PDA

View Full Version : Are the Planes We Fly More at Risk?

DaveA
12-09-2003, 07:56 PM
All you aircraft mechanics, pilots, and airline personnel:
This is the title of a 3-day series of articles published in the Charlotte Disturber...er...Observer on the above topic.
Just thought y'all might like to read this stuff and post your reactions, since alot of y'all (Southern, you see...) are in that industry.
Just FWIW,
DaveA
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/special_packages/planes/ (Are the Planes We Fly More at Risk?)[FONT=century gothic]

DaveA
12-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Well, now...
Let me go back to Posting 101 and give you the REAL link....
Sorry.
Try THIS link! (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/special_packages/planes/)

Jbb
12-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Glad I am not in the airline business anymore ....The stress made my eyes look funny....

DaveA
12-09-2003, 08:24 PM
You mean "funnier"....:D

Sleek-Jet
12-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Man, it want's me to sign up. Screw it.
What did the article say. Is it the typical whistle blower/Marilyn Sciavo BS????
I get a little tired of the "informed" investigative reports in this country.

DaveA
12-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Awwww...go ahead...sign up. You won't get spammed! Promise!
It didn't seem to be too Scary-Mary. I've not finished it yet, since there's so much to read, and I have to get out my "Liberal-slant to Conservative Funkin' Wangers Dictionary" out when I read the Disturber sometimes.
Big thang is that they're pointing out that the FAA has the time and resources to be all over the airlines' maintenance operations- in their mess kits all the time, but now that more of the carriers are outsourcing heavy and component maintenance, the small repair station/contractors are inspected only a fraction of the time the big guys get looked at. Wages are lower, training is sparse, and turnover is high, yet costs are lower to the carriers if they use the outsourcers, which the newspaper claims is the primary thing the carriers want.
Well, duh.
It's because the breakrooms at the major carriers' hangars are nicer, air conditioned, and the inspectors can raid the fridge anytime they want to....:D
I'll continue to read more of it with every potty break I get...
DaveA

Sleek-Jet
12-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Never mind. :rolleyes:

GlastronGuy
12-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by DaveA
Are the Planes We Fly More at Risk?
Yes. Because plane that are sitting on the ground are less likely to fall out of the sky.