PDA

View Full Version : High School Sports

Cas
12-11-2003, 09:11 AM
My son made the varsity basketball team at his High School this year which is a real good thing. He worked hard throughout the summer, running, lifting weights and playing summer ball on a team with the varsity coach. During the summer, he started most games and played more than half of all the games.
Now that he's made this team, the coach seems to have it out for my kid. He's only played about 2 minutes total in 5 games. I've been told by other parents that have been to practices that my son is by far the hardest worker on the team, he has the best temperament and very rarely complains.
Last year's coach has talked to the varsity coach about Michael not playing but nothing has changed.
My son loves the game, is good at it and is very confident. This coach has harmed Michael's psychy to the point Michael was thinking about quitting. I think I've talked him out of quitting but I don't like the fact this coach is screwing up my son's head.
Up until last year, when this coach took over, the High School varsity team was in contention for the championship for about 12 years. Last year they were 4 - 22. They're 1 - 4 so far this year but the win was ugly, ahead by 19 at the beginning of the 4th quarter, were tied with 40 secs left and only won because the other team decided to try a 3 pointer to win and missed. The whole time the other team was coming back, the coach kept the best defenders he has on the bench.
Anyway, what would you do? Say something to the coach? Annonymous letter to the newpaper? nothing?
The coach is an arrogant ass that thinks his sh*t don't stink....

JetBoatRich
12-11-2003, 09:19 AM
You have a dilemma:
you talk to him the coach could retaliate:o
you don't your son may give up:yuk:
Maybe a start-up conversation with the coach and feel him out on how well he feels your son is doing. See where it goes and then follow-up.
Kid's coaches can be pretty bad, my son just finished a football league. The coach's kid had to play every position, even if he couldn't. 8 weeks into the season he finally listened and put another kid in as QB. The REF's said where did this kid come from. He also constantly was yelling, the kids are 7-9 years old, give me a break. I was an assistant on the team and had several talks with this guy. No parents put together anything for this guy at the end of the season.:yuk:

THOR
12-11-2003, 09:22 AM
I was in the same boat as your son. I really didnt know what to do, but my parents said they would set up a P.O Box in the district for the next school over so I could play there. Once he found that out, I was a regular starter.
F&^%ing coaches like that are punks. I hate it when these guys are making the best years of being a teenager shitty.

BADBLOWN572
12-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Tough call. I would probably do an anonymous letter to the administrator of the school. If you talk to the coach, you might piss him off and take it out on your son. Go over his head, but make sure that it is difficult to track it back to you or your son.

hd&boatrider
12-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Cas
My son made the varsity basketball team at his High School this year which is a real good thing. He worked hard throughout the summer, running, lifting weights and playing summer ball on a team with the varsity coach. During the summer, he started most games and played more than half of all the games.
Now that he's made this team, the coach seems to have it out for my kid. He's only played about 2 minutes total in 5 games. I've been told by other parents that have been to practices that my son is by far the hardest worker on the team, he has the best temperament and very rarely complains.
Last year's coach has talked to the varsity coach about Michael not playing but nothing has changed.
My son loves the game, is good at it and is very confident. This coach has harmed Michael's psychy to the point Michael was thinking about quitting. I think I've talked him out of quitting but I don't like the fact this coach is screwing up my son's head.
Up until last year, when this coach took over, the High School varsity team was in contention for the championship for about 12 years. Last year they were 4 - 22. They're 1 - 4 so far this year but the win was ugly, ahead by 19 at the beginning of the 4th quarter, were tied with 40 secs left and only won because the other team decided to try a 3 pointer to win and missed. The whole time the other team was coming back, the coach kept the best defenders he has on the bench.
Anyway, what would you do? Say something to the coach? Annonymous letter to the newpaper? nothing?
The coach is an arrogant ass that thinks his sh*t don't stink....
Take it from someone who has been through the HS sports scene. Let your son deal with it. It will teach him life lessons. What are you going to do when he has a job and has a dick for a boss...you going to go talk to him also? Life is full of road blocks from people who have their own agendas. How we learn to deal with them and move forward in a positive manner is what seperates the successful people of the world. You can not make him continue to play but if he quits (which is his decision) it can set a bad precedant for his life. Yes, it is that far reaching. I know this first hand. My son played for the NY Mets scout team but decided he had enough and walked away. It is all about learning lessons at that age.

hd&boatrider
12-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
You have a dilemma:
you talk to him the coach could retaliate:o
you don't your son may give up:yuk:
Maybe a start-up conversation with the coach and feel him out on how well he feels your son is doing. See where it goes and then follow-up.
Kid's coaches can be pretty bad, my son just finished a football league. The coach's kid had to play every position, even if he couldn't. 8 weeks into the season he finally listened and put another kid in as QB. The REF's said where did this kid come from. He also constantly was yelling, the kids are 7-9 years old, give me a break. I was an assistant on the team and had several talks with this guy. No parents put together anything for this guy at the end of the season.:yuk:
Rich--I coached travel baseball as my son grew thru the ranks. I never yelled at the kids but they knew who was in control. Parents never really messed with me too much. Probably because I was the good cop and the other coach was the bad cop. If it is rec league type stuff it has to be dealt differently than travel ball or HS ball. Travel ball and HS ball is based on competition where rec ball is supposed to be geared more towards just having fun. I feel that once your kid gets to HS you have to allow him to make his own decisions and deal with his consequences. Easier said than done without a doubt. A HS coach also needs to be more than just about winning though. If they are a good coach they also try to have an influence in a positive manner in the kids life. Wether they want it or not the coach becomes a very important factor in the developement of that child. The good ones realize this while the bad coaches don't seem to care.

cola
12-11-2003, 10:03 AM
High school sports sure get you ready for the real world don't they. Don't let him quit, it will become a pattern he can do with out. Support him at home & don't bag on the coach, it's his team to run the way he likes. Like it or not. Make the best of it & your son will gain in the end. (LIFE) At work later someone will move up before him & the boss will make wrong calls, just like the coach did. It's not going to help to talk to the coach or the AD. Hope this helps, I've been through it from both sides. I was a walk-on coach for a couple of years a our high school. My kids both played HS ball & learned to deal with the BS.
Late, Mike

THOR
12-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Dont let him give up. I too played for the Ranger and Blue Jays orgainzations, and left because of the bullsht (also because I wasnt that good) and wixh I hadnt. F*&^ the coach.

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 10:08 AM
have him meet and speak with the coach one on one and see what he says
Then show up and watch the practice unannounced
make the decision for yourself.
if you honestly feel your son(DELETE THE FACT THAT HE IS YOUR SON) is good enough to play, set up a meeting with the coach and yourself.
Sometimes people dont realize what they are doing until it is pointed out......

roln 20s
12-11-2003, 10:08 AM
I agree with hd&boatrider--let your son work it out. I always played HS sports- both baseball and golf. I was pulled up to varsity baseball my soph year, and sat the bench for 3 games. I talked to the coach and asked what was my purpose if I'm not playing. Its great to be on varsity, we all work so hard for that, but as a soph, I know I just wanted to play. Have him talk to the coach, let him express his feelings and concerns, and that will have a better impact on the coach--it will increase their relationship (usually).
I definately feel you though-- I'm not a parent, but I know my stepdad has lit into my his sons soccer coach numerous times--he's now just a bigger asshole. Plus, I know that the last thing your son needs is other teammates saying stuff about "your dad has to talk to the coach, blahh blahh." Its not worth it. I know numerous HS and even middle school coaches that think they are the bomb. Needless to say, they prevent the fun, the kids don't learn, and it kills their pyschy about the sport. Exactly the opposite about what the game is about.
Good luck, and just try to continue and be the supportive parent. Quiting isn't a good option- the crap only makes you stronger.
Plus, if the team sucks- they should all play. I don't care.
Good luck.
Roln 20s

BIGTYME
12-11-2003, 10:41 AM
I agree tell him to keep playing.
I had this same situation. I hit the winning hit to beat an undefeated team, the next year that coach drafted me and I played about 2 innings a game the whole season and I was very good.
Tell your son to never give up! I will help alot in life!

Cas
12-11-2003, 10:56 AM
To add to this, I just spoke with a couple of the other parents. One of them starts and the other has been a starter for the last 3 years. The latter happens to be the son of the JV coach.
Apparently both of them are also thinking about quitting because the coach is such a dick.
The former averaged 22 pts a game his freshman year with the same coach but wasn't recognized at all at the awards ceremony. He is still holding on to that and holds it against the coach in a big way.
The consensus is getting a group of parents together to go over the feelings of the kids. Once that is done, we'll come up with an agenda to either talk to the coach about or the AD.
I appreciate all the info and opinions given. My problem was thinking about all the repercussions of every way to go with it. I believe my son should ultimately have his own choice. I believe whatever he chooses now will carry over for the rest of his life. I know if I get too involved he may very well rely on me too much in the future but.....
The way I've gone about it so far is suggested he not quit and to support the rest of his team mates moreso than anyone else. I also suggested he work as hard as he possibly can so he can somehow prove the coach wrong.
If all else fails, kick the coach in the nuts and tell him to f*ck off - Ok, so I didn't tell him that but sure felt like it.

hd&boatrider
12-11-2003, 11:02 AM
You want me to be honest and tell you what the major problem is with kids and sports today? It might hurt a few feelings.....

LaveyJet
12-11-2003, 11:02 AM
It sucks for your son but its a good life lesson and character builder. “Do what you’re supposed to and work as hard as you can” but get shafted. Don’t quit, then the coach wins. Hell even Michael Jordan rode the bench in high school

THOR
12-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
You want me to be honest and tell you what the major problem is with kids and sports today? It might hurt a few feelings.....
sure. You may want to start another thread soas not to hijack this one.

Caribbean Jet
12-11-2003, 11:28 AM
I've been a wrestling coach for about 7 years and its hard sometimes as a coach. I've had parents come right up and ask what does my son need to do to get better. Ask the coach straight up and put this on his shoulders. I know that basketball season just started. There’s time to make that starting team still. Tell your son to stick with it. That will teach him a great lesson in adversity. It sounds like your a good father, just talk to the coach and help resolve this with out taking it public with out knowing all of the facts.
I wanted to play basketball but the coach told me I should try wrestling.

hd&boatrider
12-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by THOR
sure. You may want to start another thread soas not to hijack this one.
Good point....of course my threads have been hijacked many times....lol

hd&boatrider
12-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Caribbean Jet
I've been a wrestling coach for about 7 years and its hard sometimes as a coach. I've had parents come right up and ask what does my son need to do to get better. Ask the coach straight up and put this on his shoulders. I know that basketball season just started. There’s time to make that starting team still. Tell your son to stick with it. That will teach him a great lesson in adversity. It sounds like your a good father, just talk to the coach and help resolve this with out taking it public with out knowing all of the facts.
I agree with the approach except for the fact that the student/athelete should be the one addressing the coach in my opinion.
Not only that a good coach will have let his players know that the athelete is welcome to come and discuss the situation at any time. The end result should be that the athelete strives to accomplish objective goals that benefit the individual while enhancing the teams goals which should have been set from the very first practice/meeting. A good coach sets individual and team goals for each and every participant. Other than that they are short changing everybody including the parents who will either buy into it or make things more difficult for the coach.

eliminatedsprinter
12-11-2003, 12:24 PM
I have also coached several sports at many levels and I agree with the above. I have seen many coaches like your son's.
Start out by politely asking what your son has to work on or improve in order to get more playing time. Then let him see that you are taking his advice and working on those things (even if they seem wrong to you). Make the coach think you and your son took his advice and it made your son a better player. If you can make the coach feel his ideas somehow made your son a better player chances are good he will play him a lot more.:cool:
Good luck and DON'T QUIT! If basketball is his best sport keep him in it.
P.S. Stop any and all negitive talk with the other parents. If the coach catches wind of it and thinks you are stirring up things with them this will become a pissing contest and your son will never be allowed the chance to play and prove him wrong.

uclahater
12-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
have him meet and speak with the coach one on one and see what he says
Then show up and watch the practice unannounced
make the decision for yourself.
if you honestly feel your son(DELETE THE FACT THAT HE IS YOUR SON) is good enough to play, set up a meeting with the coach and yourself.
Sometimes people dont realize what they are doing until it is pointed out......
While hes meeting with the coach have him 1. ask the coach what he needs to improve on to get more playing time 2. Not to act like hes better and should be playing 3. If he does it very diplomatically like hes the one that needs to Improve and its not the coach then the coach will respect him and help him
Just my 2 cents

Caribbean Jet
12-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
I agree with the approach except for the fact that the student/athelete should be the one addressing the coach in my opinion.
Not only that a good coach will have let his players know that the athelete is welcome to come and discuss the situation at any time. The end result should be that the athelete strives to accomplish objective goals that benefit the individual while enhancing the teams goals which should have been set from the very first practice/meeting. A good coach sets individual and team goals for each and every participant. Other than that they are short changing everybody including the parents who will either buy into it or make things more difficult for the coach.
I wish that more people thought like you. Its a little easier in Wrestling, because if there is a dispute on who is better, we just have a little throw down to see who gets it. Now this works most of the time, but there are always other factors.
I agree with hd&boatrider's opinion, have your son talk to the coach. This might show the coach that he wants to be a starter. Like I said earlier, what ever you do, don't let him quit.

hd&boatrider
12-11-2003, 01:44 PM
I wish that more people thought like you. Its a little easier in Wrestling, because if there is a dispute on who is better, we just have a little throw down to see who gets it. Now this works most of the time, but there are always other factors.
I agree with hd&boatrider's opinion, have your son talk to the coach. This might show the coach that he wants to be a starter. Like I said earlier, what ever you do, don't let him quit.
Thanks CJ...I appreciate the support there. Wrestling would make it easy to solve who is better.
I think another thing that would show thru to the coaches by the kid going to them is that he is mature and willing to discuss things. That shows leadership type qualities and varsity players that are leaders are valuable to the team.
By the way here is another thread along these lines that I posted: http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36454
Kind of long winded but it could have been much worse....lol

Havasu47
12-11-2003, 03:58 PM
I coached boys Baseball recreationally, and girls fast pitch at the National level going to two National Championships.
The last 5 or 6 posts are right on the money. There are many coaches that use their position as a soap box. High School coaches are famous for that. If your sons coach is a dick, he will always be a dick. I was always open to parents and players to come and NICELY ask what they could do to improve their skills and increase playing time. It showed alot of character.
The hardest thnig for any parent to do is be objective about their childs abilities/strenghts/weakness's. The one's that are objective are the one's that can help there children succeed the best. Go watch a couple of practices. If your son is one of the five best players on the team (in all aspects of the game) he should be starting, whatever grade he is in. If he is one of the five best, and isn't playing he should speak with his coach. The politics in HS coaching are a big problem, some coaches have the balls to play the best, some don't.
My Daughter has graduated HS and is a starting pitcher on a full ride in college. She was picked for the all tournament team in the Nationals. At one point she had 112 strike outs in 40 innings, (as a pitcher) was the lead off batter, hit from both sides of the plate, with over .400 avg. My point is, that even with her abilities she had one coach (in travelball) that felt his friends daughter should play over her. She graciously left and played for another team.
In HS you can't pick your coach. It is your son's responsibility to speak to his coach. Timing is everything. Have him do it in the coaches office when time isn't an issue (practice or game). Unfortunately, if you do it your son will probably suffer if this guy is how you describe him.
Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps.

Cas
12-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Again, thanks for all the suggestions.
Michael had this coach as a freshman also. During that year, Michael was playing a little but wasn't good enough to start. Michael asked the coach what he could do to get better and the coach said he needed to practice harder. Michael was then basically benched for 3 games......didn't play at all. I then asked the coach what was up? He told me the same thing as he had told my son. Since I was going to most of the practives at the time, I pointed out that Michael was always first in the sprints, always did what he was told and we also put out the $200.00 for the specific shoes, pants and sweater he insisted everyone wear on game day. Michael played 3 mintes of the next game and very little afterwards.
To be honest, I think the coach has held it against my son since then. I also know, bacause of the way my son is, he did not go to the coach with an attitude.
The guy is a prick, plain and simple.
In all the sports I've played and coached (baseball), it was my belief that every kid should get his chance to play. There is a time in just about every game where a person can get in to play. Especially in the friggin preseason!
The more I type and the more I think about this guy, the madder I get. Good thing my son's not here right now.

Cas
12-11-2003, 05:36 PM
One more thing, my son is the shortest kid on the team by about an inch. Over all skill, he's very much in the top half in everything except maybe his ball handling. He can do all the basics very well, he's just not into the flashy stuff.
His 3 point shot is arguably the best on the team and he'll get in there and take the lumps.
My observations are based on what I've seen and I'm really looking at it objectively. Yes, there is room for improvement as there always is but he, along with a couple of others, need their chance to play.

Cas
12-11-2003, 05:43 PM
If any of you get a chance, could you email Michael with a little encouragement? His email address is MCBaller21@aol.com
I was thinking about cutting and pasting what you've said here but it might be better coming from the real author :)
I'm sure it would make him feel better that his old man might not be quite as dumb as he may think I am. Anyone with a teenager will know exactly what I mean LOL

Coach
12-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Being a HS coach for the last 10 years I have seen a lot and heard a lot of different things. I currently am the D-coordinator for our football team, throws coach in track, have coached wrestling and soccer as well. Based upon what I am reading above the advice is all very good. Sometimes coaches don't bother to look back on what they are doing and reflect on their actions. The old saying is coach a kid they way you would want your own kids to be coached.
As for your situation it is a tough one. Your son has had the same coach for two years and from what I gather last year this came up. Does this same coach work with your son year around or is he a season only coach? The head coach is probably working with your son most of the time in the off season. Based upon what you have said I would talk with the Head coach of the program. Explain your situation and find out what his impression of your son is (attitude, behavior, etc...) during the off-season. Some times you don't always get the correct information from the kids. The head coach and speak with his lower level coaches and make changes for the better. If it seems that it is hurting your sons playing time or the coaches are harder on him then go to the AD. There are many coaches in this world that forget the major impact they have on their players. Some things said we forget about in 5 minutes and the player remembers them their whole life. Being tough and not quitting are both good things, but the damage a coach can do to a players psyche can be devastating. I would get involved and try to work something out. Many times lower level coaches are "young and dumb" and make a shit load of mistakes as they go.
I hope it works out for you and your son.

TCHB
12-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Do not get involved it will make it worse. Coach him to go and see the man and have a talk. Your boy needs to do this on his own. My daughter played high school sports at one of the best schools around (Mater Dei) and it is competive. I learned to let my daughter work it out on her own. She has learned alot the hard which has been better for her in the long run. She now looks back at her high school sports days as a learning experience. She is a senior at UCLA doing very well. She is way to busy for sports with the education she is getting.

NoCal NoBoat
12-11-2003, 06:34 PM
Cas -
Being from Concord, CA - I was eager to read, and just finished,
"When The Game Stands Tall - The Story of the De La Salle Spartans and Football's Longest Winning Streak" by Neil Hayes.
I coach youth soccer, strictly recreational, but I'm always trying to improve. I think this is a great read for coaches, parents, and student athletes. I'm sure that there is not an answer to your specific issue in there, but I'm also pretty sure that you would enjoy the book.
IMO - it should be mandatory reading for your son's coach. I'd send him my copy, but Amazon is out of stock right now...
Best Wishes for A Better Season !

Coach
12-11-2003, 06:49 PM
NoCal NoBoat
Another great book is A Season of Life. They just did a feature on the book on Real Sports and I went on line and got a copy. I can say it might be the most important thing I have ever read. It is by far the best book I have ever read. My wife who is not a football fan (funny that I am a football coach) endup reading it with a day after I told her about what priciples were being taught. Sorry didn't want to hi-jack this thread.A Season of Life (http://www.seasonoflife.com)

hd&boatrider
12-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by NoCal NoBoat
Cas -
Being from Concord, CA - I was eager to read, and just finished,
"When The Game Stands Tall - The Story of the De La Salle Spartans and Football's Longest Winning Streak" by Neil Hayes.
I coach youth soccer, strictly recreational, but I'm always trying to improve. I think this is a great read for coaches, parents, and student athletes. I'm sure that there is not an answer to your specific issue in there, but I'm also pretty sure that you would enjoy the book.
IMO - it should be mandatory reading for your son's coach. I'd send him my copy, but Amazon is out of stock right now...
Best Wishes for A Better Season !
A very good game coming up next year for De La Salle will be against Mission Viejo down here in S CA. Mark it on your calendar. Mission Viejo has been kicking everybodys butt down here for the last 3 years. Of course DLS has that very impressive win streak but next year it definitely can be broken. N CA against S CA......YOU make the call....lol

hd&boatrider
12-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Cas
If any of you get a chance, could you email Michael with a little encouragement? His email address is MCBaller21@aol.com
I was thinking about cutting and pasting what you've said here but it might be better coming from the real author :)
I'm sure it would make him feel better that his old man might not be quite as dumb as he may think I am. Anyone with a teenager will know exactly what I mean LOL
CAS....I sent him a couple of em's....One was humorous...

Cas
12-11-2003, 09:23 PM
I'll take DLS :)
Thanks for the book recommendations, I'm going to try to get to Barnes & Nobles in the next couple of days.
Michael just got home from the first game of a tournament. They lost 68-42 and he said it wasn't even that close....62-22 at the start of the 4th quarter. The beloved coach has now extended his glorious record to 14-65 for his career.
Michael got in the game with about a minute left to play. Didn't get his hands on the ball....oh well.

hd&boatrider
12-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Cas
I'll take DLS :)
Of course you would...By the way...semnd more water please...lol

Cas
12-11-2003, 10:05 PM
send more water my ass!
The state needs to split so you can pay for the stuff :eek!:

moneypit
12-11-2003, 10:56 PM
I am around high school sports on a daily basis. I treat athletes at the same school that I attended. I have heard this story way to many times. Many parents beleive that the coah is out to get their son or daughter.
First dont approach the coach or write any letters. It will only fall back in your lap and it will affect your son. The first person thatyou should contact is the schools Athletic Diretor. You should let him or her know your concerns. And that your son may not be playing not because of his talent but because of a personal situation.
Also many parents beleve that their kid is actually better than they are. Its not youth sports anymore. So the best kid plays. Not the hardest worker. (im not implying this to your situation).
All you can be glad of is that your son did in fact make the team. I would think that if the coach didnt like your kid, he wouldnt even be on the team. Basketball is a long season, w/ many tournaments. He will get his chance to play... Is he a junior or a senior? There is always next year. When he gets his chance to xhine then he needs to take advantage of it.
But by all means dont be a fool and cause a problem for your child.. Sit back and relax. He will get his shot. Its a great learning opportunity for him. One of lifes lessons.
I was involved in a situation in my life where I should have made the Pony Baseball all stars. The coachs kid sucked but made the team. Later in High School I went on the start for the team and his kid didnt even make the team. I started at Quarterback and Catcher. I got full ride opportunities to Oregon St. Hawaii, Washington State. Things played out for me. My dad was very involved in my athletics, but when it came to situations like this he let things play out by themselves. Those situations made me a better person. Keeps you working hard and you never take anything for granted.
Good luck!

totenhosen
12-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Cas
One more thing, my son is the shortest kid on the team by about an inch. Over all skill, he's very much in the top half in everything except maybe his ball handling. He can do all the basics very well, he's just not into the flashy stuff.
His 3 point shot is arguably the best on the team and he'll get in there and take the lumps.
My observations are based on what I've seen and I'm really looking at it objectively. Yes, there is room for improvement as there always is but he, along with a couple of others, need their chance to play.
Being someoe who played professional basketball let me give you some things that I see.
1. I argree with the other post is that ever parent thinks there kids is the best. Go to a practice with a buddy who will not automatically favor your son to make in unbiased judgement.
2. You mention that your kid is the shortest on the team and yet is not even in the top half in ball handling. That is a big problem right there. Being the shortest he would typically play PG. If he can't handle the ball thats bad and he becomes a liability. Whats the point of having a good three point shot if you can't get it off.
3. Just because a player works hard in practice and finishes the drills first does not mean he should play over others unless he is a better player.
With all that said my suggestion is that with your kids hard work ethic it will pay off for him in other areas of life. If he has so more years left in high school he should continue working hard (especially on his handling) and he can prove to the coach that he is a better player and warrants the playing time. Real players get better in the offseason. If he wants to get better have him play with the brothers or even adults. Playing with people better and stronger than you will help his game out immensely

Cas
12-12-2003, 08:22 AM
toten,
I mentioned his ball handling, it was because he's not flashy but he's real good with tht basics. With flashy I mean he's not making the behind the back passes, dribbling between the legs or behind the back. He can do it but doesn't feel it's necessary.
In any case, I appreciate your input, more real good suggestions. He's already been working on his ball handling and you're correct, he plays either #1 or #2 guard.
Thing is, I'm not pushing to get my son to start. When I said he's in the top half in skills and ability, unfortunately, the guys in front of him all play the same position. I just think every kid should get his/her chance to play, there's many reasons for it. With that though, the kid should get a "real" chance to play, not just a few token minutes or plays.

Cas
12-12-2003, 08:32 AM
thanks HD!
He got a kick out of the humorous one but said "you really think they would really come" :D

totenhosen
12-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Cas
Thing is, I'm not pushing to get my son to start. When I said he's in the top half in skills and ability, unfortunately, the guys in front of him all play the same position. I just think every kid should get his/her chance to play, there's many reasons for it. With that though, the kid should get a "real" chance to play, not just a few token minutes or plays.
I understand your frustration. But unfortunately high school sports isn't like AYSO or Little League that everyone gets guaranteed minutes. If he's not a senior maybe ask to be moved down to JV so that he can get some playing time and show the varsity coach that he can play.

hd&boatrider
12-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Cas
thanks HD!
He got a kick out of the humorous one but said "you really think they would really come" :D
I thought he might like that :)

Cas
12-12-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by totenhosen
I understand your frustration. But unfortunately high school sports isn't like AYSO or Little League that everyone gets guaranteed minutes. If he's not a senior maybe ask to be moved down to JV so that he can get some playing time and show the varsity coach that he can play.
tote,
That's another strange thing, the JV coach has told the varsity coach that he would like to have Michael back on the JV team. The varsity coach won't do it. Everyone is kind of dumbfounded on what's going on.
The JV coach was a former pro player and his assistant was a part of the UCLA dynasty teams of the 70's. Both of them think Michael should be playing also.
Strange situation

totenhosen
12-12-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Cas
tote,
That's another strange thing, the JV coach has told the varsity coach that he would like to have Michael back on the JV team. The varsity coach won't do it. Everyone is kind of dumbfounded on what's going on.
The JV coach was a former pro player and his assistant was a part of the UCLA dynasty teams of the 70's. Both of them think Michael should be playing also.
Strange situation
Small world. My coach in college was Michael Holton who played at UCLA and I worked out with Marques Johnson. Maybe it's time you talked to the atheletic director and tell him you'd like your son to play JV so that he gets some game time experience. But this my set him up for a downfall when he is ready for varsity next year.