PDA

View Full Version : Need 20" rims!

roln 20s
12-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Well, I finally took my rear rim and tire into Discount Tire. Turns out there is a couple hairline cracks in the inner lip of the rim, which is causing my tire to go flat, nothing wrong with the tire.
So, I need a set of 20" wheels--anyone have just rims at a good price? or rims and tires (I need 255-35 20s)? Must be 5 on 5 with right offset to lay with airbags.
Froggy- you still have those 255-35 tires that you didn't need?
I am leaning toward some new Boze wheels, since I can get wholesale, but any other suggestions would be helpful.
And yes, the current rims, tires and adaptors will be foresale, but I would like to have some fix the rim first, or I will sell as is. These are the wheels and tires as of now!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/1therig2-med.JPG
Thanks,
Roln 20s

Froggystyle
12-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Sold those on E-bay for $650 believe it or not. The guy was totally stoked too....
Sorry.

roln 20s
12-09-2003, 01:24 PM
I agree- 650 is a freakin good deal! The best I can find currently is around 175 a tire, plus tax, mounting and balancing, etc...DAMN.
I actually should have bought yours last time- I wish I had of known that.
Lessons learned--ALWAYS ask questions on these forums first!
Thanks anyway-
Roln 20s

THATJEFFGUY
12-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Hey Roln20's...
PM me..I have a pretty good hook up on wheels & tires.
Jeff

roln 20s
12-09-2003, 02:57 PM
THATGUYJEFF-
Thanks...I have sent you a PM.
Roln 20s

wsuwrhr
12-09-2003, 07:31 PM
I am kind of biased but here goesAmerican Eagle Wheels (http://www.americaneaglewheel.com)
Check out the BOSS or MSR line
Brian

DaveA
12-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Roln 20s,
Are those 20" wheels composites, or multi-piece?? Who's the manufacturer?
The inner barrel may be spun aluminum, and could 'possibly' be replaced, if the wheel isn't huck-bolted together.
There may be other repair techniques available depending upon construction...pm me for more info...

Kilrtoy
12-09-2003, 08:31 PM
Roln 20
Go to 50 series will save you a lot of headaches

roln 20s
12-10-2003, 08:26 AM
Are those 20" wheels composites, or multi-piece?? Who's the manufacturer?
They are manufactured by MOMO. I believe they are probably cast aluminum with a Chrome plate finish. The chrome chipped off on one of the edges too.
There may be other repair techniques available depending upon construction...pm me for more info...
I was told that they can probably be fixed, just welded up- but since I need new tires anyway, I am going to get a new set of rims and tires. However, I am interested in getting the rim fixed. If someone doesn't want them, I will keep them and then put them back on when I sell it- and keep my new wheels.
Do you think you or someone you know can fix it?
Go to 50 series will save you a lot of headaches
50 series would be nice, but just will not work. The truck is way too low, but thats ok, I like it like that. One of these days, when I buy a Denali or Escalade, I plan on putting 23 or 24's on it with some 40 series. See, I am making improvements :D
Lets hear it Kilrtoy-- are you planning to get the new Shockwave cat?
Thanks for all of the responses.
Roln 20s

Kilrtoy
12-10-2003, 07:32 PM
It looks good,
I have the new truck to pull that bigger boat,
Now it needs a sticker in the window....

DaveA
12-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Roln20s,
Welding up a cast wheel is an exercise in futility, unfortunately, most of the time. Whoever you get to do it will have to understand the welding of cast aluminum in the first place. If you know of someone that repairs cast aluminum heads/blocks, knows how to stop-drill the crack properly, etc. you stand a much better chance of the weld holding together.
I don't endorse welding cast wheels, since the usual cause is some sort of impact- potholes, etc. and the resulting deformation has to be removed after the welding. And if the weld holds thru the straightening process- well, you're lucky- the welder knew his stuff.
Chrome plating, as I am told (and have seen in practice) tends to slightly embrittle aluminum- making it more susceptible to shock-induced cracking across the barrel of the wheel. May have an impact on the success of the weld, too.
Sorry to ramble- probably more than you wanted or needed to know. See if you can buy just one wheel if they're still recent production. May be cheaper since the price of 20" have been dropping somewhat in the cast wheel lines.
Just my observations...:)
DaveA

roln 20s
12-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the response DaveA. I've heard that welding this is definately an art, and very few people are actually good at it or know truely what they are doing. I've got a couple names, but we'll see. The wheel was discontinued a couple years ago, and since MOMO is an Italian based company, its hard to find anything. Their distribution center in CA is useless.
Thanks,
Roln 20s

truksnboats
12-11-2003, 10:10 AM
hey roln 20's A shop over in Irwindale can fix the cracks in your wheel. Call them Classic Wheel Works 626 815-1577.
I also have a few sets of 20's that are 6x5.5 for $200 each if anyone is interested. I'm gonna try to put a pic up but i've never done it.

roln 20s
12-11-2003, 10:23 AM
trucksnboats-
Thanks for the reply. I will definately give that place a call. You sure you don't any of those in 20*8.5's in a 5 on 5. If so, you may have a buyer. What bolt pattern is a 6 on 5.5. Is that a Tahoe/Denali/Escalade or something else?
Roln 20s

truksnboats
12-11-2003, 10:28 AM
roln 20's,
That bolt pattern is for 99+ chevy and GMC trucks and new body subs and tahoes as well as the caddy SUV's.
There is a chance that Classic wheel works can do what they call a "fill and drill" to the wheel to change the pattern since the wheel has a center cap that covers the lug holes. By the way the wheels were chromed in China which looks way better than any chrome job done in the states.

truksnboats
12-11-2003, 03:37 PM

Bense468
12-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Travis knows his shit. Go to Classic. :wink: