JustMVG
12-11-2003, 12:50 AM
Social Security checks could go south of border
Sergio Bustos
Gannett News Service
Dec. 10, 2003 12:01 AM
Related link
• Special report: Border security >>
WASHINGTON - U.S. and Mexican officials are discussing an agreement that would allow millions of Mexicans to return home and still collect U.S. Social Security benefits.
The controversial proposal that could transfer hundreds of millions of dollars in Social Security payments south of the border has riled some Republican lawmakers. They worry that it could reward scores of undocumented Mexican immigrants with a U.S. pension, draining the country's Social Security trust fund at a time when its future solvency is in doubt.
"Talk about an incentive for illegal immigration," said GOP Rep. Ron Paul of Texas. "How many more would break the law to come to this country if promised U.S. government paychecks for life?"
Supporters of the proposal argue that Mexican immigrants, documented and undocumented, pay millions, if not billions, of dollars in payroll taxes and have the right to claim Social Security benefits.
"Let's be honest, there are millions of Mexican immigrants contributing to the Social Security system and the U.S. economy," said Katherine Culliton, an attorney with the Washington, D.C., office of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund. "It's only fair they get back a benefit they deserve that will keep them from dying in poverty."
Final approval of any U.S.-Mexican "totalization" agreement is up to the Republican-controlled Congress. The Bush administration supports such an accord as a way to improve U.S.-Mexican relations.
And Mexico is prepared to administer an agreement, Social Security Commissioner Jo Anne Barnhart told lawmakers at a congressional hearing earlier this year. U.S. officials said they are satisfied that the two countries could exchange information easily on potential Social Security recipients. Details of how to put the agreement into effect still need to be worked out.
Under a totalization agreement between two countries, workers could accumulate enough credits to qualify for Social Security benefits in either country.
20 other accords
The federal government began pursuing such agreements in 1977 to help make Americans sent abroad by their employers eligible for Social Security benefits. Today, the United States has pacts with 20 countries, mostly in Europe. Congress has never rejected an agreement.
In 2001, the federal government paid out $173 million in Social Security benefits to about 89,000 foreigners living abroad, a fraction of the $408 billion distributed the same year to 45 million U.S. residents.
But a U.S.-Mexican agreement would dwarf the accords with other countries, critics of the proposal say. They point out that the combined number of recipients from those 20 countries is tiny compared with the potentially vast number of Mexican citizens who could become eligible for Social Security.
"None of those countries have public policies that encourage illegal immigration to the United States," said Republican Rep. John Hostettler of Indiana, chairman of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security and Claims.
Social Security Administration officials estimate that about 50,000 Mexicans would collect $78 million in the first year of a U.S.-Mexican agreement. They predict that by 2050, 300,000 Mexicans would collect $650 million in benefits a year.
But a recent General Accounting Office report said those numbers failed to account for the presence of many potentially eligible, undocumented Mexican immigrants and their families.
Census figures show that the United States is home to 9 million Mexican citizens. More than half, about 5 million, reportedly are in the United States illegally, according to federal estimates.
Barnhart assured lawmakers that undocumented immigrants do not get Social Security benefits.
"That's a myth," she said. "As is the case with our existing agreements, a totalization agreement with Mexico would not alter current law on this issue."
Proof of eligibility
That's true, but a provision in the Social Security Act allows undocumented immigrants to get Social Security benefits if the United States and another country have a totalization agreement. Those immigrants would have to prove they had paid into the U.S. system.
Former undocumented immigrants also could become eligible if they later become legal residents. A recent investigation by the Office of Inspector General at the Social Security Administration found two such cases.
In one, a Mexican man who used his father's Social Security number for nine years in the 1970s claimed after becoming a legal resident in 1989 that he was owed benefits. He began collecting benefits in 1999.
And a Mexican woman who worked illegally under an invalid Social Security number for six years in the 1990s later petitioned for credit. She began receiving disability benefits in 1999.
"(The agency) does not consider the work-authorization status of the individual when they earned the wages," the inspector general's report said. "It only considers whether the individual can prove he or she paid Federal Insurance Contribution Act (FICA) taxes as part of this work."
To qualify for Social Security benefits, Mexicans must prove they worked in the United States at least 18 months. Payments are made on a prorated basis, depending on years worked in the United States. Those who work at least 10 years automatically would qualify for full benefits. Those who also worked in Mexico for a specific period of time could collect benefits in their home country, too.
U.S. companies and their American employees working in Mexico also would benefit under the agreement. By not having to pay Social Security taxes to the Mexican government, Social Security Administration officials estimate American workers and their employers would save $134 million each year.
David John, a Social Security expert with the conservative Heritage Foundation said he's disappointed the proposed agreement with Mexico has been twisted into an emotional debate over U.S. immigration policy.
"Sadly, this whole thing has been hijacked by people on both sides of an issue that must be resolved in a totally different arena," he said. "It shouldn't be part of the discussion in putting together a boring technical agreement between two countries."

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 12:53 AM
YOUR POINT

JustMVG
12-11-2003, 01:07 AM
No real point just food for thought.
Mike VG

honkey1
12-11-2003, 01:11 AM
Soon enouph America will just be northern Mexico..........

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Well i feel very strong about this subject
I know they keep produce cost down among other things.
BUT I still believe
SHOT ON SIGHT AT THE BORDER
We are the only country that wont due this
Ok
Canada
U.K.
and of course those
PUSSY ASS BITCHES FRANCE
but the rest of the world, Kill on the spot..
I AGREE

JustMVG
12-11-2003, 01:18 AM
In the story there are people that used someone elses SSN and worked, now wouldn't that be identity theft, and then to be able to collect that money, if you are here illegally, then i believe you should not be entitled to free anything, sure some of the prices of goods and services would be affected, but wouldn't you rather pay a few bucks more for somethinng if it were saving you and your state a hell of alot of money in govt. services.
My daughter tells me that a group of students are calling for a sick out at her high school to protest the repeal of the alien license bill. Almost all of the students are non white.
Amazing

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 01:27 AM
but wouldn't you rather pay a few bucks more for somethinng if it were saving you and your state a hell of alot of money in govt. services.
GOD DAMN
I ELECT YOU
I have know this for years and years but people are to scared to say it
Hell yes
THE REASON HEALTH SERVICES are so expensive is because of the aliens
HOW
birth rate
accidents
Accidents come in all forms
I can go on and on about this.........
I would rather pay 5 bucks for apple and strawberries
Then 500 For medical coverage.......

honkey1
12-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Yes but, all the liberals think that everyone gets a chance in America.
Note this will be the downfall of our country we need to close the borders now..................

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 01:35 AM
Everyone does get a chance
COME HERE LEGALLY

honkey1
12-11-2003, 01:38 AM
Several years ago I was building cabnets for ten bucks an hour then the boss hires an illegal that builds the same cabnets for four dollars an hour.. So guess who lost their job..:mad:

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 01:40 AM
I rest my case............
I consider coming to this country illegally
AN INVASION
PUNISHABLE BY DEATH...
If you dont like it
stay where the hell you are......
Oh and by the way
IM SPANISH

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 01:41 AM
Dude it was your haircut:eek!:

JustMVG
12-11-2003, 02:08 AM
I read in one of our local papers, that in one scenario, doctors and other health care workers would be required to turn in illegal's after they had been given medical care, and then the usual deportation BS and on and on, would save just LA County close to 1.7 billion a year, i'll find that article and post it, but just imagine if thats what one county can save what the rest of the state could possibly do.
Kind of off subject but Kilr i was wondering what nationality/ties is the Mrs.

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 02:14 AM
NO SECRET
I'm Spanish and White
Wife
Spanish and Black

honkey1
12-11-2003, 02:24 AM
My brothers wife is from Bulgaria and it cost him like 5000.00 to get her legal to work after getting married to her...
I'm with you kilrtoy

honkey1
12-11-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Dude it was your haircut:eek!:
Is there somthing wrong with the camaro cut.

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 02:29 AM
I guess in OK,
its alright
BUT
in L.A Well,
need I say more

honkey1
12-11-2003, 02:29 AM
While we are on this rant did you ever wonder just how many tax dollars go towards housing illegals in prison every year....When they are arested why don't they just send them back across the border.?

honkey1
12-11-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I guess in OK,
its alright
BUT
in L.A Well,
need I say more
I'm really just a fan of that movie I keep mine cut pretty close.
Your right though in Oklahoma you see quite a few mulletts.......
Still see the nose bleeder camaro's jacked up in the back too...
They always have a ROCK AND ROLL sticker in the back window...

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 02:49 AM
When they are arested why don't they just send them back across the border.?
CUZ THEY WIL COME BACK

honkey1
12-11-2003, 02:53 AM
Tru but, we are still giving them three free meals a day and free room and board.................
We should mark all illegals with mullets :D

Rexone
12-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Hey now... I've been workin hard on my mullet. :D
I hear about this crap everyday on the news. I just wonder to myself what part of "illegal" in "illegal aliens" don't these numbscull politicians understand?
I guess "illegal" is just a buzzword anymore that has no meaning. :confused: Something to be rewarded rather than deported.
Proposed government message to newly arrived illegals...
"Congratulations Mr Illegal alien for evading our weak and lame attempt to stop you from crossing our border. Please enjoy your subsidized stay here in the U.S. complete with all U.S. citizen benefits and drivers licence. If you can think of anything else you might need to make your stay here in the U.S. more beneficial please don't hesitate to ask. We are eagerly awaiting your request and have no problem increasing our own deficit to accomodate your every need."

Elk Chaser
12-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
"Congratulations Mr Illegal alien for evading our weak and lame attempt to stop you from crossing our border. Please enjoy your subsidized stay here in the U.S. complete with all U.S. citizen benefits and drivers licence. If you can think of anything else you might need to make your stay here in the U.S. more beneficial please don't hesitate to ask. We are eagerly awaiting your request and have no problem increasing our own deficit to accomodate your every need." [/B]
Well said...........
Hey, we "stole" California from Mexico a long time ago, they are just taking it back, only this time there is no war to take the land........... Ask them, they'll tell you that.... and they are laughing about it.
This is an issue that has stuck in my ass all my life, it just makes me sick to think about what the state and feds have done over the years to make it easier and easier to get away with it, and do not think the problem is isolated to the southland, just come up to apple country in Washington.... Same problem just not to the point that the white people are the minority..... Now thats the scary part to me.
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not prejudice (only against assholes and idiots) but like it has been said, illegal is illegal period.

Forkin' Crazy
12-11-2003, 07:20 AM
That's really pretty sad. I can see it here too. There is a sweet potato farm near by. They use very few local workers. They import Mexicans and put them in the old, old folks home. Then they bus them out to the fields. There is ample work force here (another miniority or as in this small town, the majority) but won't get off their ass to save their life. Too many gov. programs and give-a-ways...etc, etc.
I have seen the militant Mexicans on TV laughing about taking "their" land back. They are doing it and then some.
This is not new, the gov has been trying to give away the US. Stayed in any motel/hotels lately? Does the name Patel ring a bell? The gov. gives them subsidies to survive. Like a percentage of the rooms will be paid for whether occupied or not. There is a smaller motel in the middle of this little farming town that has an average of 2 rooms occupied per night, if that much. If it were run w/o subsidies, they would be gone over night. BTW they drive new cars and send their kids to a private school, at our expense.
The Iranians (or whatever) are doing the same thing w/ the convinient stores. Interest free loans from the government last only 5 or so years. After that, they sell it to their brother, etc.
Let an American, especially white, try that...LOL!!!

Nubbs
12-11-2003, 08:11 AM
That's a bunch of bullshit.:mad: :mad: Isn't it nice to know that illegals have more rights, benefits, and privelages than legals? I guess that's what happens when a bunch of liberal tree hugging dipshits get in office.

spectratoad
12-11-2003, 09:49 AM
I looked on the SS website the other day and in the immigration section for FAQ's the questions was:
I Question
When I came to this country, I purchased a Social Security card from someone on the street. I used it when I obtain employment. What happens to all those earnings?
Answer
It is important to understand that misuse of another individual's SSN is a violation of Federal law and may lead to fines and/or imprisonment and that disregarding the work authorization provisions printed on your Social Security card may be a violation of Federal immigration law. Violations of the Social Security Act and the Identity Theft and Assumption Deterrence Act regarding Social Security Number fraud and misuse are serious crimes and will be prosecuted.
Accordingly, each year employers send their W-2 forms to SSA and a match is performed against the name and Social Security number on the forms and SSA's records. If the information does not match, the earnings are held in a suspense file until we can determine to whom they belong. Once you have obtained authorization to work in this country from the Department of Homeland Security, and you have applied for and received your Social Security number, you should contact Social Security to have all your earnings posted to your correct SSN.
Not one frickin word about too bad or this is a crime etc... It may be a violation of Federal Immigration Law. WTF.
:mad: