PDA

View Full Version : K&N or Computer

RiskyinElsinore
02-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Ok how many of you think that the K&N Filter think that it leans down the Merc engines that have a computer fuel manage system. Or the computer leans it self down after so many hours of run time?I am asking this question because I own a 496ho and have run it for about 5 hrs now and has been fouling the transom badly.I have so far the answers for this problems are the K&N filter fix , a special wax for the transom or the computor will lean it self down after 10 to 25 hrs of run time. Does anyone here realy know? :confused:
[ February 26, 2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: RiskyinElsinore ]

fixit1002
02-26-2003, 10:13 PM
well i just thought i would give my 2 cents i am a long time smog tech and mech I know auto much better than marine and i specialize in computer control so the air filter will help but i realy dont think it should be running that rich to start with does this application use any type of oxy sensor and if not it should have some typ of co controlers in automotive anything over 1 percent co is rich and if your getting black soot on the transem it sounds as if your running well over 6 percent co if it were me i would try and fig out a way to dry stack it and run a co meter on the ex sample because you may end up washing down the cylders well anyway like i say i deal in automotive and my boat is still carbed thank god fixit

jsmagnum
02-27-2003, 04:07 PM
I have a 496 ho in my nordic and it is a common problem. If it does not clear after 20 hrs. contact your merc dealer and have him check the programming.

River Ric
03-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Hey Guys,
I have a 496 Mag. 375 HP. in my 23' Razor. I have added the K&N filter as well as changed the CPU on the computor. I still have the problem and I have 47 hrs. on my boat and it is over 1 year old. I did talk to one of the Merc Techs at the L.A. Boat show and E-maied him some more info. I haven't heard back yet, but I am optimistic. I love the motor. It runs strong. GPS'd at 69.3 mph. I am happy except for the BTP (Black Transom Plague)as I have heard it called. Keep in touch. Maybe one of us will luck out.

TCHB
03-13-2003, 07:49 PM
I talked to REX marine at the boat show and he said the new air cleaner would not lean the boat out.