PDA

View Full Version : Carmichael out for the season

Dribble
12-10-2003, 07:47 AM
Looks like the makings for an interesting Supercross season.
November 28, 2003
Honda press release
American Honda announced today that Ricky Carmichael, defending AMA 250 Supercross and AMA 250 Motocross Champion sustained a knee injury while pre-season testing for the 2004 season.
Carmichael was examined by his doctor earlier today with the results showing a torn ACL knee ligament. The injury will require surgery with an estimated recovery time of 4 months.
"Ricky and the team were prepared and looking forward to defending the Supercross title", said Honda Race Team Manager, Chuck Miller, "Now Ricky is anxious to get the surgery taken care of so he can start his training for the motocross series."

Tom Slick
12-10-2003, 08:40 AM
That's old news. Reed is also currently sitting on the side lines with a shoulder injury. He had surgery early last week and hopes to be back in time for Anaheim 1.

Havasu47
12-10-2003, 09:13 AM
It may be old news but it still is news and news not everyone may know.
As far as it being an interesting season here is my .02. Reed and Carmichael would have put on a great show. Everyone has their favorite but either one could have won. Carnichael out makes it less exciting and I think will make it an all Reed show.
Is Stewart moving up to 250? That certainly would bring some more excitement to the 250 class.
Just my .02.

jackpunx
12-10-2003, 09:20 AM
I want to see some of those 250 champs move to the thumpers

Dribble
12-10-2003, 09:21 AM
I read in Racer X that Stewart is staying in the 125 class and will be on a KX250F. Now that Carmicaheal and Reed are out, who knows. I wanted to see him move up the the 250 class this year

Havasu47
12-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Reed is supposed to be ready by the first Anaheim race as slick said. I think it would be a waste for Stewart to stay in the 125 class. I looked forward to watching Stewart on the big bikes.:(

hboldno7
12-10-2003, 09:39 AM
With Ricky and reed out of his way, nobody will touch windham this year. He will be riding the 450. Should be interesting

Caribbean Jet
12-10-2003, 09:56 AM
For all of you that drive the 15 Fwy, he was hurt on the track off of the freeway just before you hit Toms Farms. I think that the Exit is Cajalco(?) Just FYI

Tom Slick
12-10-2003, 10:11 AM
Who was hurt at a track off of I-15?

ratso
12-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Tom, that's old news...:D

Caribbean Jet
12-10-2003, 12:46 PM
wrong quote.

Caribbean Jet
12-10-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Tom Slick
Who was hurt at a track off of I-15?
Which track off of the 15 are you talking about, maybe I can help you figure it out.

Freak
12-10-2003, 12:49 PM
No news is good news from Gary Ganew.

Tom Slick
12-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Caribbean Jet,
You said in an earlier post the he was hurt at a track off of the 15. I asked who was hurt at the track off the 15.

Cs19
12-10-2003, 06:41 PM
Thats kawis test track, I doubt that is where ricky got hurt. I bet it was at Hondas facility.
Windham will be one to watch in the supercross series, ferry and ezra will be contenders too.
Cant wait for round 1.

Waldo
12-10-2003, 09:13 PM
You guys should read supercross.com or cyclenews.com a little more. Carmichael tore his acl a couple months ago. It was agravated while testing last month.
Here's an interview:
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=56509
Also, Reed is trying to be back by Anaheim, Sebastian Tortelli (factory Suzuki) is out for the season with knee surgery, Bubba is riding the eastern supercross series (rumor), and this year will be exciting. The competition will be closer. Plus, the first round always has surprises...just remember what happened last year...Carmichael crashed hard with LaRacco, Bubba started dead last after a crash and marched back to second, and Pastrana always puts on a show until he crashes.
We'll be partying all day in the lot. See ya there.

Havasu47
12-11-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by ratso
Tom, that's old news...:D
LMFAO:D

Caribbean Jet
12-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by cs19
Thats kawis test track, I doubt that is where ricky got hurt. I bet it was at Hondas facility.
Windham will be one to watch in the supercross series, ferry and ezra will be contenders too.
Cant wait for round 1.
That may or may not be true, I'm just telling you what I read in Sundays LA Times, they made it sound like it just happened. I read the artical that waldo put up and that is not the story that the Smelly times wrote. Oh well, this will just make the series a little more interesting now.

Tom Slick
12-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Here's the deal boys. RC supposedly tore his ACL while preparing for the Motocross Des Nations back in September. He had planned on continuing with his preparations toward the 2004 AMA supercross series, when he supposedly aggravated his knee while secretly testing the CRF 450 up north at Castillo Ranch. He says that he didn't fall, just aggravated his knee while squeezing the bike with his knees. He had finally decided between the 450 and the 250 and was preparing to race the 450 for both supercross and outdoors. Since his knee was bothering him enough that he was not confident that he would make it through the entire SX series, he decided that it would be best to sit out SX, get the ACL surgery and then focus on the outdoor series.
Chad Reed on the other hand says that he was playing pool at a friends house and some how popped his already weak shoulder out. Like RC, Reed decided that it would be best to get it fixed now, rather then risk having it get worse throughout the SX series. He should be recovered in time for round 1 at Anaheim.
Inside sources say that prior to Reeds injury, Ezra Lusk had actually been turning the quickest laps out of all of the Yamaha riders at Yamaha's Corona test track. Rumor also has it that Windam was the man to beat at Honda's track and that him and LaRocco were battling back and forth for the fastest lap times. This is most likely what prompted RC to look at the 450 and decided after testing it that he would race it in SX.
James Stewart has opted not to ride the KXF 250, instead he decided to race his familiar KX 125. This may change for the outdoor series, but for now it seems certain that he will ride the 125cc 2-stroke when the East Coast SX starts. Rumor also had it that he had been testing the KX 250 2-stroke last week, but there is not enough time to get it dialed for Anaheim. You never know waht will happen come round 1 though.
Here's my picks for round 1
250cc
1. Reed
2. Lusk
3. Windam
4. DV
5. Ferry
125cc
1. Preston
2. Jesseman
3. Short
4. Ramsey
5. Roncada

Dribble
12-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Good list, but I think I would move Windham up a notch. Villumen is on lately but who knows if it will last.

Tom Slick
12-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Dribble,
You may be right. I think that this season is going to be a toss up for every position between 2nd - 6th. I think Reed will have a pretty good handle on the field even with the shoulder injury.
What do you guys think about the 125 class?