PDA

View Full Version : question about the dana boats

Scape Goat
12-07-2003, 06:07 PM
is 27' Dana the exact same mold as the raysons craft. seams to have the same lines and contours. Why are they selling them for 10 G more if it is.

TRG
12-07-2003, 07:56 PM
i recently visited S&W plastics right next to dana, and asked the same question....and yes they are the same hull,... or at least the guy behind the desk said so...dont quote me,...i aint said shit!!! todd

bigq
12-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Base engine cost more, more options, better rigging, who knows and why does it matter, could be a lot of reasons.

Froggystyle
12-08-2003, 10:06 AM
From what I understand from some good sources, the owner really wants to build a sweet boat. He is doing a good job, and providing good customer service.
I have not however seen one of their boats, and only know the watercooler scuttlebutt.

Ivan Dan
12-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Ask Cole on here about his experience with Rayson Craft and you will understand why Dana is charging more $$.
www.DanKaatz.com

BADBLOWN572
12-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Ivan is exactly right. Rayson Craft rips people off in a big way. I would rather pay an extra $10,000.00 and get what I pay for. I have had two friends drop some serious cash in Rayson Craft. One got a used gimbal/outdrive setup, paid for full hydraulic steering only got assisted, bad wiring, etc. The other friend dropped almost $130k in there for a 27 with two motors (one blown and one 500hp) one to have fun with and one to race F2. When the boat left the shop it was on a borrowed trailer with no interior, engines, swim step, etc. BAD DEAL ALL AROUND. Both of them currently have judgements against Rayson Craft, but there are no assets to attach. The only good thing about Rayson Craft is the name, and that is going down hill fast. THATS IT!!! The 27 is probably the best riding 27 I have been in. They haul ass for the power given and I have been out on a black ball day on Mojave and no problems. Make sure that if you are going to buy one of these, it is a Dana and not a Rayson Craft. Besides the owner of Rayson Craft is currently sitting in LA County Jail for receipt of stolen property.

Scape Goat
12-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys for the reply.
I heard about the guy from rayson sitting in jail and the horror story with the guys not getting what they paid for.
I like the style of the boat but I would surly go through Dana if I could afford one right now.
thanks

TCHB
12-11-2003, 07:29 PM
A friend of mine bought a new Dana last year and has been very happy with the boat and the customer service. He said the owner treats you fair and makes sure you are satisfied.

OGShocker
12-18-2003, 02:03 PM
I will start by saying Tom, the owner of Dana Performance Boats is a very good friend of mine. We met when my wife and I went to the Anaheim Boat Show 2003. We bought our boat the very next week. I DO NOT WORK FOR DANA!
Tom is an honest and loyal friend. He treats his friends and customers as family. His quote "you buy a boat from us you become part of the family"! He builds a great boat that is strong and safe. A boat that has all the quality parts you would put in/on a boat you would build yourself, because that is what you do with a custom boat. Everytime you get in your boat and stab the throttle you pray the builder is a guy like Tom.
If anyone is looking for a 27' I'll take you for a ride in ours.
As for Rayson Craft, I would rather not comment, I've never met him. I do know he NEVER owned the 27 mold.... He leased it. Rayson Craft is now OUT OF THE BOAT BUILDING BUSINESS.
Thank you,
OGS

Larry Nebb
12-18-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Scape Goat
is 27' Dana the exact same mold as the raysons craft. seams to have the same lines and contours. Why are they selling them for 10 G more if it is.
Because you will get it.
I don't think anything is comming out of RC right now.

OGShocker
12-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Larry Nebb
Because you will get it.
I don't think anything is comming out of RC right now.
I don't think they will ever be back!

BADBLOWN572
12-19-2003, 02:52 PM
The only good thing to come out of Rayson Craft in the past 10 years was the molds as the creditors removed them from the building. It is a shame too because the molds were for some of the best riding boats in the industry.

TRG
12-19-2003, 06:09 PM
hey OGS...does dana do their own lay-up, or does another co. do it for them? thanks todd

OGShocker
12-20-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
hey OGS...does dana do their own lay-up, or does another co. do it for them? thanks todd
A guy by the name of Smiley does ALL of Dana's layups. He has his own company (not a boat company) in OC but, works for Dana on a contract basis. Smiley has been building boats for 40 to 45 years. From what he told me he had ONE warrenty repair in all those years. Smiley is a craftsman.
The molds are owned by Dana and Tom is there when graphics are taped in through the last layer of glass. I was there for from start to finish on our boat and was very impressed!
UPDATE! I was at the bar with Tom this week and talked about this thread. He told me the 27 mold had been reworked when he got it back from "RC". They did a lot of mod's to the mold like, made it wider, remove the deck scoops and other stuff I don't remember(I was in the bar). You guys need to stop by and look at the work they do there. The rigging is tight. I will look from the pictures of our boat being built and post them here if you would like.
OGS

BADBLOWN572
12-22-2003, 08:41 AM
OGS they are removing the vents? I liked the way that the vents looked on the deck, even though they were pointless. Are you going to be able to get any pics of the new 27? Are they doing anything to the bottom? The only downside of the boat was that it porpoised slightly in glass. However, click the taps down 1 degree and trim up the boat and the porpoise goes away. I would like to see that boat with a step in it just to free it up a little bit more. I do love that boat and it is probably the best riding and fastest boat in its class right now. If I was building a deep V, it would definitely be up at the top of my list.

bigq
12-22-2003, 08:54 AM
I think it has already been done. The Aug issue of ***boat talked about all the changes, especially noted making the interior wider. Still no step from what I understand.

OGShocker
12-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by bigq
I think it has already been done. The Aug issue of ***boat talked about all the changes, especially noted making the interior wider. Still no step from what I understand.
One of the reasons we chose the Dana 27 was the fact it has NO step. We have riden in others (no names) with steps and found they just would not turn without skipping. Our boat is one of, if not the best turning boats I have ever driven. Someone will have to prove to me (they tried) that a step bottom can out perform a classic vee like the Dana 27, in ALL conditions not just a straight lines.
I know boats are like WINE. The best in the World is the one you like the best, so, take my my side of the story with that grain of salt.
My invitation still stands, if you wanna go for a ride and see for yourself flag me down and I'll pull over, pop a beer and take you for a ride.
OGS

mirvin
12-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Hey OG, didn't "Smiley" own the last incarnation of Dana Boats? And or many other custom builders? For some reason "Crusader" comes to mind but I could be wrong. I know that Smiley has had a hand in lots of molds.
Mirv;)

OGShocker
12-23-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
Hey OG, didn't "Smiley" own the last incarnation of Dana Boats? And or many other custom builders? For some reason "Crusader" comes to mind but I could be wrong. I know that Smiley has had a hand in lots of molds.
Mirv;)
Hmmm, I didn't think Smiey had ever "owned" any boat company but, I too have been wrong before.

Scape Goat
12-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Hey OGShocker One day I will take you up on that offer, I seen you cruising around the marina in long beach during the ski races.The flag job does stand out. I like that boat because of the long and low profile plus the smoth body lines. Just don't care alot about boats with really high freeboard. Or lots of obscured body contours.(right angles)
The only other boat that seems to fit the style from the west coast would be the bullet by howard.
Time to ask my bosses for a raise. :D

mirvin
12-24-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Hmmm, I didn't think Smiey had ever "owned" any boat company but, I too have been wrong before.
No, you're probly right. Maybe he was involved with Dana before they went out of business last time.
BTW, Dana's are my favorite boat out there. I love that 23 they make. Never been on a 27 but I've only ever heard great things about them and their boats.
Mirv;)

OGShocker
12-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Scape Goat
Hey OGShocker One day I will take you up on that offer, I seen you cruising around the marina in long beach during the ski races.The flag job does stand out. I like that boat because of the long and low profile plus the smoth body lines. Just don't care alot about boats with really high freeboard. Or lots of obscured body contours.(right angles)
The only other boat that seems to fit the style from the west coast would be the bullet by howard.
Time to ask my bosses for a raise. :D
I normally don't allow FORD guys near our stuff but, it is the holiday season.:D Flag us down we'll take you for a ride heck, I'll even buy the suds.
OGS