PDA

View Full Version : How do you wash your boat cover?

RexRathburn
12-12-2003, 04:06 PM
Do you take it to a laundry mat and wash it in an industrial size washer? Or, do you just hose the damn thing off?

jackpunx
12-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Good question.. I was waiting for someone else to ask:D

MudPumper
12-12-2003, 04:07 PM
I just hose it off.

phebus
12-12-2003, 04:09 PM
I use my pressure washer with the widest pattern nozzle so I don't rip it. Works great.

Infomaniac
12-12-2003, 04:10 PM
on the boat with a scrub brush

RexRathburn
12-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the replies!
Ya, I kinda felt like a jackass asking, but what the hell...

MudPumper
12-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Hey, if you don't know, you gotta ask!!!

phebus
12-12-2003, 04:17 PM
By the way, if you do it off the boat, have someone help you. The elastic in the sides make it impossible for you to hold it straight and clean at the same time.

eliminatedsprinter
12-12-2003, 04:21 PM
So far I have just brushed off and/or shaken mine out dry.

hboldno7
12-12-2003, 04:36 PM
I put mine in the big ol industrial washer at the laundy mat in cold water and I air dry it.

BADBLOWN572
12-12-2003, 04:40 PM
What I usually do is to put it in the washer at the laundromat and when it gets out instantly put it on the boat and let it dry on the boat. Otherwise it will often shrink and cause a problem. Don't worry about getting too much water in the boat because the spin cycle takes care of it.

Waldo
12-12-2003, 04:52 PM
I had been wondering also. Good replies.

Dave C
12-12-2003, 05:00 PM
I use my toothbrush. six months later I almost got one corner done....;)

CA Stu
12-12-2003, 05:08 PM
I have one of those $500+ Westmoreland Sunbrella covers, less than 18 months old, and I managed to rip the focker. Right above one of the strap attachemnt points.
Anyone else had one of these take a shit and got it warranteed?
Thanks
CA Stu

Starloans
12-12-2003, 06:07 PM
I have an inclined driveway. I hose the driveway and then spread the cover out, take some laundry soap and a push broom and scrub it. Rinse and hang it on a long fence. I would use a pressure washer also if I had one. But the hose seems to work ok. I usually get my GF to help me. :D

Rexone
12-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Starloans
I have an inclined driveway. I hose the driveway and then spread the cover out, take some laundry soap and a push broom and scrub it. Rinse and hang it on a long fence. I would use a pressure washer also if I had one. But the hose seems to work ok. I usually get my GF to help me. :D
I do it this way too and just let it air dry in the sun.
Whatever you do don't put em in the dryer...they shrink just enough not to fit the boat. Putting it on the boat to dry sounds like an excellent idea too.

Flying Tiger
12-12-2003, 06:29 PM
I put it on the boat, and use a carwash brush with a shot of citris (orange) carpet cleaner in a bucket of water.
The citris carpet cleaner has a chemical smell, pleasant but chemical smell none the less, that repels our cat who likes to commit his final ritual of death on gophers, mice and birds on the cover.
Gophers are a huge problem in my neighborhood, and the cat is essential, doing what he's paid for.
It repels all other pests too.

Mandelon
12-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
I do it this way too and just let it air dry in the sun.
Whatever you do don't put em in the dryer...they shrink just enough not to fit the boat. Putting it on the boat to dry sounds like an excellent idea too.
You get Starloans' girlfriend to help you? Damn. For a guy with no catalog you're good. :D :D :D

Rivertoys
12-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Is there any coating or UV protection on a standard sunbrella type cover? My point is, do we have to worry about washing off anything that protects the cover or helps with the water tightness?
My old cover, on my jet boat, I'd do the hose on the driveway thing, but I now have a smaller driveway and larger cover! ;)
So I'm thinking about different methods as well.
RTJas :D

Mandelon
12-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Next time you launch just put in on the bottom of the boat, instead of the top.... :rolleyes: :D :D
Actually I was wondering how also, mine has alot of ash on it from the fires we had around here.

Rivertoys
12-12-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Next time you launch just put in on the bottom of the boat, instead of the top.... :rolleyes: :D :D
I thought you just leave the cover on, leave the boat strapped to the trailer, and back it in until the whole thing is under water, then pull it out....repeat twice, or until clean..... :D

LASERRAY
12-12-2003, 11:15 PM
They Make Boat Covers ???:confused: :confused: :confused: :D

JetBoatRich
12-12-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Rivertoys
I thought you just leave the cover on, leave the boat strapped to the trailer, and back it in until the whole thing is under water, then pull it out....repeat twice, or until clean..... :D
:idea2: :idea2:
I think this has been tried

Keithb87
12-13-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Rivertoys
I was gonna say that... Looks like I'm not the only smart ass on this board... :(
Hell I thought I was Exclusive. :D :D

12-13-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by hboldno7
I put mine in the big ol industrial washer at the laundy mat in cold water and I air dry it.
Throw in a couple big scoops of that Oxy-Clean shit or something similar, it gets rid of any mold or mildew hiding in the stitching or hard to get places.

RiverRatMike
12-13-2003, 08:21 AM
I let the rain wash mine!

burtandnancy
12-13-2003, 08:53 AM
My canvas man (Custom Canvas - Montclair, CA) recommends the commercial laundry, spin only, then let dry to fit on the boat. He also suggests that most chemicals don't effect the canvas but may attack the cotton thread for what this is worth...