PDA

View Full Version : Asking for prayers/thoughts for my mother...

dmontzsta
11-16-2003, 09:26 PM
As some of you know, she hurt her back at Wal Mart a while back. Well, after months of arguing in court with them, the judge approved her surgery a while ago. It is a crazy surgery. The are going in from the back first and have to fix the discs in her spinal cord with some artificial stuff, but first they disconnect all of the nerves (which will force her to learn to walk again). Then after they are done with the back, they go in through the front and remove the organs and put a "cage" around the front of the spine for support, total time 4-7 hours.
I have been pretty scared and dont know how to take it. I know she is, it has been so weird to me I dont know what to do, I havent spent much time with her cause I dont know how, I am very confused right now. Just thinking that there is that percentage of error really scares the crap out of me. I have lost too many people lately.
So I just ask that each and every one of you keep her in your thoughts and prayers for a brief moment. She goes in tommorrow at 11am and they estimate they should be done by 9pm, I will keep you guys posted.
Those Wal Mart bastards must pay for this...:(

fourspeednup
11-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Have faith in the ability of the surgeons, all will be well and good. :cool:

73kona455
11-16-2003, 09:43 PM
she will be in our prayers.. hang in there ..

Itsahobby
11-16-2003, 09:45 PM
My prayers are with you. I've been in your place and know how
scary it can be.
Jerry

11-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Don, Your mom will be in my thoughts tomorrow. I wish her well.

Kilrtoy
11-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Hope every thing is well
keep up good thoughts she will be ok

phebus
11-16-2003, 10:02 PM
I had back surgery last year, and believe me, the quality of her life after the surgery will be so much better. Recovery and rehab. is a long road, but I'm sure she has been miserable, and think how much beter her life will be. Have faith, she will be in my thoughts and prayers. I lost my mom earlier this year, so find a way to be with her, and cherish each and every moment.

460 jus getn it
11-16-2003, 10:32 PM
i know what your going through. Found out a couple of weeks ago that my mom has cancer. Its tough delling with things like this, just keep your head up and keep the faith.............

LASERRAY
11-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Sounds scary. But it also sounds like she's in good hands. She'll be fine. Good luck and God Bless.

Cas
11-16-2003, 11:50 PM
Your Mom will be in my thoughts to wish her well throughout this ordeal and for a speedy recovery.

Rexone
11-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Hang in there dmontzsta. These are the parts of life that are scary. My thoughts will be with your mom tomorrow. :)

drbones
11-17-2003, 09:03 AM
I will include your mom in my prayers...
My mom had back surgery about 6 months ago..
The recovery time is long but well worth it...she can walk now with out a walker :D and has been doing stuff she has not done in 5 years...
I wish you and her the best of luck...make time to spend time with her..she is the only mom you will ever have and the more memorys you have the better

Blown 472
11-17-2003, 09:06 AM
I hope it goes well, she will be in my thoughts.:)

Her454
11-17-2003, 09:23 AM
My thoughts and prayers will be with both of you. Talk to her , Im sure she needs it.

JetBoatRich
11-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Sounds very serious and our thoughts are with her, keep us informed of her progress, which I hope is a quick recovery.

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-17-2003, 11:26 AM
your mom and your family are in our thoughts and prayers and will be for along time.. i hope all goes well and she makes a speady recovery.. she will be fine.. talk to her she will need the support through all of it.. if you can't talk to her just be with her that is just as good.. words don't have to be said to one another just the presence of being there will let her know that you care.. God bless all of you in this trying time.. all prayers will be answered.. :)

THOR
11-17-2003, 11:30 AM
She is in my thoughts. Good luck

jackpunx
11-17-2003, 12:25 PM
Call me if your your up to it.. I went through something like this.. You have my number.. and We are all thinking about your mom and your self.
Mark

Mr.Havasu
11-17-2003, 03:28 PM
dmontzsta,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom. I know sometimes it's ackward to be around someone who is going through a life changing event.
Quote "I have been pretty scared and dont know how to take it. I know she is, it has been so weird to me I dont know what to do, I havent spent much time with her cause I dont know how, I am very confused right now. Just thinking that there is that percentage of error really scares the crap out of me. I have lost too many people lately.: end Quote
I have been living with breast cancer for 17 years now and had a second occurence a few months back. My daughter flew in from New York to be with me even though I told her not to (Shes a student on a limited income right now) Well she came anyway. I can tell you, as the one facing a life treatening event, I don't need my family to say anything. I know it's ackward sometimes, But when I'm feeling scared all I really need is a strong hug and a "I love you" to get me through it. I find myself wanting to be strong for my family and friends. Without their support I wouldn't have the drive it takes to overcome this. But I'm determined not to let it get to me.
All your mom needs is for you to be there. She doesn't need answers from you, that's what the doctors are for. You don't have to keep her occupied with witty conversation, just be there when she needs a hug. You will be surprised at how strong she will want to be for you. Don't miss this opportunity to bond with your mother, it is priceless.
Keep us posted.

gigamurph
11-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Well; I'm late comin' into this thread. Sincerely hope that all went well and she has a short and rut free road to recovery!

dmontzsta
11-17-2003, 11:26 PM
UPDATE:
I just got back from the hospital she finished surgery at around 9pm and the doctor said it went perfect. She is on morfine and out of it, but recognized me and I got to talk to her a little bit and also got her to move her legs, I think she will be just fine, thanks for the support. It is like some weight was taken off my shoulders.
PS: Thanks to the girls who gave me a little insight on the women, I am not much of a talker in situations like this, but you made me believe that just being there is good enough.

Kilrtoy
11-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Glad to here that:D

LASERRAY
11-17-2003, 11:32 PM
That's great news. I wish her a speedy recovery. And the best of luck to both of you.:) Will she be home in time for Thanksgiving? I Hope so.

dmontzsta
11-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
That's great news. I wish her a speedy recovery. And the best of luck to both of you.:) Will she be home in time for Thanksgiving? I Hope so.
no :( 4 months in rehab, they said depending on how well she can walk by then, she might be able to get a day pass.

fourspeednup
11-17-2003, 11:38 PM
got her to move her legs, I think she will be just fine, thanks for the support. It is like some weight was taken off my shoulders.
That is a very good sign!
I know how good it feels to have that weight off your shoulders. My father underwent surgery last week to remove a tumor on his kidney and the last 3 months have been hell. When one person is ill, it affects the whole family.
I wish her and the family a speedy recovery

LASERRAY
11-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Sorry to hear that but i'm glad the surge was a success. Happy Holidays to you and your family in this difficult time and God Bless.

gigamurph
11-17-2003, 11:53 PM
That's great news! Glad the surgery was a success and she's already on her road to recovery! Excellent early Christmas present! :)

Kurtis500
11-18-2003, 06:37 AM
I'll say a pryer for her recovery.

dmontzsta
11-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Well, I cannot express how much I appreciate all of your prayers.
I talked to my mother earlier today and she actually walked on a walker.
THIS JUST IN: She just spoke with her doctor at 9:30pm tonight and instead of going to rehab on Thursday she is coming home, he is VERY shocked how well she is doing. He is actually the president of the Calilfornia Spinal Association and is the doctor of the wrestler The Rock. He said not even The Rock was doing this good. I think the prayers really paid off.
Thanks again, you guys are awesome, and I am sure you SoCal guys will be seeing our family out on the water ways this coming summer and hopefully my mother and father will have their cruiser by then (if my dad gets his way a 21' daycruiser with BBC).
Thanks a million.

JetBoatRich
11-18-2003, 10:02 PM
That is great news, Congratulations to you Mom. I hope she continues to a quick recovery

LASERRAY
11-18-2003, 10:02 PM
Great. Have a nice Thankgiving with mom. Glad to hear she's going home.

CEO
11-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Prayers from our family, and I'm sure the whole site and all the folks who hang at Hot Boat :)