PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Find A Boat....

Tab
12-14-2003, 02:44 PM
The wife and I and our two kids(9 and 7 yr's old) need a boat to take to the Havasu, (ocean some?), Etc. to entertain ourselves and our friends. My friends have Lavey Crafts, Eliminators, Cobras, etc. that range between 24' and 28'. Some are v-bottoms and some are cat's. Engines range from 496-ho to twin 496-ho's. I'd like to get something along these lines but......V or cat?.....Open cuddy, open bow, or party deck?.....Who provides the MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK single engine boat in these catagories? Why is it that some forums discuss Pantera, Sonic, Activator, Joker,........Then others discuss Eliminator, Lavey Craft, Htm, Warlock....I realize that there is a East coast West coast thing But...because I'm on the West coast, should I ignore the East coast boats? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

fourspeednup
12-14-2003, 02:52 PM
What kind of $$$$$$ we lookin at spending?
(notice how I said WE, it's a big family in here)

Tab
12-14-2003, 03:01 PM
I can't see spending more than $50k used, or maybe $65k new.

Back To Havasu
12-14-2003, 03:09 PM
If you can wait that long, the L.A. Boat show is usually in early February, and has most of the brands mentioned on these boards. You and yours can look at your leisure, all under one roof, price the new rides, and go from there. Just a thought.:)

phebus
12-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Back To Havasu
If you can wait that long, the L.A. Boat show is usually in early February, and has most of the brands mentioned on these boards. You and yours can look at your leisure, all under one roof, price the new rides, and go from there. Just a thought.:)
The L.A. boat show is early this year. Starts Jan. 24th.

Tab
12-14-2003, 03:31 PM
Waiting is not a problem......I'm looking for sweet deal so I must be patient. The big question is what boat is the best value given what I've described my friends are in?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-14-2003, 03:36 PM
Once you figure out exactly what you want the boat to do for you...example; fishing, skiing, haulin your buds, haulin ass, haulin ass in the ocean, whatever the case may be....you should be able to figure out what kind of boat would suit you best.
That being said,,,BUY USED heres why,
Unlike the sound of a 10 year old car, (which are usually driven daily) its not uncommon to find a 10 year old boat with very low hours and a much nicer price tag.
Check the listings 50gs will go a long way.
Just my .02 cents.

77charger
12-14-2003, 03:43 PM
24-26ft v bottom will do the job for both ocean and havasu.A cat will be good for strait line speed in the lake but the v will out do it in the ocean.Engine bigger is better for a big boat

Tab
12-14-2003, 03:46 PM
The attributes you mention are those I'm interested in. And I agree.....I'll probably do better buying used.....But....shy of acutally riding in all of the boats I mentioned(and those I haven't),...should I be looking at v-bottom or cat? Then....who's boats are the best value?(silly question... I know, but let's bat it around a little.

LeavinOn6
12-14-2003, 03:50 PM
check out www.boattrader.com you can do a search and put in what you want, even a few bank repos on there, best advise is to have your funds ready so you can jump on a sweet deal, but don't get in any hurry, get what you want

25 Eagle
12-14-2003, 04:04 PM
I can put you and your family in a nice used Eliminator.

Skaterfast
12-14-2003, 04:11 PM
Two words.Cat and Skater.If you want to go faster on less horse power,get better gas mileage,and handle the rough better,get a cat and the best cat out there is a Douglas Marine Skater.If you want to go one up on that then put a couple of Merc outboards on it.Everybody has good advice here and I espeacialy like having a boat load of cash in hand and going low ball when you first see the boat.Good luck.

LASERRAY
12-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Tab
I can't see spending more than $50k used, or maybe $65k new. That's alot of money to pay for a used boat when you can get a new one for less then that depending on your requirements. Asking someone to recommend a brand of boat is like asking someone about their child, It's hard to get an unbiased opinion. Everybody loves what they have (most of us do anyway). Just take your time and do your due diligence, research each boat throughly, visit the different companys several times, ask questions, wait until you can't wait any longer, and then wait some more. Pick up a copy of this months and next months ***boat and read the evaluations, and vist these forums daily until you feel that you can make an informed decision.
And by all means, GO TO THE L.A. BOAT SHOW! Alot of your questions will be answered there. As far as east vs. west, I tend to lean towards the west coast builders. I just prefer them overall.

Havasu Hangin'
12-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by 25 Eagle
I can put you and your family in a nice used Eliminator.
But does it have the Checkers option?

Tab
12-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the REAL feedback guys. Your right.....I'm kidding myself thinking that I might get some sort of "this boat is the only boat for your needs" response to my inquiry. I'll keep asking questions, go to the boat show and when it hits me I'll buy. In the mean time, I'll be tuned in for any you suggestions you all may have. Thanks

TCHB
12-14-2003, 04:54 PM
1. The bigger the boat the better.
2. Stick to name brand boats for resale.
3. 496 HO
4. The cuddy is nice for the kids
5. I would stay with a V bottom (Insurance Cheaper)
6. Deck Boats are nice (Conquest & Eliminator)
Buy a used new boat if you can. Good Luck!
Hey guys how are the tunnel deck boats on insurance $$$$$$$??

LASERRAY
12-14-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Tab
Thanks for the REAL feedback guys. Your right.....I'm kidding myself thinking that I might get some sort of "this boat is the only boat for your needs" response to my inquiry. I'll keep asking questions, go to the boat show and when it hits me I'll buy. In the mean time, I'll be tuned in for any you suggestions you all may have. Thanks
GOOD LUCK!:cool:

PerfectionDtail
12-14-2003, 08:36 PM
I have this for sale!!! It's a good deal and a super clean boat with not problems. I have a thread in the Hot Boat section named ------- "Baby on the way, must sell 2001 Magic Wizard." ------ Take a look and let me know if you have ANY questions. These boats do great at Havasu and the ocean, however this one has been in freshwater only!

rivercrazy
12-15-2003, 09:13 AM
I was basically looking for pretty much what you are describing here. We ended up with a Shockwave 25 Tremor. Its pretty much the biggest 25 out there and performs as good as any other competing 25. Tons of room and very versitile. We've had it in big water in Mohave, Havasu, Parker, and ocean run to Catalina.

shockwavebd
12-15-2003, 09:23 AM
You will get a better deal if you buy before the boat show,
Plus I know where theres a very nice 25 for sell....03.. 496 ho with all the bells and whistles :D

Starloans
12-15-2003, 09:30 AM
Personally, I like this one. :D
Nice Boat

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-15-2003, 09:33 AM
:confused: :confused: can't see anything..

Starloans
12-15-2003, 09:38 AM
Let me try that again. This is the one that I like.
Nice Boat (http://server1.offshoreonly.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?db=boats&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=3858&query=retrieval)

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-15-2003, 09:43 AM
much better.. thanks.. :D

Starloans
12-15-2003, 09:44 AM
Make sure you scroll down.
:D

Starloans
12-15-2003, 09:57 AM
Please be careful at the boat shows. You can get a "good deal" but you can also get the "high hard one". I know people who claim that have gotten both. I have never bought at the show. But I recommend you still shop and ask all the ?s at the show that you would at the dealer. My .02.
Whad da ya think the gas mileage is on the triple 575s?? :confused: Hey, but it has corian counter tops!! :D

TrojanDan
12-15-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
That's alot of money to pay for a used boat when you can get a new one for less then that depending on your requirements.
Spending $50k-$60k is not alot of money at all for a used (year or two old) 28'+ boat considering they are in the high $70k's and up range brand new.
Tab, if your going in the ocean, get as big as you can afford. You won't regret it. PerfectionDetail has a very nice boat listed for sale.
Good-luck. :cool:

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
12-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Dana Boats. I like them pice sounds right, new boat, close to you. Sorry pic so big but this way someone can read it. Nice boatshttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/519/499dana_27_boat.jpg

Havaparty
12-15-2003, 12:16 PM
Are you interested in new or used? I have several of both.

LASERRAY
12-15-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by TrojanDan
Spending $50k-$60k is not alot of money at all for a used (year or two old) 28'+ boat considering they are in the high $70k's and up range brand new.
Tab, if your going in the ocean, get as big as you can afford. You won't regret it. PerfectionDetail has a very nice boat listed for sale.
Good-luck. :cool: You're right! That's my bad. I thought that he was looking for 21' to 23', not 24' to 28'.:o

Tab
12-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Havaparty.....I'm probably looking at used. If for some reason I could get a great deal on new, I might go that way. What do you have. Tab

PerfectionDtail
12-16-2003, 02:29 PM
Tab,
Would you be interested in a very clean 2001 Magic Wizard 29'?
500HP, boat is loaded with options and high perfromance accessories. Boat has 100 hours.

PerfectionDtail
12-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Here is another picture...

PerfectionDtail
12-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Damn, here it is....

PerfectionDtail
12-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Cockpit

Kachina26
12-16-2003, 11:40 PM
I shopped everywhere and spoke to a lot of builders, there are many quality boats to be had. I found Kachina and really liked what they have to offer (26 foot starts at 65k fully equipped). One thing I liked about Kachina was that they offer unlimited colors and any design you can think of for interior and exterior.But, like any of the builders mentioned I would check it out for yourself. There's a boat show coming up in January in Phoenix, Kachina will be there. As to new or used, I like the idea of picking out everything for myself and knowing the full history of the boat is mine. I've seen people do many questionable things with their toys and swear that it's had the best care. Maybe it's just the control freak in me but I want to be the first owner of my boat. That being said, there are many good, well maintained and cared for used boats out there. Have fun in your search and Good luck.:) Check out Kachina out of Phoenix (http://www.kachinaboats.com)

PerfectionDtail
12-17-2003, 12:01 PM
This is the perfect big, but not too big boat. Trailers well too.

Havaparty
12-18-2003, 10:26 AM
Tab I have not heard back from you about what type of boat you are looking for? Let me know I have several

OGShocker
12-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
Dana Boats. I like them pice sounds right, new boat, close to you. Sorry pic so big but this way someone can read it. Nice boats
http://www.danaboats.com/images/27_1.jpg
The boat in the brochure is for sale! I posted it in the HOT BOAT (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36751) section. Check on that post for details.....
OGS

Tab
12-21-2003, 10:45 AM
Thank God for patience and T.V.....Today I found THE boat....I'm going to get me one of those Italian fiberglass and baloon diesel powered bad boys that ran in on of the P classes in the APBA finals that were on the tube today. That thing hauled ass and boy is she purdy to look at.........