PDA

View Full Version : The flu+panic, WTF?

bigq
12-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Is it just me or are people in a panic about getting this vaccine? First from what I understand it does not even stop you from getting the flu, it makes the symptoms more bearable.
Now we are almost out and people are pissed. Thanks to government intervention into the companies that make vaccine we only have like 5 companies to produce vaccines, see what happens when we remove profit, duh.:confused:

gnarley
12-12-2003, 02:26 PM
From what I heard the vaccine they made for this year isn't even for this strain of flu, though it can help. The CDC picked the wrong strain this year to make its vaccine from so this is what they got. I guess the uninformed would rather have something than nothing. Wash your hands all the time after touching anything that is public & stay away form people who show symptoms of being sick.

ratso
12-12-2003, 02:45 PM
No flu shot for me, I know about half a dozen people who got a shot and still came down sick, matter of fact one couple I know rushed their child to the emergency room last night, started giving him breathing treatments and have him under one of those "tents":frown:

rvrtoy
12-12-2003, 02:49 PM
I think the media has blown this entire flu epademic out of proportion. Do we have a flu season every year? Do elderly folks and people with health problems die from the flu every year? Yes and Yes. Not to be insensative but why is everbody in such a panic this year? Is there not a new strain of the flu every year?
I hope everyone stays healthy and takes care of themselves this winter. Especially the women. I can't wait to see those thongs on the water come spingtime.:D

Rexone
12-12-2003, 03:40 PM
The media blows everything out of proportion. Slow news day.
We get 1/8 inch of rain and they're on "STORM WATCH" with reporters stationed everywhere watching and reporting the drizzel and interviewing people walking by how the drizzel is affecting their workday. A bunch of morons I tell you.

fourspeednup
12-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by gnarley
From what I heard the vaccine they made for this year isn't even for this strain of flu, though it can help. The CDC picked the wrong strain this year to make its vaccine from so this is what they got. I guess the uninformed would rather have something than nothing. Wash your hands all the time after touching anything that is public & stay away form people who show symptoms of being sick.
Careful, it's an airborne virus, just washing your hands won't do it. Get a mask like Jackos and you'll be fine
:D :D

eliminatedsprinter
12-12-2003, 04:10 PM
As a health peofessional I got my flu shot back in late oct at my work. There are a bunch of strains going around and as it turns out the shot doesn't specifically target the strain many people are getting. However, it does protect against many of the strains that are around. Every year the people who make the vacs have to basically make an educated guess as to what to include in the vac. Most years they do very well. This year they missed one. It is true that many people esp the media are overreacting to this threat. It is also true that this years flu is worse than most and should not be taken lightly. Last week I tried to get my son in for his flu shot, but his MD was all out and her office said they couldn't think of anyone who would have any in our area until jan.
I wish I had gotten him vaccinated sooner.