PDA

View Full Version : Portable A/C for boat, what do you think of this one?

Magic34
03-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Ice Flow (http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__SI357WHT)
Just saw this in the latest mailer from Sharper Image and thought that it may be worth a shot.
I like that you put water in it once and it reuses that water time and time again. Also if the ice does melt, I can push a button and recharge it off the invertor.
Any thoughts? This it will work OK? Not looking to get it down to 75 in the cabin, just trying to get some cool air on the kid when she is down there.

JB in so cal
03-24-2006, 08:34 AM
I gotta think that getting temps in the cabin from 120+ down to something more comfortable would probable take 3 or 4 of those.

riverracerx
03-24-2006, 08:35 AM
I think they have a good return policy if it doesn't. Try it out and tell us!!

HTRDLNCN
03-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Sounds too good to be true but at that price doesnt seem like you can lose much. Id be cautious about putting a cold source on her in an otherwise hot cabin. Doesnt sound that healthy.. I bought one of the hatch drop in ac units . Got on ebay for a steal ($150) couple of diesel batteries and a 3000w inverter will keep it running 4-6 hours at full tilt,longer if you put it on low and keep temps reasonable.. That WILL cool down a pretty big cabin but you will be carrying around couple extra hundred pounds of dead weight. Might not be a big deal if your family cruising though.
heres one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CRUISAIR-CARRY-ON-MARINE-AIR-CONDITIONER-A-C_W0QQitemZ4623523319QQcategoryZ26449QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

Jordy
03-24-2006, 08:40 AM
I've got one of those in my cabin and in mid-summer if you walk in there it will take your breath away. Almost need a jacket. ;) :D

KACHINA KEN
03-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Why don't you just let me install a 9k btu Webasto system for you, I'm a dealer now, DUH! :p
Oh and it has a remote too, and heat. And did I mention no holes to be drilled in your boat?

ParkerRat
03-24-2006, 09:06 AM
I've got one of those in my cabin and in mid-summer if you walk in there it will take your breath away. Almost need a jacket. ;) :D
You have one of the "Ice Flow" units or the "Hatch drop in units"? $129 sounds pretty dang good for a cool cabin at the sandbar!

Panic Button
03-24-2006, 04:58 PM
From another site talking about the amunt of air cooled... Buy a unit on ebay from $200-$600 depending if you want drop in hatch or built in and a $600 generator, you be set.
"While one can seriously question whether the design would ever allow it to absorb heat at claimed rate, let's assume that it does. You will remember from your grade school science class that it takes 144 BTUs of heat to melt one pound of ice. Given this fact, you can see that you would have to melt 45 lbs of ice per hour to actually accomplish 6,500 Btu/hr of air conditioning. Assuming that 10% of the ice is going to melt by the time you get it to the boat, you need to buy and carry 50 lbs of ice for every hour you wish to air condition. Not exactly a practical solution."

AZKC
03-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Folks he'll be here all week :) try the veal :rollside: