PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic (pop-corn) Ceilings

WILDERTHANU
12-16-2003, 07:36 PM
I JUST PURCHASED A HOME AND I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THESE REMOVED AND A TEXTURED CEILING APPLIED. I WANT TO ACHIEVE A MORE UPDATED LOOK, AND INSTAL CROWN MOLDINGS. WHAT WOULD THE COST BE ON THE LIVING ROOM. OR EVEN THE WHOLE 1,200 SQFT HOUSE. ANY INFO GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Mandelon
12-16-2003, 07:44 PM
I've seen unlicensed guys go for $99 a room, but that's pretty crazy. $1.25 to $1.75 a square foot to scrape it and retexture is about right for a licensed and insured contractor. Price depends upon if the flooring is going, furniture and the height of the ceilings and the size of the house.
Remember to check for asbestos is built in the 1970's or before. Some textures are actually a stucco like cementious mix and those have to be skimmed or rocked over. Also if it has been previously painted they will want extra $$$ cuz that makes it harder to remove.

WILDERTHANU
12-16-2003, 07:49 PM
YA.....I WAS GOING TO TAKE IT OFF MYSELF FOR SURE.

TOBTEK
12-16-2003, 07:51 PM
WISH you lived closer to SanDiego(love those side jobs). I grew up in a drywall family., grew up scraping alot of ceilings.Dad owns a drywall co, as does my brother! Down here in SD the going rate is apx1.50- 2.00 a SF to remove and put up a hand texture. You should do it yourself....its really pretty easy to do, just very messy! If you want to do it yourself email me at TOBTEK@AOL.COM I'll give ya some tips.........

Bense468
12-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Hit me up Geoff. I am having this done to my house also. I did a little barter system so I am having my hole house textured for free. I can tell you all about this.

TOBTEK
12-16-2003, 07:54 PM
BTW: you maybe want to call my brothers company....IF you two come to an agreement to might be able to send up one of his crews and blow it out in a day....I just did a small condo with 1 helper in about 3/4 of a day.....apx 1200sf. IT REALLY IS EASY THOUGH.....just be carefull with your new texture..I've seen some really bad hack job's....

TOBTEK
12-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
whats your dads comp name?
dad's is ZACHRY'S DRYWALL in ESCONDIDO,Ca.....& bro's is BAYSIDE DRYWALL in Carlsbad, Ca

TOBTEK
12-16-2003, 08:00 PM
i know your dad ,i worked at esc building mat ,a long time ago
wow....small world! So you know that Lenny is still there! He was there when I was just a kid in school, and now he still sells me my stuff when I go in there.....life'r! Did Terry EVER crack a smile?

Jordy
12-16-2003, 08:01 PM
They make a scraper deal that you attach to a roller handle. Home Depot had them when I did mine. It even had a little railing that you can attach a bag to so you can catch all the crap as it's scraped off. The trick is to really wet it down so you get it all off. Otherwise, when you try to paint it, the moisture from the paint will pull the remaining popcorn residue down and the paint comes with it. I learned that little dealio the hard way. When I did my house, I gutted it and started over, so bringing the garden hose in and wetting it down was not a problem. :D

TOBTEK
12-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
They make a scraper deal that you attach to a roller handle. Home Depot had them when I did mine. It even had a little railing that you can attach a bag to so you can catch all the crap as it's scraped off. The trick is to really wet it down so you get it all off. Otherwise, when you try to paint it, the moisture from the paint will pull the remaining popcorn residue down and the paint comes with it. I learned that little dealio the hard way. When I did my house, I gutted it and started over, so bringing the garden hose in and wetting it down was not a problem. :D
id REALLY REALLY requiremend using a Hudson sprayer...to much water in drywall=very big problems! BUT if your gutting it...."RIP AND TEAR WITH NO DISPAIR!"

WILDERTHANU
12-16-2003, 08:06 PM
TOBTEK, I SENT YOU A PM.....

TOBTEK
12-16-2003, 08:06 PM
i started when lynn did ,about 100 years ago ,when don and terry own it ,terry is a great boss,tell lynn mark(mad dog) said hi ,i haven't takl to lynn in a long time
YOU could call him...he just had some gnarley neck surgury:frown: ....they had to fuse his spine........yikes

WILDERTHANU
12-16-2003, 08:08 PM
THESE FORUMS CAN BE SO COOL SOMETIMES. THANX EVERYONE FOR THE INFO. ANYMORE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AS WELL!!

Kilrtoy
12-16-2003, 08:10 PM
Remember to check for asbestos is built in the 1970's or before
mandelon you smart guy grasshopper
you may just have to spray over and flatten to achieve a moden look.....

TRG
12-16-2003, 08:10 PM
Marc Bangma 562-260-8744 he is a general just starting out! he is a perfectionist and is hungry! he'll treat you well ! and is an honest american! todd

Wet Dream
12-16-2003, 08:12 PM
Hell, 25+ years ago I would have been jumping on the bed and scraping it off with my hands just to watch the mess it made. My parents didn't like it so much. :D

TOBTEK
12-16-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by WILDERTHANU
TOBTEK, I SENT YOU A PM.....
I send a P/M as well.....give me a call, toby

TOBTEK
12-16-2003, 08:21 PM
i had a friend and he says ,they paid me big money to put that shit on ,now they pay me big money to take that shit off:D
pops says the same thing.....pops was one of the main guys for years for wyland....remember that dude...wow, I think pops sprayed about half of sanDiego himself.....

TOBTEK
12-16-2003, 08:31 PM
im sure he will....then he'd cruise over to the comstock for more and beer sausage's....those rocked!...off to home now...have a good night......

al cole'holic
12-16-2003, 09:04 PM
I JUST PURCHASED A HOME AND I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THESE REMOVED AND A TEXTURED CEILING APPLIED. I WANT TO ACHIEVE A MORE UPDATED LOOK, AND INSTAL CROWN MOLDINGS. WHAT WOULD THE COST BE ON THE LIVING ROOM. OR EVEN THE WHOLE 1,200 SQFT HOUSE. ANY INFO GREATLY APPRECIATED.
You really want to go a good cheap way, do a rough scrape yourself and drywall right over it. You will now have brand new drywall surface to work with and your texture guy will be VERY happy with that rather than the old shiat...:D

bear down
12-16-2003, 09:39 PM
My parents just had their home done in the City of West Covina. Same Sq. footage and they scraped off the Popcorn of the Plaster ceiling which meant the guy had to replaster and his did the ceilings in all the bedrooms (4) including the restrooms (2) kitchen, living room, dining room for a total of $1800.00. He did a light knockdown on the ceiling and a heavy on the walls. He also primed and painted the ceiling. He also included fixing all cracks (stress) and any damage to the walls. He did a clean job. It took him 3 days to finish the work. He is non licensed but he has done other homes of people I've known, I was referred to him by a friend and he is the real deal. Let me know if you want his number.

TOBTEK
12-17-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by bear down
My parents just had their home done in the City of West Covina. Same Sq. footage and they scraped off the Popcorn of the Plaster ceiling which meant the guy had to replaster and his did the ceilings in all the bedrooms (4) including the restrooms (2) kitchen, living room, dining room for a total of $1800.00. He did a light knockdown on the ceiling and a heavy on the walls. He also primed and painted the ceiling. He also included fixing all cracks (stress) and any damage to the walls. He did a clean job. It took him 3 days to finish the work. He is non licensed but he has done other homes of people I've known, I was referred to him by a friend and he is the real deal. Let me know if you want his number.
thats the deal of a lifetime.....

Mandelon
12-17-2003, 08:33 AM
Don't forget to add in the risk of 6 months in jail and up to $10,000 fine for contracting without a license.....:rolleyes:

78Eliminator
12-17-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by TOBTEK
dad's is ZACHRY'S DRYWALL in ESCONDIDO,Ca.....& bro's is BAYSIDE DRYWALL in Carlsbad, Ca
That sounds familiar. You know, my dad used to own a plumbing company in Escondido called Merit Plumbing Inc. The company did a lot of repipes for houses with plastic polybutylene pipes that started to crack up. Anyway, we had a lot of drywall subcontractors to help put the houses back together. Were you one of them?
Justin

TRIMDOG
12-17-2003, 09:01 AM
If there are gold sparkles in the acoustic spray that can sometimes be an indicator of the "asbestos era". Wet it down with the hudson real well regardless. Your lungs will appreciate it.

bear down
12-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Don't forget to add in the risk of 6 months in jail and up to $10,000 fine for contracting without a license.....:rolleyes:
You had to go and spoil it didn't you!:D
Actually we wanted to go with a licenced contractor but most of the estimates that we received (3) were in the range of $4,200-4,500 which did not include repair work. There was too much of a price difference not to go with who we did. How does that work anyways, who gets the fine the person who does the work or the person who hired the non-licenced contractor? But this guy did a Kick Ass job. I can show pic's if anyone is interested.