PDA

View Full Version : any smog tips for car to pass smog check?

ryantparks
11-26-2003, 11:18 PM
94 Mitsubishi Diamante wont pass smog check its a DOHC v6 w/177k miles. It passed the 1st test but failed the 2nd but only by a couple of points ( I dont have the printout w/me).
I have some 110 octane fuel from 76, can this make it burn cleaner added with the gas already in the tank?
I hear to let it get really hot right before the test.
Its my moms car so Im not too familar with it. Thanks
I also changed the spark plugs just for the hell of it

Kilrtoy
11-26-2003, 11:25 PM
SELL THE CAR,
it would be easier

TheLurker
11-26-2003, 11:27 PM
1. Change the oil
2. Put in new plugs. (Done)
2. Make sure the engine is warmed up prior to starting the test.
3. Increasing oxygen to engine by takeing out the air filter.

Kilrtoy
11-26-2003, 11:29 PM
That works on cars from the 60's

TheLurker
11-26-2003, 11:31 PM
Worked for me on a 1984 Toyota 4 Runner

Flying Tiger
11-27-2003, 05:11 AM
It's usually the cat converter.
If you decide to change it, call around to different muffler shops and get quotes you can hold them too.
Also, remove the O2 sensor and clean it with carb cleaner and replace it, plus new plugs ect. Very simple task.
Works on my 400,000 mile Toyota truck.

Elk Chaser
11-27-2003, 05:17 AM
move to Idaho

mickeyfinn
11-27-2003, 05:26 AM
Run it almost out of gas. Add a gallon of coleman fuel. Take the test, drive SLOWLY to the closest gas station and fill up. Remember the slowly part or you will burn a valve.

Jungle Boy
11-27-2003, 05:44 AM
Drink lots of water and cranberry juice before you have to supply a sample. Refrane from fatty foods for a week before the test.... No, never mind,,,wrong test.

Craig
11-27-2003, 06:17 AM
Don't know if it works all that well with computer cars, but when my 83 Mustang GT was having issues with the tests, we removed the air filter, popped a few vacuum lines that you couldn't see (or hear) and retarded the timing. It worked.
On a more deseperate note, years ago a friends F-100 had a dogged out 302 that was flunking big time. I don't remember what particular paramenter it was but the pass point was like 500 somethings. His truck was 5000 :eek: We stopped just short of the test station with a near empty tank, dumped in 5 gallons of alcohol we got at a race shop and went for it :) Still flunked but got it down to something like 800 :D So close. We pulled the 302 and put a 460 in it! 6 months later it was stolen and stripped, figures:mad:

Keithb87
11-27-2003, 07:21 AM
Denatured Alchol about 1/2 gallon to about 5 gallons of gas. :D
New sparks, Air filter, Oil Change, and my favorite :D :D
Tahk her out on the Highway and runn her around in 1st and second gear for about 10 miles. Not at red line, but really giving her HELL. (If you can getaway with it run her around 100 to 120 mph) :D :D :D
I've been told that this helps to clean out the Catalytic Converter.
:wink: Try it .... you might like it ;)

Kindsvater Flat
11-27-2003, 07:28 AM
majority of the cars will pass high speed emission testing, above 2500 rpm. Those that don't pass the idle test are slightly over. Most common that if the oil is clean, you can raise the idle and it will pass. Problem is that living in SoCal compared to NorCal is that the emission testing is more involved, stricter. Up here its pretty simple and if you live in the right area you still don't have to have it smogged.
BTW I have a pickup that has the converters gutted out and it passed clean every 2 years!

ryantparks
11-27-2003, 07:41 AM
I actually had my cousin who owns a muffler shop put one a new cat then had it rechecked and the car had higher #s so I had him put the old 1 back on. Why this happened I have no idea also the car has 2 pre cats that I didnt change.

ryantparks
11-27-2003, 08:25 AM
I actually had my cousin who owns a muffler shop put one a new cat then had it rechecked and the car had higher #s so I had him put the old 1 back on. Why this happened I have no idea also the car has 2 pre cats that I didnt change.

Dribble
11-27-2003, 08:39 AM
If your CO2 readings are high (15%) and your O2 is low (0 - .05) then your converter is probably OK. You didn't say if it was NOX, CO or HC.
NOX is caused by high peak combustion chamber temperatures. Make sure the EGR is functional. The passage could be plugged. The engine cooling fan is working. Don't use over 91 Octane because it slows the burn too much. A lean conditon can also cause high NOX. The fuel pressure regulator, injectors, O2 sensors, even a slightly plugged fuel filter can cause this. If the vehicle has high miles you might have excessive carbon buildup on the pistons. Blowby also can cause high NOX
CO and HC failures are easier to diagnose. High CO or high CO and HC is the car running too rich. Something as simple as a vacuum leak to the MAP sensor or a bad Throttle Positon Sensor can cause this
High HC is unburned fuel. Misfire, low compression, vacuum leak, lean misfire, can all cause high HC.
If this is a Test Only vehicle it automatically qualifies for repair assitance. Otherwise, you can get a repair waiver after spending $450.00 at a licensed station.
If it's not a Test Only vehicle and your mom meets certain income requirements she can also get repair assistance.
www.smogcheck.ca.gov

likwidsukr
11-27-2003, 08:47 AM
We just started smog test here. Alabama does not even have an inspection test at all. My G-mother lives there!!!

Dribble
11-27-2003, 12:35 PM
[
Tahk her out on the Highway and runn her around in 1st and second gear for about 10 miles. Not at red line, but really giving her HELL. (If you can getaway with it run her around 100 to 120 mph) :D :D :D
:wink: Try it .... you might like it ;) [/B][/QUOTE]
That's actually pretty good advice.

Keithb87
11-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Keithb87
Denatured Alchol about 1/2 gallon to about 5 gallons of gas. :D
New sparks, Air filter, Oil Change, and my favorite :D :D
:wink: Try it .... you might like it ;)
Man My spelling really sucked on that one.
But I have done this a few times. It heats up the Cat, and helps to burn off alot of the carbon around the valves.
Unless there is major carboration issues, this helps. That year of car should be fuel injected anyway. :D :D

Kilrtoy
11-27-2003, 01:38 PM
All to much trouble,
CALL FATHER JOE and donate it........

Dr. Eagle
11-27-2003, 05:16 PM
Bet replacing the Cat would do the job...they do eventually wear out/corrode/ablate. Probably cost you 180 bucks or so.

DUCKY
11-29-2003, 07:33 PM
I know the alcohol trick works. Their sensors don't pick up many of the things that alky brings to the picture. Problem is, I don't know if the fuel injection will let you get away with enough methanol to make a difference.

sorry dog
11-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Alabama does not even have an inspection test at all
That would really cramp billy Joe's style testing his 78 GMC with open headers.
Come to think of it, it would cramp my style too.
Alky does burn cleaner but too much concentration will **** up your fuel system.

buck183
11-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Elk Chaser
move to Idaho
LOL...I was going to recommend moving out here. But any state that's not as regulated as that state would do. :D
Buck

v-drive
11-30-2003, 07:08 AM
Find someone to pay off it never fails...V-drive:cool:

1Bahnerjet
11-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by v-drive
Find someone to pay off it never fails...V-drive:cool:
Yeah, Thats How my '76 Ranchero Passed. Problem is the Guy I was taking it to got Shut Down. Its hard to tell a '76 from a '73 so right now I'm looking for '73 I.D. plates :rolleyes:

MikeF
11-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Dribble's replies were the best:D . Since you did not post what the vehicles #s were, there is no way to give a good idea of where to start.
It is probably a Nox problem. Too much carbon buildup in a EGR type supply passage.

malcolm
11-30-2003, 10:37 AM
My sister had a Datsun 260Z that would never pass. We finally disconnected the PCV valve and air cleaner hose that went to the valve cover and it passed with flying colors. It was way high on CO if I remember right.
I also heard that they can sense large amounts of alcohol so be careful.

Dribble
11-30-2003, 05:37 PM
B]Problem is the Guy I was taking it to got Shut Down. [/B]
Gee sorry aboout that. I might be the guy who shut him down

MikeF
11-30-2003, 08:24 PM
Gee sorry aboout that. I might be the guy who shut him down
I might have to talk w/ you some day about getting a position w/ BAR!;) :D

Dr. Eagle
11-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Dribble
B]Problem is the Guy I was taking it to got Shut Down.
Gee sorry aboout that. I might be the guy who shut him down [/B]
There have been lots of shall we say less than honest smog test stations that have gotten shut down in the past. Some right in the Sacramento area. It seems that the new computer system has mostly eliminated any cheating...right???

v-drive
12-01-2003, 05:07 AM
And after that comment do you believe anyone will say anymore d.e. .........v-drive:D :cool:

Dribble
12-01-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
There have been lots of shall we say less than honest smog test stations that have gotten shut down in the past. Some right in the Sacramento area. It seems that the new computer system has mostly eliminated any cheating...right???
There are always ways to cheat. The more sophisticated the program gets the more sophisticated the cheaters get. And the more sophisticated we get. We still catch people "clean piping". The statewide fail rate is right at about 14%. I have seen people pay several hundred dollars for an illegal cert for a vehicle that could have been fixed cheaply or the repairs paid by the state.
When smog tests don't measure tailpipe emissions anymore and just plug into the OBD system, most cheating will probably be eliminated.
The good news for me is that I don't work smog enforcement anymore. I'm back to Auto Repair investigations.

Dribble
12-01-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by MikeF
I might have to talk w/ you some day about getting a position w/ BAR!;) :D
One of the guys in our office came from Irvine Toyota. There won't be any hiring until the budget mess gets fixed but there will be alot of retirements in the next few years

BUSTI
12-01-2003, 11:30 AM
THE EASIEST WAY TO HANDLE THIS PROBLEM IS TO AVOID IT!
My son and I have several older cars that we have refurbished, 454 SS Black Chevy pick up for one, and to get the tags every year we do this......We go to the DMV and sign a waivier that the truck is currently used in Arizona while my son is away at college. Obviously I am not going to bring it back to CA just for a smog test, so the DMV makes me sign a waivier and aurhorizes me to register the car provided I show insurance ect. It does not prevent my son from coming home from xmas and operating the vehicle in CA it just waives the smag requirement one year at a time.
He actually got a ticket with this truck after we did this and no problem the next year I went to the Auto club with my renewal and registered the truck and signed another waivier claiming the truck was still in AZ.
IT WASN'T IT WAS IN CALIFORNIA THE WHOLE TIME!
YOU MUST SAY AZ THOUGH FOR SOME REASON THEY WON'T EXCEPT NV AS A TEMPORARY LOCATION OF OPERATION.
We have done it with our motorhome as well for 5 straight years telling the DMV the coach is used exclusively in Parker Az and the DMV just waives the smog requiremint every time. Right now my motor home is at my storage in Glamis and wont return to the Parker Strip tell Easter!
This tip was afforded me by a DMV employee at the Westminster DMV who is a friend of mine.
Try it it works. I always go to the Auto Club for my registration needs.

Cas
12-01-2003, 12:41 PM
ryan,
If you haven't done anything yet, try this, it worked for me in a 1984 Bronco.
Run the tank down so there's only a couple of gallons in the tank. Pour in "Heat", it's a gas line anti-freeze and water remover. It'll drop your readings quite a bit.
I was told to use it by a technician of a large ignition component manufacturer that we are all familiar with. As stated above, it worked great and it only cost about $3.00. It also works real well for what it's designed to do.