PDA

View Full Version : Engineering help?

HOSS
11-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Any engineers in here? I wanted to get plans for my deck/over deck. I am building a deck but also an upper deck and will be putting jacuzzi on it. Please email me. Or post here. Thanks.

sorry dog
11-16-2003, 06:38 PM
You could do wood but the loadings and jucuzzi size/placement would be important to determine wood size, spans, and joint types. Also, your soil type/density will determine footing size.
If you want a stamped drawing, then that might cost you a buck or two. I'm assuming your not gonna tell the building dept but having a stamped drawing isn't a bad idea if you want to cover your ass (or tuck in your case) liability wise.
There is a Auburn engineer at work that would do it for a nominal fee, but I wouldn't wish him on anybody I didn't want to torture.

HOSS
11-16-2003, 07:00 PM
check with him. I can get any info he needs. Soil density? That I can`t do. How? Ask him what he needs. Thanks.

victorfb
11-16-2003, 07:52 PM
ive done a deck with a jacuzi over the living room in palos verdes. ill have to look to see if i still have the plans. useing glue lams lets you go with a smaller size beam. how big is the hot tub you want to install? do you know the static weight of it full?

HOSS
11-17-2003, 01:55 PM
no but will find out. It holds 4 comfortably. I need to get deminsions and gallons.

HOSS
11-18-2003, 06:00 AM
Bouncing back up. Will have info today.

sorry dog
11-18-2003, 06:22 AM
Soil density?
You in NO right?
Are you in a swamp?
It rains a lot here too and we've had to repair a few highly loaded decks that had the footings sink a few inches. If the ground where the footings go is moist, mushy, or has organic material in it then I would err to making the bigger.