PDA

View Full Version : Iceless Cooler

likwidsukr
12-16-2003, 08:02 PM
Anyone use one of those 12volt heater\warmer that I keep seeing everywhere?
If so does it workgood?
Who makes a good large one?

locogringo
12-16-2003, 08:43 PM
only cools about 30 degrees from the ambient temperature (outside temp at the time).
Wouldn't cool enough in the summer months in Havasu or the river.

likwidsukr
12-17-2003, 05:12 AM
WOW ! so if it is 90 it cools to 60 deg. That is not much.

rrrr
12-17-2003, 07:59 AM
Yep, that's all they can do. In the spring or fall on camping trips mine is great. I plug it in a day ahead of time, refrigerate everything first, and it does the job.
One drawback is that there is no thermostat, so if it's below 50 degrees or so the stuff in the cooler will freeze.
Not a bad gadget to have around if the circumstances are right.

Quality Time
12-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Do you have the option of using ice in them when plugged in? Curious if the ice will last longer than a conventional cooler on those hot days while maintaining ice cold river sodas.

Rvr2Bch
12-17-2003, 11:10 AM
I walked by the 12v cooler in the store and just had to have one. It holds just 8 cans, takes more floor space than a regular 12 pack ice chest, AND doesn't keep stuff that cold. Since I got an "A" in ice chest class in college, I'm going back to basics.

rrrr
12-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Quality Time
Do you have the option of using ice in them when plugged in? Curious if the ice will last longer than a conventional cooler on those hot days while maintaining ice cold river sodas.
No, the directions emphatically state not to put ice in the cooler. Water will short out the electronic module that makes it all work.
I guess you could freeze water in plastic soda bottles or other sealed containers though. Hmmmmm.....
Hey Rvr2bch, if you're like me, I always find myself buying beers somewhere and also buying ANOTHER styrofoam cooler to keep it cold. Shit, I think there must be 8 or 10 of 'em in my garage.... :D

Quality Time
12-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Thanks rrr. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new boat and I have two options: Frig or Thermo Coolers. Now I need to see if the Frig. will get colder than 30 degrees below ambient.

Rvr2Bch
12-17-2003, 11:45 AM
rrr-
That's a fact. I have at least 3 chests at the next place I'm going to. I just put away the plug-in. Hey, maybe I just found that special Xmas gift.
Anyway, getting ready to drive to Havasu for a sunset cruise under the bridge with HOT drinks!!

likwidsukr
12-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Thank you for the info on the coolers guys . Will say me a few bucks!!!