PDA

View Full Version : Need answers to dumb questions

BigWaveDave
06-05-2002, 11:44 AM
My girlfriend and I have owned a 24' Nordic Venture for about 6 months. I have a persistent drip on my feet while under way. I've pulled off the knee bolster and crawled around on my back looking for the source of the water. I cannot find any water discoloration and guess it is the speedo pitot tubing. Is there any way to test this? Also, what the hell is "dead rise at the transom" and what does it do?

XTRM22
06-05-2002, 05:38 PM
I used to call that drip evap cooling in my galaxie, about every third trip the pedo tube would blow clear off. To test it, have the little woman drive and check. I finally had to hunt down a tiny little hose clamp. Dead rise? I should know this one but I'm still learning port and starboard! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
Chuck

2Slow
06-05-2002, 07:43 PM
I think dead rise is the angle of the transom, the drip would be the speedo line for sure, cut an inch off, and put it back on.
Does you speedo still work? Mine froze and cracked and my feet were got really wet!!
Originally posted by BigWaveDave:
My girlfriend and I have owned a 24' Nordic Venture for about 6 months. I have a persistent drip on my feet while under way. I've pulled off the knee bolster and crawled around on my back looking for the source of the water. I cannot find any water discoloration and guess it is the speedo pitot tubing. Is there any way to test this? Also, what the hell is "dead rise at the transom" and what does it do?

gnarley
06-05-2002, 10:02 PM
I could be wrong but I thought the dead-rise was only the angle of the Vee coming from the bottom center of the hull to the top center of the bow, never heard of stern dead-rise.

spectras only
06-05-2002, 10:40 PM
The deadrise is the degree of the upward angle from the keel of a V hulled bottom looking at the back of the transom of a boat.You start with a flat bottom with no deadrise at the stern ,but a V entry at the stem . Most jetboats have a 12 degree deadrise ,upwardly to 17/18 degrees.There are jetboats with constant deadrise ,meaning 3/4 of the hull lenght from the stern is the same degree,ie; 20 foot spectra ,etc....[they're also called semi V hulls.There are also warped hulls ,or called variable deadrise [old chris crafts,PT boats etc,where the deadrise is measured at the stern area and becomes deeper/sharper towards the bow.Most true offshore V hulls are 24 degree and some like pantera ,sutphen and some excaliburs have 26 degrees for superior rough water handling.I think [could be wrong]28 degrees are the deepest V hulls.Transoms don't have a deadrise,they have angles.Old barrell backs had forward transom angles like some chris crafts ,rivas ,but most boats have reverse angles or straight up transoms [it's a matter of boat designs] that aids boats from getting swamped from a following sea or from an unexpected engine shot down.It's only my 0.02 http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited June 05, 2002).]

BigWaveDave
06-06-2002, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys...I'll check out that speedo next weekend at the lake.
I gotta tell ya' Spectra...if my engine got shot down, that would truely be unexpected.

spectras only
06-06-2002, 02:44 PM
BWD, I've seen it happening in the past with low freeboard boats ,become instant hot tubs,hehe http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif .The splashguards help somewhat.