PDA

View Full Version : Question on Alfa 1drive

Stupid Fast
05-14-2002, 09:08 AM
When running on land I know that water should come from the area circled in green. But I also have water spraying(not alot) from behind the lower unit in the area circled in yellow. Is this OK?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Eric
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/20025143597449865799274.jpg
[This message has been edited by Stupid Fast (edited May 15, 2002).]

stressedout
05-14-2002, 09:24 AM
The area in green is where the exhaust bellows is, and when you have the drive up as you do in the picture the bellows seperates. You might have a split in the water hose, it's 3/4 and is where you indicate in yellow. Check the hose by raising it all the way up and look at it. If it's ok then your probaly just spraying water back to that point. Always run it in the down position on the trailer as it will bind the u joints if it's up. When running in the down position on the trailer you will see the water come out of the prop. Hope this helps!

Stupid Fast
05-14-2002, 09:33 AM
Thanks. The Water is kinda spraying out of the housing where the shifter fork connects to the lower half(kinda hard to explain but I may be able to get a pic of it if needed). It is not coming from the bellows(first thing I checked).
P.S. How the hell do you grease the lower pivot on the gimbal? There is no greese fitting.
Thanks again
Eric

Stupid Fast
05-15-2002, 08:31 AM
Don't try this at home. I started the boat. Then I climed under the trailer adn found that it was the bellows leaking at the conection to the lower unit. It is a small stream of water. Does this need fixed? No water enters the boat and when siting the bellows is full of water any how. What do you think? the bellows itself is ok and very pliable.
Thanks
Eric

stressedout
05-15-2002, 09:46 AM
ERIC, What yr. is the boat and have the bellows ever been replaced? As I tried to expain in my prev. post, The exhaust bellows is made to split. I F YOU HAVE YOUR DRIVE ALL THE WAY DOWN, you may have to lower the tongue,the majority of the water will come out of the center of the prop.If your running it in the position your pic. shows then the water will come out where the ex. bell. splits.

Stupid Fast
05-15-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by stressedout:
ERIC, What yr. is the boat and have the bellows ever been replaced? As I tried to expain in my prev. post, The exhaust bellows is made to split. I F YOU HAVE YOUR DRIVE ALL THE WAY DOWN, you may have to lower the tongue,the majority of the water will come out of the center of the prop.If your running it in the position your pic. shows then the water will come out where the ex. bell. splits.
After looking at it again your post made sense. I also went down to My local boat dealer(not about this) and saw two boats that were being dewinterized. They both had water coming from the same spot. My boat is a 95. The only way I can run my boat from the trailer is to put the toung on the ground and trim douwn until the up switch works. The drive is up some just for the picture.
Thanks
Eric

stressedout
05-15-2002, 11:28 AM
A 95 model should be fine as far as the condition of the bellows, unless it stays in the water for long periods , then you will want to keep a close eye on them. They will last longer if you store the boat with the drive straight and in the down pos.Theres no stress on them that way. Hope I helped a little.