PDA

View Full Version : electric hatch cover

BANDIT
10-10-2001, 04:25 AM
my new boat has an elecrtic engine hatch cover on it (which i always thought was cool) but i was wondering if the jack goes out how do you get the hatch open???? does this happen very often???

Havasu Hangin'
10-10-2001, 06:58 AM
On mine, I had the upholstery guy build in access holes in the back seat, so I can just reach in & pull the pin, if necessary. Also, I moved my battery switch under my back seat, just in case I kill the battery.
Do you have external hinges? You can always pull the pins on the hinges, and slide the hatch backward enough to get your hand in and pull the pin.
Otherwise, I have heard guys just muscle em up & break em, or pull the screws out. There was a thread on OSO a few weeks back, where the guy had this very problem. If you perform a search, I bet it's still there.
http://www.websitemonster.com/images/pimp.gif

No Limits !
10-10-2001, 01:16 PM
Don't know what kind of boat you have, but I have a Wellcraft Excalibur with the electric hatch and Wellcraft folks told me when I asked that same question that all I have to do is grab hold and pull up. Guess what ???
I tried it and it worked fine, needed a little muscle, but nothing was broke.
Hope this helps!!

RiverDave2
10-10-2001, 01:51 PM
Bandit, electric hatch that is most popular is actually a worm gear driven mechanism. The only thing that could go bad in it would be the motor from possible corrosion or what not. (pretty unlikely situation) If you actually have water up on the motor then the least of your problems is how to open the hatch http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
A more likely situation is your batteries can go flat and if there located under the engine hatch then it can make an easy situation a total pain the a**. Easily rememdies as well, make some leads that run up and are secured under your back seat then you'll never have to deal with it. Or you can just go by a Nordic and they put the batteries and selector switch under the back seat.
Since I never say anything but good things about Hallett, I figure I will share one bad thing with you. For some reason they put the batteries as well as the selector switch under the engine hatch on some of there boats. This to me is completely retarded. They then give you a kind of either hole to reach your arm through and pull the pin or a actual crawl through (bigger boats) to under there and pull the pin. Why not just run a couple leads??? or relocate the batteries?? My friend has a Hallett 270 and I don't even want to get into what a pain in the A** it was to get his hatch open.. He described it as an easy procedure right up until we HAD TO DO IT.
RD

BANDIT
10-10-2001, 06:06 PM
thanks for everyones help.
HAVASU HANGIN - THE BOAT DOES HAVE EXTERNAL HINGES & I HAD THOUGHT ABOUT WHAT YOUR SAYING - I FIGURED WITH MY LUCK THE NUTS ON THE INSIDE WOULD SPIN WITH THE BOLTS - I GUESS I COULD PUT A DROP OF SUPERGLUE OR JB WELD AT THE EDGE OF THE NUT AND HULL
NO LIMITS - MY BUDDIES AND I HAD SPECULATED THAT YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAN HANDLE THE HATCH - THE BOAT IS A BAJA 223
DAVE - I HAVE THE REMOTE TERMINALS UNDER THE REAR SEAT IN CASE OF A DEAD BATTERY BUT LIKE THE BOAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT MY SWITCH AND BATTERIES ARE INSIDE THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.
AGAIN, THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT. I WANTED SOME IDEAS BEFORE I'M AT THE LAKE AND GET ALL PISSED OFF WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS TO THE HATCH JACK. WE ALL KNOW HOW MUCH FUN IT IS WHEN YOUR AT THE WATER AND SOMETHING F**KS-UP
WITH THE BOAT. AND IT ALWAYS HAPPENS WHEN YOU'VE GOT SOMEONE NEW TO BOATING WITH YOU (USUALLY THE FEMALE YOU'VE BEEN AFTER FOR 6 MONTHS) AND THE GUY YOU'VE BEEN WAITING TO BLOW OFF THE WATER IS BLASTING UP & DOWN THE WATER.

BANDIT
10-10-2001, 06:13 PM
HAVASU HANGIN - I WAS THINKING ABOUT YOUR POST. DO YOU HAVE A QUICK RELEASE PIN WHERE YOUR JACK & HATCH PLATE MEET???? MY BOAT HAS A BOLT. I LIKE THE QUICK RELEASE PIN IDEA. HAVE YOU EVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT WORKING OUT BECAUSE OF VIBERATIONS OR ROUGH WATER?

Havasu Hangin'
10-10-2001, 06:26 PM
No problems. It's a beefy pin, with a push button release. Looks like this:
http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/Pictures/302-07.JPG
When it's closed or open, there is pressure on the pin, and the release keeps it from coming out.
Here's the hinges I have:
http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/Pictures/149-01.jpg
Note the pins. I got both from Eddie Marine.
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

RiverDave2
10-10-2001, 07:39 PM
DAVE - I HAVE THE REMOTE TERMINALS UNDER THE REAR SEAT IN CASE OF A DEAD BATTERY BUT LIKE THE BOAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT MY SWITCH AND BATTERIES ARE INSIDE THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.
AGAIN, THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT. I WANTED SOME IDEAS BEFORE I'M AT THE LAKE AND GET ALL PISSED OFF WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS TO THE HATCH JACK. WE ALL KNOW HOW MUCH FUN IT IS WHEN YOUR AT THE WATER AND SOMETHING F**KS-UP
WITH THE BOAT. AND IT ALWAYS HAPPENS WHEN YOU'VE GOT SOMEONE NEW TO BOATING WITH YOU (USUALLY THE FEMALE YOU'VE BEEN AFTER FOR 6 MONTHS) AND THE GUY YOU'VE BEEN WAITING TO BLOW OFF THE WATER IS BLASTING UP & DOWN THE WATER.[/B]
How do you turn the batteries off when the boat is not in use? Do you just leave the engine hatch open?
I would move your selector switch first, and if you have the remote terminals then you have no worries. You can just hook up a battery charger to the terminals and raise the hatch if the batteries are dead.
Is your concern that the motor is going to fail on the lift??
RD

kab
10-11-2001, 06:17 AM
Riverdave, I know on my boat I can turn both battery selector switches off and still operate the engine hatch cover.

tahoe22
10-11-2001, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by kab:
Riverdave, I know on my boat I can turn both battery selector switches off and still operate the engine hatch cover.
Kab -Edumacte me. If you turn the battery switches off, how do you power the hatch motor?

BANDIT
10-11-2001, 08:19 AM
HAVASU HANGIN--THANKS FOR THE INFO I'LL ORDER AN EDDIE MARINE CATALOG TODAY THAT LOOKS LIKE WHAT I WANT. THANKS FOR THE HELP
DAVE--I HAVEN'T BEEN TURNING TO BATTERIES OFF. JUST MAKE SURE EVERYTHING ELSE IS TURNED OFF. IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I'M MISSING. I JUST WINTERIZED THE BOAT AND WHEN I PULLED THE BATTERIES I USED ONE OF THE PORTABLE POWERPACKS TO DROP THE HATCH. AND IF I NEED TO RELOCATE MY BATTERY SWITCH DOES EDDIE MARINE CARRY THEM?
THANKS FOR THE HELP...NOT VERY MANY ***boatS IN MY AREA...IF ITS NOT A BASS BOAT NOBODY CAN HELP HERE. THE BOAT IS A BAJA 223 (BANDIT) WITH A 502. DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE BOATS? IT'S THE ONLY ONE I'VE EVER SEEN IN PERSON..SEEN A FEW ON THE BOATTRADER ONLINE.

kab
10-11-2001, 11:38 AM
Tahoe22, The leads from the hatch motor bypass the battery selector switch. The only way to disable it is to remove both leads from the battery itself, or completely drain the batteries.

tahoe22
10-11-2001, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by kab:
Tahoe22, The leads from the hatch motor bypass the battery selector switch. The only way to disable it is to remove both leads from the battery itself, or completely drain the batteries.
I think if it were me (and beleive me you dont wanna be me) I would move the battery selector switch under the backseat & re-wire the hatch motor to the switch. Just in case your motor grounds out your batteries - No? Tell me if I'm wrong, but isnt having your battery on a constant hot lead a fire hazard especially connected to something under your hatch, or do you disconnect your cables everytime you put the boat away?
All you manufacturers can jump in at any time. Is KABS boat standard wiring?

kab
10-11-2001, 01:30 PM
This is my first boat with an electric hatch, but when I pick up the new one in two weeks I'll let you know if its wired the same way.

Havasu Hangin'
10-11-2001, 01:42 PM
Personally, I wouldn't wire my ram directly to a battery, for the reason tahoe22 outlined. However, an inline fuse would go a long way to preventing a fire.
Also, IMO, you want your hatch wired to your dual battery switch for another reason. If you kill that battery, how do you switch it to the other good battery?
Kab, your ram wiring was probably standard for someone who didn't mount the dual battery switch outside the engine compartment (like under the back seat).
On my boat, for security, I turn the batteries off, and lock the Perko switch. This way, nobody can get under the hatch, as the ram won't work. The only thing I have bypassing my Perko switch is my auto-bilge pump switch. Now I can leave it for extended periods with the batteries off, and let the pump come on in case it takes on water.
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif
[This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited October 12, 2001).]