA with the truck, boat and motorhome. We stopped for some food and of course my wife had to go spend an hour at the oultet center across the street.

Dr. Eagle
11-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Could it be Adult ADD???
Naw it was an interesting tale with lots of disparate points...I had to read it a few times too... And I never woulda thought it'd end up where it did. Damn entertaining! Great Job TPC!
:D ;) :D

Ultra5150
11-13-2003, 11:40 AM
I am pretty sure the truck and boat you described both belong to John West, the owner of Ultra Custom Boats and a cool dude.
SORRY - I just noticed John replied above.

Chase
11-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Would that unit have been coming from SEMA???
Noticed I only picked one of the items to respond to........wholly shit what a post

eliminatedsprinter
11-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
Is the berry farm place still there?
I remember going ther as a kid.
I did live in Westminster and on the base at El Toro about the 5th and 6th grades before going to Hawaii.
Knotts is still there, but the old Japanese Bear and Deer Park is long gone. Oh the memories of the deer park...I was just telling my son how we would rub salt on our butts and........ :wink:

Trailer Park Casanova
11-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
You have 4 free chicken dinner passes framed on the wall of your living room!
(and you never explained why)
OK, to recap the subjects, in order, hit on in your post:
* Yamaha quads
* Ultra boat
* Truck with "millions of shock absorbers"
* KFC chicken
* If you own an Ultra you keep it
* You have 4 free chicken dinner passes framed on the wall of your living room
* Grand jury in Orange County Calif with Marion Knott
* How the whole refrigeration biz started
* Boysenberry propelled the Knotts to national fame
* Free passes to the Famous Knott Family Chicken dinner restaurant
* Lockheed Bribery Scandal
* Full blown modern computerized accounting system
Yup, that's pretty much a genuine TPC post :confused:
Dan:
1: My story clearly mentioned that Knotts Daughter gave me the passes. That was 30 years ago, and they are mementos now.
2: It clearly mentions the nice Ultra boat hooked up to a truck parked behind a KFC.
3: Clearly mentions my sons comments about Ultra Boats, and our positive experiences that our friends kept them through tough times.
4:The KFC Chicken and the Knotts Chicken dinner restaurant connection is clearly in the post, and my experiences with the Knotts, both on jury duty, and learning the her dad, the founder promoted refrigeration of food products here in the west. as several in the OC have chimed in in this thread too.
5: Put down the crack pipe and maybe the story will make sense.

Dr. Eagle
11-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Trailer Park Casanova
Dan:
1: My story clearly mentioned that Knotts Daughter gave me the passes. That was 30 years ago, and they are mementos now.
2: It clearly mentions the nice Ultra boat hooked up to a truck parked behind a KFC.
3: Clearly mentions my sons comments about Ultra Boats, and our positive experiences that our friends kept them through tough times.
4:The KFC Chicken and the Knotts Chicken dinner restaurant connection is clearly in the post, and my experiences with the Knotts, both on jury duty, and learning the her dad, the founder promoted refrigeration of food products here in the west. as several in the OC have chimed in in this thread too.
5: Put down the crack pipe and maybe the story will make sense.
TPC... I for one found the tale very enjoyable to read...!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Trailer Park Casanova
11-13-2003, 06:50 PM
Thanks Doc & RD & all,, I appreciate that.
I have a beer in one hand and a slice of Pizza in the other. So I have to type with one finger on the hand holding the pizza. I can't get it to 100% satisfaction for all.
Nice reading others Knotts stories as well.
That place brings many fond memories for us all.

bordsmnj
11-13-2003, 10:35 PM
i've grown up around knotts berry farm (Stanton)since i was born in westminster. used to dig the aligator farm across the street(la palma) from knotts when it wasn't a parking lot. i've worked for in house contractors at knotts(JDK elec. & Gautreux-sp?) long ago and on the chicken dinner resttruant remodel i few years ago. ultras are nice boats. big trucks with lots of shock absorbers are cool ghost flames even cooler. oh, i can barely remember the deer park and i used to like the smaler park with the duck pond jungle play groung and mini trian across the street too(beach blvd.) kfc is alright but nothing to post home about...........
:D

6 Dollar Boat
11-14-2003, 11:44 PM
Personally I enjoyed the workout jumping from one subject to the next. My family reserves one of the back rooms at the chicken restaurant each year during the holidays. It's a nice tradition.
TPC keep 'em coming.:confused: :D

bchbum
11-15-2003, 05:57 AM
Ultra28, how about posting some pictures of the tow rig & boat for us that couldn't make it to Vegas

HOSS
11-15-2003, 06:04 AM
Great read!

NorCal Gameshow
11-15-2003, 06:37 AM
our routine...go to disneyland, then hit the chicken dinner at knotts and cap it off with the rhubarb pie:) :)
i'm hungry:D :D :D