PDA

View Full Version : Another sad story........

Mandelon
12-09-2003, 07:49 PM
This is the son of a friend of mine....................:( :frown: :frown: :frown:
They don't know if tripped and fell, passed out drunk or did it on purpose.....
Train kills Chico student
19-year-old lay on tracks during houseboat outing
LAKEHEAD — A 19-year-old Chico State University student on a weekend houseboating trip with friends was killed early Sunday when a train hit him as he lay on the tracks, officials said.
John Michael Barbaro of La Crescenta was killed about 1:15 a.m. by a train heading south at 39 mph, said Union Pacific Railroad Police Special Agent Randy Anderson.
Barbaro was one of 26 students embarked on an annual tradition for a group with similar majors at the university. They had rented two houseboats on Lake Shasta for the weekend. After a day of swimming, wakeboarding and fishing, the group moored the boats on the shore of the northern part of the Sacramento River arm of the lake, and some started drinking, Anderson said.
Sometime after midnight, someone noticed Barbaro was missing. Several friends started searching in and around the houseboats for him. After about 20 minutes of searching, one friend noticed a train had stopped. He hiked up a steep embankment to get to the train, where he found Barbaro dead.
There were no indications anything was amiss with Barbaro earlier. "They said he was doing fine all day before he disappeared," Anderson said.
The train, traveling under the speed limit, had just exited a tunnel on a curve, operators reported to Anderson, when its headlights shone on a figure lying on the tracks. Barbaro was lying perpendicular to the tracks with his head propped on the westernmost rail as if by a pillow, Anderson said. The brakes of the massive train were applied. There was "no movement, no hesitation, no flinching" by Barbaro, Anderson said.
An autopsy and toxicology tests will be done on Barbaro, the Shasta County Coroner's office said.

Kilrtoy
12-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Man this is become a sad place lately and this type of stuff always happens around this time of year.
SORRY to hear that....
Heart goes out to the family

Kindsvater Flat
12-10-2003, 12:04 AM
Sorry to hear that. Lots of lives lost due to the trains up here it seems like.
I live 20 minutes south of Chico. Do you realize how many people are killed a year in Chico due to the train? I would say 60% drunk, 30% listening to walkmans and don't hear it, 10% suicide.
Either college kids or homeless.

fourspeednup
12-10-2003, 12:14 AM
Wow, that's horrible. I have been incredibly lucky considering some of the things I've done, but it just goes to show...anything can happen at any time. Even if it was his own fault, can anyone imagine what the family must be going through?
A few years ago a family friend lost their daughter when she fell out her dorm window. She'd been drinking but while that was a good enough answer for everyone else, the family was still left without their little girl.:frown: