PDA

View Full Version : I need your help?

rvrtoy
12-09-2003, 04:58 PM
We have been contracted by a television studio to find a location for a speed test. We will be racing a boat vs. a car. (sorry, I can't give any more details than that).
What I need is a location some where in the south western United States that has a stretch of water 1/2 mile to 1 mile long with a road slightly elevated running parallel. The road must be straight and as smooth as possible. A 1 mile stretch would be prefered.
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

MagicMtnDan
12-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Try the LA River after a nice rain storm. Watch out for the dickheads who manage to get swept away and are being washed towards the beach :D And watch out for the helicopters trying to rescue the numbnutts in the water.
Nevermind, it looks like we won't get enough rain again this year either... :frown:

Outnumbered
12-09-2003, 05:18 PM
What about just below Davis dam at Laughlin. The old road on the west side of the river just below the dam but north of the bridge? I can't remember how straight it is since we never use it anymore since they changed that intersection around.
OL

Kilrtoy
12-09-2003, 05:49 PM
that road is not straight enough,
What about the ocean....

Outnumbered
12-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
coranodo bridge@ san deigo:D
A bridge is the way to go, like that commercial for the Jag or BMW or whatever. The boat is cruising checking out the car and the car is checking out the boat.
That's it, perfectly straight.
OL

rvrtoy
12-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Thanks for your input. I will look into some of those ideas.:)

BiggusJimbus
12-10-2003, 08:46 AM
I would suggest posting this is Hot Spots West.
There are many areas of the Delta that would be good for such a shot. I just couldn't personally tell you of them by name.
Many on that list can.

JetBoatRich
12-10-2003, 08:48 AM
if you could get the OK, Buena Vista has a road along side the lake.:D

Rexone
12-10-2003, 08:48 AM
There might possibly be such a stretch along the Sacramento river. I've not been there for awhile but it seems to me there are roads running along the sides in alot of places there.

jackpunx
12-10-2003, 08:53 AM
BV Defiantly has the road.. A cop in a car was trying to keep up with me in the back section.. Im sure they wont let you go over 45mph though
Also.. I think http://www.firebirdraceway.com/.. check it out

JetBoatRich
12-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by jackpunx
BV Defiantly has the road.. A cop in a car was trying to keep up with me in the back section.. Im sure they wont let you go over 45mph though
Also.. I think http://www.firebirdraceway.com/.. check it out
You just didn't ask first:D and say please:rolleyes:

MagicMtnDan
12-10-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
A bridge is the way to go, like that commercial for the Jag or BMW or whatever. The boat is cruising checking out the car and the car is checking out the boat.
That's it, perfectly straight.
OL
That bridge looks like the old US1 highway bridge that ran through the Florida Keys. It may be a part of it that's still standing then again it may be computer generated...

rvrtoy
12-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
if you could get the OK, Buena Vista has a road along side the lake.:D
Where is Buena Vista?

Johnwithjm
12-10-2003, 09:11 AM
How about Diamond Valley Lake. I was told there is a nice piece of road along the dam that may work.

gnarley
12-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by rvrtoy
We have been contracted by a television studio to find a location for a speed test. We will be racing a boat vs. a car. (sorry, I can't give any more details than that).
What I need is a location some where in the south western United States that has a stretch of water 1/2 mile to 1 mile long with a road slightly elevated running parallel. The road must be straight and as smooth as possible. A 1 mile stretch would be prefered.
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
I don't think you'll find anything like that in So Cal.
In Nor Cal the delta has more than 1 stretch that could be used for this that is not a major traffic artery, lots of deserted levee roads except for local traffic. It sounds like what you want and need is a levee road that is elevated above the Channel and that is just what we have up here & hundreds of miles of it with some being straight for a mile or so. The delta is only about 6 hours from LA, If you need help in finding that location and need me to take you out to the Delta to show you around and scout out a place let me know, I could use a job.

JetBoatRich
12-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by rvrtoy
Where is Buena Vista?
Bakersfield:rolleyes:

Boatcop
12-10-2003, 06:43 PM
If a dirt road is suitable, the Lower River near Palo Verde, Ca / Cibola, Az has a levee road that runs right along the river. Same with the Oxbow road, south from Ehrenberg.
You'd have to get clearence for a speed run through the BLM and Bureau of Reclamation.

Mandelon
12-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Thinking of that reminds of a scene from Miami Vice. How about along the silver strand in Coronado? Could be on the bay side or the ocean i suppose. Although the road is not right next to the water the whole time, but it is straight.
How far do you need to race?

Rivertoys
12-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
What about just below Davis dam at Laughlin. The old road on the west side of the river just below the dam but north of the bridge? I can't remember how straight it is since we never use it anymore since they changed that intersection around.
OL
That's a great spot and YES it is plenty straight!
RTJas :D

rvrtoy
12-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks for your help. We will be looking into Laughlin and a few othe rspots mentioned here right away.
Thanks everyone for your help.
rvrtoy
The ocean and bay spots are ok but I prefer fresh water for this event.

91nordic29
12-11-2003, 01:10 PM
what about firebird lake/raceway here in phoenix?
firebird international raceway (http://www.firebirdraceway.com/)