PDA

View Full Version : Surfers here?

Back Forty
12-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Any opinions on a Gordon and Smith Long board?
;)

Kilrtoy
12-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Thats old school

HOOTER SLED-
12-12-2003, 12:04 PM
hang ten bra

1Bahnerjet
12-12-2003, 12:08 PM
Its Old School & New School at the Same Time ;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/4312-12-03_2_.jpg

hboldno7
12-12-2003, 12:10 PM
What are the demensions ?

1Bahnerjet
12-12-2003, 12:16 PM
Hey wait a minute There's no Surf in Ohio :rolleyes:

Infomaniac
12-12-2003, 12:18 PM
I did my share of surfing when I lived in Hawaii.
Had a nice board from Hawaiian Island Creations.

1Bahnerjet
12-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Well, you know what Surfers say....
If you don't Surf now you never did.

Infomaniac
12-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Pretty tuff to surf in Oklahoma.
I am a surfer has been

1Bahnerjet
12-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Must be hard to Surf in Ohio but Back Forty still askin'
I myself never did Surf for 15yrs. :rolleyes:
Still have the last Board I Bought hanging in the Garage.

Back Forty
12-12-2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks everyone. No this is for my sister down in Florida on the Gulf coast. I bought her a skim board before I left for the military out of highschool in '94. She has been at it ever since but has been on the shorter boards. She had a custom made for her a couple of years ago but I don't think she likes it so much and is ready to move to a new piece. I talked to her about the long boards several times and I think she is ready!!!
She is married now and has a little girl. I think the Brother'n law would rather see her never leave the house:rolleyes: . He forgot to notice before he married her that she loves fishing, surfing, painting and dam near everything the like. I don't think she is even allowed to spend her own cash anymore...:mad:
But thats what a good brother is for:D .
I have been talking to G and S about a custom for her. I think they are going to take care of her really well.:wink:
I should have things rolling before the end of next week. It'll take them 5 to 6 weeks to get it out the door once they start. I'm pretty stoked!!!

1Bahnerjet
12-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Well thats pretty COOL. :cool:

ROZ
12-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Once she gets it, she should wait an additional 2 weeks to cure before she gets it wet. Unless the 5 to 6 includes a long cure time....
We use to have a G&S MFG here in Vista a while back... A LONG while back :)
I'm having a 9'10" 3 3/8" stringed egg made here real soon. Jimmy Cahn! The craftsmanship in the 10footer he made for my brother is off the hook. Not one glass blemish of missanded foam at all
He made a 7'2" fun board last year for me( When he was NIAS surfbards) and it ROCKS!

Back Forty
12-12-2003, 01:47 PM
This is going to be around 9' and layed up considering her weight, height and so forth.
Actually this is her Christmas present even though it will sort of be belated. I'm sure it will be worth it. My family does the draw a name from the hat thing each year and I finally got my sisters name. I've been waiting for this chance for a while. I had her husbands name last year and got him a "Drop light" for the garage..! :rolleyes: :D :D :D
I'd like to be there to see his face when she's installing the new roof rack on the station wagon... :wink:

Caribbean Jet
12-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Gordon and Smith long boards carry a very good reputation. My buddy just bought a 9'4" Robert August Epoxy surfboard. That is classic and new all wrapped into one. The board is beautiful.
The epoxy boards are strong and light. My next board will be epoxy.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
12-12-2003, 02:14 PM
BackForty,
You sound like a really cool brother to have. I am sure your sis is gonna be stoked!

lardog_hb
12-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Buying an expensive custom board for a beginner is not such a good idea. They get beat up and if they don't end up liking it
the money will be wasted. A much better choice would be a soft
board. They are safer for her and the daughter to use. And the have a pretty high resale. Just my 2 cents.
Dude from Huntington Beach..:cool:

superdave013
12-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
I did my share of surfing when I lived in Hawaii.
Had a nice board from Hawaiian Island Creations.
I wonder if yours was made in Hawaii? Shoreline fiberglass in Hermosa Beach,CA was pumping those out as fast as they could the last time I was over there. And that was a long time ago. Bob at shoreline helped me with some glass work in one of my flatbottoms.

superdave013
12-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Oh, hanging on the wall in my shop I have the coolest G & S skateboard that I got when I was around 13. :)

Tom Foolery
12-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Once she gets it, she should wait an additional 2 weeks to cure before she gets it wet. Unless the 5 to 6 includes a long cure time....
I 've spoke with a lot of shapers/glassers & they have all told me that by the time the sander is done with it & you finally get it, a sufficient cure time has already passed. Personally I've never waited over 12 hrs to ride a new board.

Tom Foolery
12-12-2003, 03:57 PM
As far as G&S boards, I'd say they are no better and no worse than the rest. Large companies like G&S, Channel Islands, Rusty etc. all have ghost shapers who do most of the work that the public buys, the latter two use computer shaped blanks to rough out the boards while a team of young guys finish them up. There is nothing wrong with this, I just wouldn't pay more for the name G&S. You could get a board of equal quality from some of the local guys too.

C-2
12-13-2003, 12:48 AM
My father in-law still shapes em' by hand...Russell in Newport. Too bad I live in the 909 (soon to be 951)! :D :D

ROZ
12-13-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Tom Foolery
I 've spoke with a lot of shapers/glassers & they have all told me that by the time the sander is done with it & you finally get it, a sufficient cure time has already passed. Personally I've never waited over 12 hrs to ride a new board.
Hummm... I've had a few different guys build me boards, and was told by all three that I should wait a couple weeks. Maybe it was because I had the board in my hands the momment they were done... I thought it was a rule of thumb....
You're absolutely right on the ghost shapers. Jim use to pump out boards for Spider , Rusty, and a few others...

Wicky
12-13-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
Oh, hanging on the wall in my shop I have the coolest G & S skateboard that I got when I was around 13. :)
Was it a green and black "FiberFlex?"

SDLifesaver
12-13-2003, 06:13 AM
G&S is a nice board. You will pay for any recognized name vs. an underground or non advertised shaper. If you like the board, buy it. If you want a true custom surfboard, from a well known shaper in the San Diego area PM me and I will give you his info. As far as boards curing, when I was a kid I would put my boards in the rafters in my garage for 3 days inside a board bag. The warmer air I was told made the resin and glass bind better. Do I believe that now. NO. Like somebody else wrote, by the time you get the board, it has set at least a week laminated. I surf them the day I get em now. Good luck

Back Forty
12-13-2003, 08:00 AM
Mrs. Bordsmnj Thanks. I have to make up for all of the "Older Brothering" I did as a kid. ;)
lardog_hb, She has been at it for almost ten years now and still kicks several times a week with her little daughter on the sand keeping tabs..! (attended of course) She lived right on the beach for several years. Though just enjoying life and not some sort of professional competitor, I think she may qualify as more than a greeny... :idea2:
I believe you people about the for better or worse. I think I will stick with the G & S. For me, it's a once in a while chance to do stuff like this. I'm willing to push a few extra sawbucks. Thanks for all of your intput.

Infomaniac
12-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
I wonder if yours was made in Hawaii? Shoreline fiberglass in Hermosa Beach,CA was pumping those out as fast as they could the last time I was over there. And that was a long time ago. Bob at shoreline helped me with some glass work in one of my flatbottoms.
Yea it was. That was about 1976. there was only one HIC back then.
Wood shop project in school in Hawaii was to make a Skim board. Those things were a blast.

silver surfer
12-13-2003, 02:19 PM
I would call up some local shapers in the Gulf Coast area, or near her favorite surf spot. Find out if she is serving a beach break, reef, sandbar, etc. I am not familiar with surf in her area, but this is the hurricane season in the Gulf Coast and they can produce some MACDADDY waves.
I have a Pearson Arrow, Josh Mohr, that kicks ass! Very lightweight, high performance longboard. You can check out the Arrow at the 5th Street Surf shop in H.B.
Pick up the October and November Longboard magazine. The past two issues have included pictures of all the manufactures, shapers, with telephone numbers.
Have you looked into shipping the board to Florida? A longboard shipped can cost some serious dinero.
G'Day

TRG
12-13-2003, 04:53 PM
personally i'd rather if it were me buying the board myself, ide talk to some shapers down in her neck of the woods as their surf is totally diff. than here on the west coast , here they are shaped for the more steeper waves with more rocker and as for the east coast, the boards would be made alot wider and with less rocker, due to the shape and lack of waves(wind swell)! as for the comment on waiting a period of time before use.... come on!!!
ive got some oceanfront property in az that ill let go real cheap too!! lol!

Back Forty
09-17-2004, 11:16 AM
I figured I would dig this old thread up.
My Sister has had her board for several months now. I just got an email from her. Sounds like at least somebody's enjoying this hurricane weather.
I've seen the new board now and am very impressed with the finished product. Visually there are zero imperfections. Absolutely beautiful. I had them do it in a bright red with the normal G & S markings in white. The shaper did the usual id work on the stringer and then added a "Hand made for..."
I had them incorporate some of my art type work in the gel and it turned out perfect. G & S did right!. As far as the board doing it's intended job, thats all I've heard about from the Sister. Her last board which was shaped locally didn't come close I guess. Anyway, she's down there getting her head wet as much as possible with the hurricanes rolling through.
Here's the email:
Hi Chris! How are you doing? I'm looking forward to you coming down on the
30th.
I've been out surfing the last couple of days. Tuesday was awesome, I was
surfing with
my beatiful red long board on waves that were perfect! There was no current
in the water,
no chop, nothing but sets of waves coming in that were waist high to chest
high. Man that board was made for those waves, it was incredible. I was able
to do anything I could think of, I was
cross stepping to the nose and hanging five (no problem)getting rides that
were a block long.
There is kind of pecking order in surfing, and I was the Queen of the
waves!! Out of at least
20 surfers I was surfing second best, the other guy Matt gets to travel surf
a lot. It was cool,
that meant if I was going for a wave when others were they would back off
and give me the wave,
I felt like the leader, all eyes were on me, and all I was doing was having
unreal fun. I was having
so much fun that I would actually let out a hoot while surfing on the
awesome waves, it was
like everything was so easy that I could just enjoy it! I've never surfed
That good before. One
guy said, You surf really good, I said, What? He said , you surf really
good, I said thanks, no one
has ever told me that before. What a memory! Yesterday was different! The
current was sooo
strong, but still no chop, the waves were head high, I got some good rides
on big waves but after
two hours of paddleing just to stay in the same spot i was exhausted! I
ended up going over by the pier where I could stand on the sandbar and catch
waist high waves. It was a bear to paddle back there though. after a while I
went back to the head high wave, but it turned out that when I caught the
wave and got to my feet I was to exhausted to stand all the way up so I
started to paddle towards the beach to go back to the pier when another wave
came from behind and picked
me up, usually when that happens I just stand up and surf it all of the way
in to the beach but I couldn't even stand up on this wave! I reallized that
my exitment and adrenaline was the only thing
that could handle going back out, so I left. Again having an awesome day.
Well, I'll talk to you later.
Somebody's a happy camper. :)
Thanks for all of your suggestions!

superdave013
09-17-2004, 11:33 AM
bad ass!

WILDERTHANU
09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
:rollside: GOOD TO SEE WE HAVE SOME SUFERS ON THE BOARDS...JUST GOT A BRAND NEW WAVE TOOLS.....SICK!!

BarryMac
09-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Al Merrick, Channel Islands, he shapes for some of the worlds best pro surfers, Rob Machado being one of them. I personally have a 9'0"tri fin thruster, fun ass board, pretty fast for a long board...
gjb

surfer2001
09-17-2004, 01:45 PM
I've been riding Becker Surfboards for several years now. i have four total.. The LC3 shape is really nice i have a 7.10 & 8.6 both are excellent. Beckers are usually 50 ~ 60 bucks less that everybody else. I shaped about 100 boards back in the 70's, so I know exactly what makes a board work. Beckers are hard to beat.
just my .02 cents