PDA

View Full Version : Look what I got in my e-mail today

78Southwind
03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
I am sure these guys fooled a lot of people with this web site. Anyone else get this fraudulent e-mail?
Dear Chase account holder,
We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Chase Internet Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account and of the Chase Bank network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.
To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure that your account has not been compromised:
1. Login to your Chase Internet Banking account. In case you are not enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to use your Social Security Number as both your Personal ID and Password.
2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized withdrawals or deposits, and check your account profile to make sure not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account, report this to Chase staff immediately.
Click here to activate your account (http://144.131.128.26/chase.html)
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire Chase system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
Sincerely,
The Chase Bank Team
Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your Chase Bank account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.
© 2006 JPMorgan Chase & Co.security manager

Ziggy
03-23-2006, 05:34 PM
on a regular basis I get those...often times from banks I don't even do biz with or bank with or even E-Bay...
The caveat:
Don't ever respond to them....if in doubt call the CS number on your Mailed statements.

Boatcop
03-23-2006, 06:44 PM
This is a dead giveaway:
We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Chase Internet Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party.
Followed by this:
In case you are not enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to use your Social Security Number as both your Personal ID and Password.
WTF. How can anyone actually fall for this crap.

mickeyfinn
03-23-2006, 08:06 PM
NEVER access an account from an e-mail link and you don't have this problem

JetBoatRich
03-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Glad they came up with the delete button :220v:

cxr133
03-23-2006, 08:45 PM
now for some hazing:
Make all your passwords PENIS..........
if its long enough

572Daytona
03-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Another dead giveaway on those emails is the url for the hyperlink. If you hover your mouse over it and look at the bottom left of your screen or right click and select properties you can see that it is this:
http://144.131.128.26/chase.html
Anything from chase would start with www.chase.com (or whatever chase's website is). That 144.131.128.26 URL actually resolves to an ISP over in Australia.
It's called phishing and I get them all the time for ebay, paypal, etc

Blacksheep
03-24-2006, 02:23 AM
I am sure these guys fooled a lot of people with this web site. Anyone else get this fraudulent e-mail?
Dear Chase account holder,
We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Chase Internet Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account and of the Chase Bank network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.
To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure that your account has not been compromised:
1. Login to your Chase Internet Banking account. In case you are not enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to use your Social Security Number as both your Personal ID and Password.
2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized withdrawals or deposits, and check your account profile to make sure not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account, report this to Chase staff immediately.
Click here to activate your account (http://144.131.128.26/chase.html)
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire Chase system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
Sincerely,
The Chase Bank Team
Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your Chase Bank account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.
© 2006 JPMorgan Chase & Co.security manager
I got that same exact email Thurs too!! :220v:

78Southwind
03-24-2006, 10:32 AM
What is strange is that Chase knows about the e-mail so why is the web site still up?

572Daytona
03-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Because it's in a foreign country where our laws don't apply, and even if they did have laws in place, you would need to follow whatever legal process that country has in order to shut it down. By the time you did that the scammers will have gotten what they need and moved on. Most of the time the actual owners of the websites aren't even aware of this, hackers have broken into it and added their own web pages. One I looked at the other day was being hosted by a Nursery school in China, I somehow doubt that they were in on the scam.

Jbb
03-24-2006, 10:45 AM
I got it too...lol...and I dont bank with Chase....
For ebay and paypal,however...they have addresses you can fwd it to where they supposedly follow up...