PDA

View Full Version : Hot-linking will be blocked

***boat
11-16-2003, 01:37 PM
After a review of our data transfer from the last month around 15% of our total bandwidth is being taken up by people linking to images in the image center from other sites. This number is steadily growing, so within the next week we will be shutting down the ability to use an image from the image center anywhere but in the ***boat site.
This is just fair warning. I know a lot of people use avatars that are posted in the image center on both this site and others and they are not the problem, however to stop the people that are just posting an image in the image center as data storage we need to shut down all hot-linking.

MJ19
11-16-2003, 01:42 PM
***boat's image center doesn't always work correctly :(
Have those issues been fixed? :confused:
This is what I get when I try to upload a picture into ***boat's image center lately...and why it's saying something about a 'thumbnail' I have no idea, I was just trying to upload a regular image like I have done in the past (before all the changes)
Error creating thumbnail! Error code: 710 Command: D:\inetpub\imagemagick\mogrify.exe -format gif -quality 80 -geometry 40x100 D:/Inetpub/websites/***boat.com/image_center/data/500/333Avatar-thumb.gif
Are you stopping me from linking my avatar (which is currently at a different location) to ***boat AND ~ OR stopping me from linking my ***boat uploaded images to other sites?
:confused:

***boat
11-16-2003, 01:50 PM
What problems are you having with it? The most common problem I see with the image center and the forums are people with privacy settings too high in their web browser. About twice a day I get an email from someone that reads "I cant loggin" and it is almost always because they have their privacy setting too high.
Let me know what the problems you are having are and I will take a look.

Jbb
11-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Is the hot linking the issue that keeps knocking this site off line ....or did it happen while you were busy calculating the numbers...?..........:D

AZKC
11-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Sounds like hotboatpics.com is going to get busy:cool:
KC

sidewound
11-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ***boat
After a review of our data transfer from the last month around 15% of our total bandwidth is being taken up by people linking to images in the image center from other sites. This number is steadily growing, so within the next week we will be shutting down the ability to use an image from the image center anywhere but in the ***boat site.
This is just fair warning. I know a lot of people use avatars that are posted in the image center on both this site and others and they are not the problem, however to stop the people that are just posting an image in the image center as data storage we need to shut down all hot-linking.
That kinda blows! I was just starting to think I was link "SAVVY"!
Oh well. Start over I guess.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

Dusty Times
11-16-2003, 04:18 PM
I thought maybe it was all the pop-ups we are now getting off this sight.:rolleyes:

***boat
11-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Ok answering questions:
1. Your avatar in the ***boat forums can come from any location you want, including the image center.
2. If you are getting popups you probably have spy ware installed on your computer. We don't have any pop-up on ***boat. Run a search on google for spybot search and destroy, install it and run it. Also to eliminate future popup's, get a good virus checker like McAfee's 2004 that kills spyware as well.
3. Yes ***boatpic might get kind of busy. Possibly too busy, we do about 600gb a month in transfer, and 90gb a month of extra traffic is not cheap.

NashvilleBound
11-16-2003, 08:19 PM
would you like a little cheese with that WHINE???? :yuk: Its your site...either run it right (working) or get off the pot so someone can....sheeesh.

Dr. Eagle
11-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Sooooooo........
Are you Administratin'
OR Commiseratin'????????

superdave013
11-16-2003, 09:33 PM
I'm guilty and I admit it.
Thanks for the heads up as I'll have to find another host.

superdave013
11-16-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound
would you like a little cheese with that WHINE???? :yuk: Its your site...either run it right (working) or get off the pot so someone can....sheeesh.
Hey now, he does not have to get off any pot for you to start your own site and run it how ever you want.
And if you do may I please "hot link" for free?

mbrown2
11-16-2003, 10:12 PM
must be the shoes...gotta be the shoes:D

***boat
11-16-2003, 10:57 PM
Is it that time of the month or something? Relax a little.

Kilrtoy
11-17-2003, 01:20 AM
I guess my avatar wont work anymore, Need help with a new one

GlastronGuy
11-19-2003, 08:42 PM
When is this going into effect?

Tom Brown
11-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Kilr, your avatar will continue to work just the way it is. He's not going to do anything that will affect that.
Why does turning off hot linking bother people? It will improve the responsiveness of this site. Linking to other sites from here will continue to work perfectly.

Dr. Eagle
11-19-2003, 09:30 PM
It doesn't bother me, it is taking up bandwidth on the network, shut it off!!!!!!!!

***boat
11-19-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
When is this going into effect?
Looks like it will be the 27th of this month, and no ones avatar here will cease to work because of this.
To go over it one more time with a diagram. In this example we will use a site named test.com.
Situation:
1. An image is posted in on ***boat.com in the image center. Someone on test.com decides they want to use it but instead of copying it to their site they write in a bit of HTML code that just serves the picture from ***boat.com and saves them the bandwidth while causing ***boat.com to run slower. *THIS WILL BE BLOCKED**
2. You upload an image to the image center and then use it as an avatar on ***boat.com *THIS WILL NOT BE BLOCKED**
3. You upload an image to the image center and then use it on test.com's forums *THIS WILL BE BLOCKED**

Tom Brown
11-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Is this change going to cause me to receive more email viruses?

***boat
11-19-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
No, but there is some discussion that it might throw the earth off of its axis. More on that later.

Froggystyle
11-19-2003, 11:30 PM
No, but there is some discussion that it might throw the earth off of its axis. More on that later.
Shit...
I knew something like that would come of this eventually.

Rexone
11-19-2003, 11:36 PM
I'm already seeing signs of instability in the vdrive and bench racers forums. I'm sure it's related to this change somehow.

Hotcrusader76
11-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Is there a disturbance in the force Wes?:rolleyes:

Wet Dream
11-20-2003, 05:33 AM
***boat provides this site for us, free of charge and you come up with a comment like that?!?! What if HB decides to get out of it completely? Then what? Don't **** it up.:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
11-20-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
Is there a disturbance in the force Wes?:rolleyes:
Hmmmm................yes a disturbance in the force.......yes I have felt it...........

Tom Brown
11-20-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
I'm already seeing signs of instability in the vdrive and bench racers forums. I'm sure it's related to this change somehow.
With this change impending, you may need more left peddle.

Essex502
11-20-2003, 06:33 AM
HB - Thanks for the heads up. Better to let us know ahead of time than to terminate the function and let us find out the hard way.

likwidsukr
11-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Looks like it will be the 27th of this month, and no ones avatar here will cease to work because of this.
To go over it one more time with a diagram. In this example we will use a site named test.com.
Situation:
1. An image is posted in on ***boat.com in the image center. Someone on test.com decides they want to use it but instead of copying it to their site they write in a bit of HTML code that just serves the picture from ***boat.com and saves them the bandwidth while causing ***boat.com to run slower. *THIS WILL BE BLOCKED**
2. You upload an image to the image center and then use it as an avatar on ***boat.com *THIS WILL NOT BE BLOCKED**
3. You upload an image to the image center and then use it on test.com's forums *THIS WILL BE BLOCKED**
It is in effect as of now:confused: :eek: :cool:

Screaming Pete
11-20-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Tom not sure about theemail thing but as for the Viruses you need to use proper protection:eek: