PDA

View Full Version : 2000 BMW 750 12 Cyl...anybody know much about this car?

hd&boatrider
12-14-2003, 09:31 PM
I know somebody getting rid of a 2000 BMW 750 with apx 50K miles. He has to let it go before the end of the year and I wanted to see if any of you guys know much about this model car. What would be a good deal for it? I know the KBB lists somewhere between $35K and $40K. When new it cost around $112K. It is in excellant shape by the way and he has been 140MPH in it.....

locogringo
12-14-2003, 09:42 PM
I'd say it's a good deal anywhere in that price. Many of the new 7 series are having warranty problems (computer related) from what I hear. It is one of my favorite sedans out there right now. I know lots of folks who are going for the pre new model until these little annoying problems go away.
Kind of hard to beat a 4 year everything covered (except tires) warranty including maintenance.
If you don't buy it, someone will snag it quick.

beyondhelpin
12-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Dont know anything about the car but they sure are sweet to look at!

MagicMtnDan
12-14-2003, 11:21 PM
Just my advice - stay away from used German cars - all used German cars. Unless they have extended factory warranties, you're looking at some of the most expensive cars to maintain.
They're great cars. Handle incredibly well, accelerate like rockets and everyone loves how they look but don't go for a used one without a warranty unless you (a) have lots of money, (b) a close relationship with a trustworthy mechanic, and (c) don't mind spending a lot of your money with your mechanic.
If it has an extended warranty you'll be just fine...until it runs out. The electronics on those late model German cars are very sophisticated systems (and they're the reason Mercedes' initial quality has dropped like a stone in the lake). You do not want to pay to have them fixed or trannies repaired/replaced, etc.
Want a great used car? Buy Japanese (Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura are the two best car manufacturers in the world - in my opinion).
Good luck!

bigq
12-14-2003, 11:43 PM
Call Taylor Co. BMW.It is an independent service center where we take our BMW. they will tell you if the car has any inheirent problems, been great and reasonable for us. Number is 909-593-6878

TOBTEK
12-15-2003, 08:07 AM
the old 750 is a very good car...id say buy a 740 over the 750 although (much more dependable!) ALSO keep in mind a 2000 750 can be had WAY back of book(they are soft!). Just my .02 for about the same money you could get a really nice "CERTIFIED PRE OWND" factory car. With 2-3% interest rate and 100,000 mile warranty included for free. As far as the above post about all the expensive BMW maintence cost.......ahhhhhhh NO! maybe in the years past, not anymore! if you get a new car, the factory pay's for EVERYTHING except gas & tires for 4/50......

bigq
12-15-2003, 09:15 AM
I'm with Tobtek on that, the new cars are free, I think for 4 years or 50k. They even do the wipers and brakes i think.
As for the older ones we have a 94 525 with 72k and the price for maintenance is not that bad, as long as you don't go to dealer. I would suggest a BMW certified techs though.
I was not a big fan of the cars like BMW and Mercedes till i got one for my wife and they are worth the money. That straight 6 hauls ass to Vegas:D

mikev
12-15-2003, 11:06 AM
they still cost alot to maintain we ahd a 1990 560 sel we bought had 90k miles on it drives great but still cost a fortune to fix. and I have a buddy who owns a mercedes shop. I do alot of the maintainace my self but i still spent of 4k on it last year getting it fixed sucks considering i only spent 12 on the car. I didnt spend that much on my s-10 for maintaince in the 12 years i owned it.

Havaparty
12-15-2003, 12:02 PM
I spent 6 years as a service advisor for Dinan BMW Performance.
I've seen 2000 7 series cars in great shape and many in very poor shape. The maitainence on the 750 is what costs the most
Plan on spending at least $3000.00 to $3500.00 per year in
just routine maintainence. These cars ride as well as they do much in part to every suspension conponent being dampened by rubber mounts in some way. For instance if the engine developes an oil leak which is overseen for a extended period of time that oil will soak the rubber causing it to fall apart. Have the car inspected before purchase. You will have to take care of two 6 cylinder motors don't forget. Good luck.
p.s. these cars are alot of fun with twin turbos

bigq
12-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by mikev
they still cost alot to maintain we ahd a 1990 560 sel we bought had 90k miles on it drives great but still cost a fortune to fix. and I have a buddy who owns a mercedes shop. I do alot of the maintainace my self but i still spent of 4k on it last year getting it fixed sucks considering i only spent 12 on the car. I didnt spend that much on my s-10 for maintaince in the 12 years i owned it.
Good milage for a 1990. I think you stretch it a bit comparing a Chevy S-10 cost to a Mercedes cost. Obviously it will be more.:wink:

MagicMtnDan
12-15-2003, 12:43 PM
Guys, he said the car has approximately 45,000 miles on it. If the warranty is not yet up, it will be. And then it's siphon the wallet time for maintenance UNLESS he gets an extended warranty from BMW.
It is a great car. It also costs a lot of money to maintain.
My suggestion is to either get a new one or get one with a lot of warranty left on it (and free oil changes, etc.).

hd&boatrider
12-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the replys.....I thought that the cost of the car made it a pretty good deal. I don't need the thing but thought WTF! I really am not too concerned about spending for maintenance but $3,500. a year sounds like an awful lot...I don't care what car you are talking about. $3,500 a year for routine maint is a lot.
I probably would not buy it unless I can pick it up for about $25K which is a slight possibility. Drive it for a while and then turn it.....
Thanks again

Ziggy
12-15-2003, 01:06 PM
H&D,
Great car, soft when it comes to used prices but if its been well cared for you should have many years of good service from it. I'm with Toby as far as preferring a 740 over the 750...the 740 is more reliable and cost less to operate let alone maintain. If you want you can call me here at work and I'll answer anything you like. Continental Motors BMW, 760-722-1868.
Ziggy

mikev
12-15-2003, 01:09 PM
i know it was an apples to oranges comparison just making the point that you can buy a used german luxury car allot cheaper but it still cost a whole lot to maintain them.

Havaparty
12-15-2003, 01:11 PM
That's what BMW stand for Big Money Waster

hd&boatrider
12-15-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
H&D,
Great car, soft when it comes to used prices but if its been well cared for you should have many years of good service from it. I'm with Toby as far as preferring a 740 over the 750...the 740 is more reliable and cost less to operate let alone maintain. If you want you can call me here at work and I'll answer anything you like. Continental Motors BMW, 760-722-1868.
Ziggy
Thanks Ziggy....Lets see what the guys wants for it first. It may be atotal non-issue.

al cole'holic
12-15-2003, 02:02 PM
...740 or 750, I got a nice set AC Shnitzers for a good price for you :D

Ziggy
12-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by al cole'holic
...740 or 750, I got a nice set AC Shnitzers for a good price for you :D
You still got those things??? I just took down the worn picture from our parts dept bulletin board

nodigg
12-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Tom, I vote....DON"T DO IT! Linda has a little Beemer and it is a hoot to drive and like every one says, expensive to mantain.... and we bought it new! But mostly I don't think you are a "used" kinda guy are ya'? Can you say, "turnkey" ? LOL!

hd&boatrider
12-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by nodigg
Tom, I vote....DON"T DO IT! Linda has a little Beemer and it is a hoot to drive and like every one says, expensive to mantain.... and we bought it new! But mostly I don't think you are a "used" kinda guy are ya'? Can you say, "turnkey" ? LOL!
Turn key.....You know that is an other subject all together! It is Annabelles boyfriend and he is buying a boat. He just wants to basically get rid of it. He has his new truck, the BMW and a Lexus. Says he doesn't need all three. I was only thinking about doing it because I could get it at a very good price. I have not driven it but it looks very well maintained as he has told me the service he has had done on it. Probably will end up not doing it though but if I was going to get a BMW I would love anything in the 700 series.
WTF are you posting for. Get back to work GD it! lol Go stack some more benjamins.....:) I am out in BHC and have the bike. Call me if you want to go for a ride over the next couple of days.