PDA

View Full Version : Dodge drivetrain problems

vdrivenman
12-13-2003, 06:09 AM
after a trip to SD,Wym,Co pulling our 33ft. SUT w 2 Harleys in it at about 9000lbs. the drivetrain in our 2003 3/4 Hemi has taken a DUMP. the trip worked the motor & drivetrain over pretty good.
they changed the ENTIRE rearend, but were unable to fix the problem so now we have a new 2004 one ton dually with the h/o cummins. already gotten it flashed and put a k/n filter on it.
anyone else experience any problems with the hemi set up ?
we pulled the same set up for two years w a 2001 dodge one ton dually cummins w no problems !

Outnumbered
12-13-2003, 08:22 AM
The NEW Hemi is a new design and that scares me a little. It will take a few years to see how it holds up.
Also, one of the main reasons I was afraid of buying that set up is that I believe the tranny is the same one behind the 4.7L Durango motor. Its a good light duty tranny and we had no problems with our 2001 Durango 4.7 pulling our 21' boat and my 97 Jeep (not at same time). It just seems the Hemi is too powerfull for that set-up. That is a pretty big trailer and the diesel set up is way more stout. You should have no problems with it. Go to any of the diesel boards and you will hear 90% good things about the Dodge diesels and a lot of those guys claim to be pulling some pretty big loads.
BTW, you didn't mention the exact problem you are having. Motor and rear end problems? Tranny?
Good luck,
OL

vdrivenman
12-14-2003, 07:00 AM
we originally thought it was the rearend. it would windup before going into gear and made a loud clunk(if that is a word) when in gear. so the entire rearend was replaced,including the axles.
took it down off the rack,put it in gear and did the same thing.
then the confusion began. we are dodge people friends & family.
they knew we were very disappointed with the truck performance,gas mileage, and now the problems. so they got us out of it.
the motor & drivetrain had to work extremely hard on our trip.
when it would down shift under a load, i feared the whole drivetrain was going to come loose.
the power band is just to narrow on the hemi.shifted in/out way to often.
this is the 3/4 heavy duty model w a 373 posi gear. the truck did fine down here in the flatland of the gulfcoast, but once we hit the mountions it suffered.

fourspeednup
12-14-2003, 03:28 PM
The hemi makes great power, but it's still only a 5.7 liter. That just seems a little small for a 3/4 ton setup. Like you said about the constant gear changes, it can work when it's in its power band but doesn't have the broad torque curve of a bigger motor. Glad to gear you're back to the diesel world:D