PDA

View Full Version : Weekly BCS Bashing!

HavasuDreamin'
12-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Quite possibley we will have a split national championship. Way to go clowns. :mad: Wasn't the BCS suppose to prevent this? :confused: And the playoff system will be instituted when? :rolleyes:
Fight on Trojans!

Kilrtoy
12-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Never,
As long as the east coast controls it, west coast will never have a chance:mad:

bronco88
12-08-2003, 08:41 AM
The loss to an unranked 7-6 team is what did USC in.
They never should have lost that game in the first place.
LSU lost to a very good 8-4 Florida team.
OU lost to a very good KSU team.
So we will probably have a split championship IF USC beats Michigan, which is debatable at this point.

SCUBA STEVE
12-08-2003, 08:45 AM
A play off system is the only way to go. If you look at it now, all they need to do is have one more game added to this mess
The rose bowl has 1 & 4 playing each other
The sugar has 2&3 playing each other.
Winner of each game plays for the title. Simple right? :rolleyes: :confused:
Did I hear Pete Carrol challange the winner of the Sugar Bowl to the first game of the season next year! Way to go Pete!:D

JetBoatRich
12-08-2003, 08:46 AM
USC will just have to go prove they are #1 on January 1st at the Rose Bowl:D
Remove all doubt and screw the BCS

THOR
12-08-2003, 08:50 AM
This is what you get when a bunch of non athleticly involved geeks figure out the bowl situation. Let the coach and sports writers/reporters vote. Like the AP, Coaches polls.
I think that LSU and USC would be one hell of a game. THat would hve been awesome. :D

SCUBA STEVE
12-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by bronco88
The loss to an unranked 7-6 team is what did USC in.
I agree, dont lose to Cal and there wouldnt be so much debate.
Last year SC had the toughest schedule in the country, this year they were playing what should have been close to the toughest schedule in the country..... well that sure didnt pan out.
Who had the toughtest schedule in the country this year? Not any of the bcs teams! Florida had the 5th toughest, and they are #15 on the bcs.

Havasu_Dreamin
12-08-2003, 08:59 AM
As a season ticket holder to UCLA gmaes I really don't like to see u$c do well in anything, but this is an absolute joke! There is no reason why $c should not be playing in the Sugar bowl!

SCUBA STEVE
12-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
As a season ticket holder to UCLA gmaes I really don't like to see u$c do well in anything, but this is an absolute joke! There is no reason why $c should not be playing in the Sugar bowl!
I hope I get your seats to the rosebowl!! I'll leave you a little suprise for next year. lol :D :cool:

THOR
12-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by SCUBA STEVE
I agree, dont lose to Cal and there wouldnt be so much debate.
Last year SC had the toughest schedule in the country, this year they were playing what should have been close to the toughest schedule in the country..... well that sure didnt pan out.
Who had the toughtest schedule in the country this year? Not any of the bcs teams! Florida had the 5th toughest, and they are #15 on the bcs.
3 things killed you:
ND losing
Hawaii losing
and losing to Cal
but, you should still be there.

SCUBA STEVE
12-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by THOR
3 things killed you:
ND losing
Hawaii losing
and losing to Cal
but, you should still be there.
Losing to Cal is something that f*cked them.
The other things are out of SC's hands. It doesnt make sense.
Oh well, my pocket book is happier, My wife is happier, I get to have one kick ass bbq on UCLA's field, and SC still might have a share of the National Championship.
Until they have a playoff system I guess thats ass good as it can get.

BLUBYU
12-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Quite possibley we will have a split national championship Just a question, if it is a split national champion, there's only one trophy, who gets it? I'm assuming the bcs winner, is that right?:confused:

TrojanDan
12-08-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by BLUBYU
Quite possibley we will have a split national championship Just a question, if it is a split national champion, there's only one trophy, who gets it? I'm assuming the bcs winner, is that right?:confused:
Screw that POS glass trophy from Sears! Who shops at Sears anyways unless you need tools or work boots! :mad: Yes, there is one trophy presented at the end of that game although the A/P will not recognize it unless the winner is also their #1. Maybe if SC wins, they get a nice certificate or something???

SCUBA STEVE
12-08-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by TrojanDan
Screw that POS glass trophy from Sears! Who shops at Sears anyways unless you need tools or work boots! :mad: Yes, there is one trophy presented at the end of that game although the A/P will not recognize it unless the winner is also their #1. Maybe if SC wins, they get a nice certificate or something???
lmfao! A certificate, thats classic. I have to agree though it will be a paper championship.

Sleek-Jet
12-08-2003, 01:01 PM
Here's how to fix the BCS... throw it out the window.
Replace it with a playoff schedule. Take all the conference champs, plus 2 teams named by the sports writers (so they still have their say :yuk: ). Then have a play-off season the month of December with the championship on New Years day.
It would be like March Madness for us football fans, and probably bigger then the Super Bowl. :D

mbrown2
12-08-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Never,
As long as the east coast controls it, west coast will never have a chance:mad:
Perfectly said

SCUBA STEVE
12-08-2003, 01:44 PM
For once I dont think we can blame the east coast on this. The NYT computer had SC at #1! And so does both human polls.
Imo they should elimate the strength of sos, because you can never tell if your going to get solid schedule from one year to the next.
If they still had the margin of victory in there, Ohio State would have been gone from contention a long time ago.
I was listening to the guy who did the program for the js computer.
He was pimping for the MAC conference. wtf? :rolleyes:
Anyway whats done is done. SC needs to go in to the rosebowl kick some butt! And not loose any games next year.
They need to fill that 9/11 date with a top knotch team!
Sept. 4 at BYU
Sept. 11 TBA
Sept. 25 at Stanford
Oct. 9 California
Oct. 16 Arizona State
Oct. 23 Washington
Oct. 30 at Washington State
Nov. 6 at Oregon State
Nov. 13 Arizona
Nov. 20 at UCLA
Nov. 27 Notre Dame

waterndog
12-08-2003, 02:00 PM
You know I think the BCS really stands for Biggest Crock of Shit :mad:
Well Scuba, Pops was really trying to get you hooked for New Orleans :(

Kilrtoy
12-08-2003, 02:09 PM
I heard a USC Graduate invented the BCS
That explains why its all screwed up

SCUBA STEVE
12-08-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by waterndog
You know I think the BCS really stands for Biggest Crock of Shit :mad:
Well Scuba, Pops was really trying to get you hooked for New Orleans :(
Its all good. I really appreciate the effort. :D :cool:

SCUBA STEVE
12-08-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I heard a USC Graduate invented the BCS
That explains why its all screwed up
I heard you were a little biatch that liked to wear trojan color pasties!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/829116_1677-med.JPG:D :D :D :D :p

BUSTI
12-08-2003, 04:25 PM
The lunacy of the BCS model is outrageous! any body that understands football and or some knowledge of the low standards the bcs tries to use in their computations will easily find the huge glaring problem with both LSU's schedule and OK's schedule......THEY BOTH PLAYED FRICKEN DIVISION 1 AA SCHOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE FUCCHING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
LSU PLAYED WESTERN ILLINOIS! A "AA" SCHOOL! ALSO THEY PLAYED THAT POWERHOUSE OF A D1 A SCHOOL...LA MONROE! THAT SCHOOL WENT 1-11. HOW CAN ANYBODY HAVE THE BALLS TO COMPARE USC'S 100% DIVISION 1 AA SCHEDULE TO LSU'S. THE BCS GIVES AS MUCH WEIGHT TO OUR BEATING OF OREGON STATE TO OUR SCORE AS LSU'S BEATING OF WESTERN ILLINOIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOW FOR OK..WHO IS SURPRISED THAT THEY TURNED OUT TO BE PAPER TIGERS? DID YOU KNOW THEY ALSO PLAYED A DIVISION 1 AA SCHOOL? THATS RIGHT ...THEY PLAYED IOWA STATE! IOWA STATE WENT 2-10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONCE AGAIN THEIR VICTORY OVER A D1 AA SCHOOL LIKE IOWA STATE MEANT THE SAME TO THEM AS USC BEATING THE WASHINGTON HUSKIES IN THE WIN LOSS ANALYSIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE BCS IS THE BS C!!!
THE TROJANS ARE NUMBER ONE AND THE BCS SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES.
IF WE PLAYED CAL POLY SAN LUIS OBISBO A D AA SCHOOL WHAT WOULD THE USC CRITICS BE SAYING. WHEN YOU PLAY D AA SCHOOLS THE STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE PART OF THE BCS MODEL JUST GOES OUT THE WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for all the caps but I was screaming at the top of my lungs!

Wicky
12-08-2003, 05:42 PM
USC that OK this. What about BSU?? How bout some congrats for my homeboys spoiling everything?? I love it!!! BSU was the equivalent of Mt.SanAntonio Orange Coast, or Citrus College only a dozen or so years ago. Could you imagine M.S.A.C. going to a Bowl game?? Kinda like Uncle Tony or Scuba Steve spanking the Big Block trailer queens eh? That's a different chapter though.
Mow,
Wicky

looky_lou
12-08-2003, 10:00 PM
BCS = Bull Championship Series;)
BCS = Boy Computers Suck:p

moneypit
12-08-2003, 11:27 PM
I think that A playoff situation is clearly out of the question. It would however determine who is the NO 1. Football has a time restraint. These teams and players would have to play at least an extra 3 weeks. So the BCS took the bias out of the situation. If Im not mistaked, BCS revolves around power rankings of a team. Power rankings come out of the strength of a team and the teams they play against. The strengths change as a season goes on. AP and Coaches poll go off of what people "think". I think that would create more of a dilema than what BCS produces. Especially if we really want to find out whos number 1.
In saying this, I wish USC was in the Sugar bowl. But when the season started they knew they had to win ALL of their games to be considered. They shot themselves in the foot with their loss.
I believe that a playoff situation could be rendered with the top three or four teams. It should be imposed when a situation comes up if the teams are so close in power rankings. This year LSU and USC should play eachother to bid for the spot against Oklahoma. Just my thoughts. Lets face it there is no easy solution.

Doug H.
12-08-2003, 11:54 PM
The void on USC's schedule next year will be tough to figure out due to the fact they don't know who would be a formidable team to compete with and expect to beat ? let's say for instance that Pat Hill, coach of fresno state calls up to play in that open date, two things here to think about, 1, USC should beat them 2, fresno state is a sleeper team that will schedule anybody on any terms. they have already beaten the men of troy once this decade ?................................................. .............1992 (freedom bowl) SC-7...FSU-24. could this match up hurt the trojans or help ? does it depend on where FSU was ranked when the season ended ? or does SC want to take a chance on playing the bulldogs that could beat them ? it's always tough to figure out who to put in that vacant slot because big brother on the east coast is always watching your every move.. Did you know colleges schedule there games in 6-7 years in advance ? as you can see you don't know what kind of recruiting years you'll have or even have a job after one year. This is a tough business baby.
WE ARE PLAY-OFF BOUND...................................not

HavasuDreamin'
12-09-2003, 07:05 AM
I read an article over at ESPN that put things into perspective. Sure there are those of you who say SC screwed themselves by losing to Cal, and to a certain extent you are right. However, both OK and LSU lost a game as well......did they screw themselves? OK got spanked by a good KSU team, and LSU got beat at home by a pretty good Florida team. They lost by 12 points. SC played a decent Cal team and lost in triple overtime on the road due to a number of reasons including a missed field goal.
SC should be ranked number one and should be playing for the consensus title.
Strength of schedule. This was the deciding factor this year. SC had a weaker schedule so to speak...........but did they? Both Florida and Memphis were 8-4 this year. How many think Memphis is even close to as good as Florida? The BCS does.........and that is where the problem is with strength of schedule. The BCS makes no distinction between an 8-4 Florida team and an 8-4 Memphis team because strength of schedule is based on your apponents winning percentage. Strength of schedule needs to go.
Syracuse beat Notre Dame. Boise State beat Hawaii. Two irrelevant games on the last Saturday of the season impacted the BCS title game. Is SC any less deserving of a shot at the consensus title because Syracuse beat ND and Boise State beat Hawaii? I think not.
Things have been bad for the BCS for years. However, this year the unthinkable happened. This will force the BCS to make a major change. IMHO, they will add one more game pitting #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3 with the winners of those games playing for the title. I think that is fair for the players, coaches, and fans.
Fight on Troy!!!

bronco88
12-09-2003, 07:16 AM
Where did Memphis come from there is no team called Memphis in the polls?

HavasuDreamin'
12-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by bronco88
Where did Memphis come from there is no team called Memphis in the polls?
Yes there is a team called Memphis, and no they are not ranked in the polls.....................that is my point. New Mexico was also 8-4 and not ranked.
You think either of these teams are as good as Florida? The BCS does. :rolleyes:

THOR
12-09-2003, 07:46 AM
All USC had to do is beat CAL, but they didnt. On top of it, every team they played with the exception of WSU had 5 or more losses. That is a horrible schedule. And yes, LA Monroe is better than half of the PAC 10. :D

SCUBA STEVE
12-09-2003, 09:12 AM
We can all go back & fourth on this for years! A play off system with the top 4 or 6 teams is the best way. The top 2 teams would get a bye week if its a 6 team play off.
SC got screwed this year with this system, SC fans are more pissed because SC hasnt been this close in years.
I have said it all year, SC was lucky to be in consideration for a NC game. A lot of teams helped them out by loosing along the way.
I am very happy that SC is playing Michigan in the Rosebowl.
Just like the old days, before this bcs nonsense.
When next year rolls around, SC should be hot once again, and hopefully they'll be able to pull off another NC run. :D
I just hope ND & the rest of the pac is a little stronger next season.
So what about SC & the NC water polo team... ;) :D

THOR
12-09-2003, 10:02 AM
If anyone says a playoff schedule wont work they are full of shit.
First, a playoff system would generate so much money for the schools and conferences it would be ridiculous. Secondly, the 4 weeks it would take would be just as exciting as march madness.
I have an idea. make it THOR's december madness. Screw Dicky V.